SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

On backing down and just walking away ...

User
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I was shocked and deeply saddened to learn of a shooting that happened yesterday in the parking lot of the grocery store where we routinely shop. Apparently there was a "discussion" between two men over a door ding that one inflicted to the vehicle of the other that escalated into an altercation with both men making threats that they had guns. When one "made a move" behind his back that the other deemed threatening, the other shot him numerous times. The man who was shot (who did not, as it turns out, have a gun) died at a local hospital. He was 28 years old, married with a young daughter and was soon to become a father for the second time.

It's all so pointless and stupid. One man's life is gone. The lives of his wife and children are permanently altered. The man who did the shooting - his life, and that of his family is also changed forever. Even the lives of those who work at the grocery store have changed. Nobody "deserved" this, and it breaks my heart.

I am not posting to stir up a hornet's nest of discussion about guns. I feel pretty strongly about guns myself, but that's neither here nor there. What I believe a situation like this speaks to is possessing the ability - the inner strength, if you will - to back down and not allow a situation to escalate. I think this speaks to the importance of not engaging with a stranger over a perceived slight, even if there is property damage involved. I even think this speaks to us all in paying close attention to how we interact with other drivers on the road, particularly those who are aggressive or erratic. I confess that I sometimes struggle with wanting to make eye contact and stare them down, wanting to throw my hands up at them as though to indicate how idiotic they are. (My desire to raise my middle finger has waned, but that's not to say that I'm always passive when it comes to letting my annoyance be known.)

I write these things to encourage myself, as well as others, to remain calm in all situations, and if things become heated - disengage instantly. Walk away. Hell, run away if you have to. Forget about standing up for yourself and your "rights" when it comes to something that is inconsequential in the overall scheme of things. If it becomes even remotely clear to you that you're dealing with someone who is "not quite right" - get yourself away from them as quickly as you possibly can. Please.

I thought perhaps this would be a good place to share de-escalation strategies and thoughts on how to become a good peacemaker.

Comments (40)