SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smm5525

Cabinet errors: what would you do?

smm5525
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I've had a few errors in my custom cabinets that were made by a local cabinetmaker who is also our contractor. Looking for thoughts and advice:

1)Two banks of drawers were made wrong size ( I wanted widths to be 22 and 14 and they made 18 and 18). Cabinets are not made in individual boxes and I noticed after install and bought it to their attention. Well, they would have to uninstall the entire wall and connected wall of cabinet bases and take back to shop. But, template for countertop was already schedule that day and they were going to proceed. Because I feared damage to cabinets and more importantly, issues with countertop based on template of existing, I didnt want to risk them uninstalling and fixing the error and reluctantly accepted

2) one side of shallow pantry cabinet was supposed to have a bottom shelf to store step stool. It's about 24" wide by 8" deep. Except they put a center divide there. The in house KD knew it was to put a step stool. The center divide was mistakenly added because the maker thought it was supposed to be drawers (not at 8" deep, lol!) Now, they are saying I signed off and to fix by removing center divide would be extra. CabineT is installed and it's probably going to look like a hack job with the face frame.

Any thoughts on what I can use this space for? I was thinking of adding tilt out so we can store reusable grocery bags in there . Of course, I would ask them to amend it free of charge as that would be better than trying to remove the divide and mess up face frame.

3) top drawers were supposed to have even railes and stiles. Instead, they cut the rails down on the top drawer. Drawer face is wide enough to accommodate this plus my handles. This was discussed in depth. I haven't quite bought this to their attention yet as it's Sat.

4) huge gouge in my island leg by worker. They said this will be patched

5) numerous scratches on my existing hardwood floors ( they will pay to repair)

6) other scratches on my new french door (they will touch up)

7) stages sink I specifically requested accessories sit flush with countertop and countertop was delivered and it wasn't going to be flush. Fabricator suggested any fix to it would compromise support of sink so I accepted and let them install as is.

i know accidents and mistakes happen. I was fully ready to accept some of these as mistakes but with the pantry cabinet and them threatening to charge for such an easy fix, it's leaving me with bad feelings about this. They know I'm picky and have been fairly decent in assuring me things will be fixed. But no compensation was offered for their errors yet the pantry cabinet they want to charge me to fix even though it's their error. The plans don't show inside the cabinet and her understanding was for me to store step stool. No step stool is going to fit in a 8 x 8 x 8 box! The center divide is only on the bottom portion but not the entire cabinet! They made the mistake of adding center divide on mistaken belief it was to be drawers (this was admitted to me by one of the workers who bought it to owners attention as he was making the cabinet) and by owner himself when I called about it.

Of note, This is a professional local contractor. Was definitely not the cheapest bid, and in fact, was the most expensive.

Would you ask for discount for errors that you've accepted, especially ones that can't be fixed?

Comments (41)