SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenposter

Breeder recommendation for Goldendoodle and Labradoodle

azmom
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Based on the research we have been doing for more than one year, we are considering to get a Goldendoodle or Labradoodle puppy from a reputable breeder. Getting a dog is adding a new member to our family, which is a huge commitment; we do not take it lightly.

On Pets Forum there are many happy owners who own Goldendoodle or Labradoodle. May we have your recommendation of the breeder where you got your dog from? Your inputs will be very appreciated.

Comments (47)

• christine 5b
    7 years ago

Have you looked into rescues or your local shelters? I'm all for getting mine through adoption, just a thought.

azmom thanked christine 5b
  • Related Discussions

poodle-lab or poodle-retriever crosses

Q

Comments (48)
    Our two Mini-labradoodles (2nd generation)have different types of hair from each other. Our female, Andi has wiry hair on her back but her legs, head are soft and wavy/curly. She doesn't shed hair on our clothes or furniture but when you comb her, especially on her thick back fur, you will get it in the comb. Amos, our black male, has more poodle like hair, soft, its wavy to thick curls. We cut his hair about every other week to keep the mats down, which was a real problem when he was swimming this summer. Now it is not such a problem and we let him go a little longer. I do find little curls like on the carpet where he scratches them out, mostly from around his neck or ears. Either that or his sister pulls them out playing! Our breeder did not promise that they wouldn't shed at all, but that there would be less than other breeds like our Brittany. We certainly have less shedding than with either our Brittany or our Cockapoo. Hers was more like fuzz when she shed. He did tell us that they would need combing and that daily would be the best route to go. Luckily, they both love to be combed and its part of our nightly routine while we are on the floor with them. I agree (QQ know this) that they are very sweet, lovable, and smart.
    ...See More

Obama lied about puppy!!!

Q

Comments (45)
    I DO have real facts behind me!. I've done lots of research and read books, seen videos. You-tube isn't all dumb, its just isn't regulated- meaning people can be more honest there then in CNN without getting into trouble- Just like Brkbr447 said about lies. OR..... they can be jerks. no buddy cares, no buddy worries about what'll sell in the headline without a lawsuit or court hearing from purina.... or Iams. Its up to you to decide what's real and what isn't. LIke I know Tuna is bad for cats/ as is attaching ballons on them in gobal warming dreams about "saving the world"- jerks on you tube don't- I know thats a lie... but when you see pet rendering videos, you KNOW thats real simply because we are in such an economenic crisis right now, what else CAN they do?? $$ wise, other then sell bodies to pet food companyes.. whatever brings in money is what they'd do. The only way for the FDA to 100% stop all dog/cat food horrors and make it all better is to make dog and cats legally meat that people can consume like livestock, cows,sheep,pigs/ect, and thats NOT going to happen. Ignorance and arrogance are VERY common in people these days in EVERYTHING for pets to baby shampoo..
    ...See More

Hypoallergenic Dog Recommendations

Q

Comments (2)
    One way to meet a huge variety of dogs as well as serious, dedicated, long-term breeders is to attend a couple of all-breed dog shows. Except for when the dogs are just about to enter the ring for their classes, you will find that the owners, breeders, handlers, and groomers are more than willing to talk to you, answer all of your questions, and let you meet their dogs. These people DO NOT want their precious pups to end up in the wrong home and they will be BRUTALLY honest about whether a breed is right for you. Plus you get up close and personal with so many kinds of dogs! Besides their own dogs, breeders often know of other dogs that are available in the area. To find shows near you, go to www.infodog.com, then click Show Information, then click Search by State. InfoDog lists all kinds of shows and events including all-breed, specific breed or group, obedience, agility, and so forth, so you can really get a great idea of what the various breeds can do and what you can do with them. Also, try breed-specific rescue groups. Dogs end up in rescue for a lot of reason, not always because they have problems. You can find groups on the Internet - just google 'poodle rescue' or whatever. You can also meet a lot of great dogs and people at adoption/rescue events - google 'dog adoption event' or 'dog rescue event'. It may take a bit longer to go the breed rescue route, if you are looking for something very specific, but if you are seriously looking, it's worth meeting and staying in contact with the various groups so that they'll remember you when an appropriate dog comes into their care. Oh, and (never had one, but have known many) ALL poodles are NOT psycho biters!!! Good luck! Here is a link that might be useful: InfoDog dog shows by state:
    ...See More

Can you/the average person tell a puppy mill from a good breeder?

Q

Comments (48)
    I came across this message board when I saw the reference to Mustardseed Ranch Doodles. I have no personal affiliation with them other than being an owner of one of their dogs, a beautiful 9 1/2 year old F1B Goldendoodle who is a healthy sweet dog who we treasure. I had researched breeders back in 2010 when we lost a Goldendoodle at the young age of 3 1/2 from a sudden heart problem which had not been identified by our vet. We had purchased it from a breeder who we later discovered was running a puppy mill. After that tragedy, we sought out a reputable breeder who was concerned with heart, hip and eye health and we discovered Mustard Seed. I put down a deposit in January 2011 when the litter was born and I was in touch with the owner, Wendi through the weeks of development. She sent us photos of the litter, each identified by collar color, a description of their temperaments (which pups played well with others, which were more dominant, which gravitated toward her own children, etc.). She sent us links to youtube videos on a special channel of the pups at play. We drove to Ohio from New York to pick out our pup at 5 weeks and the dog actually picked my son out, climbing up his leg, pushing the others away. We saw the home (lovely and clean), the larger pen set up in the house and had a wonderful visit. We arranged a delivery with a retired couple who drove our dog home to us at 8 weeks complete with a toy with the essence of the litter, a personalized blanket, food, treats, chip info, and complete vet and genealogy documents. Before they sent the dog to us, they had worked on housebreaking and they were very successful. Cassidy was and is a truly remarkable dog with the most gentle temperament and personality. As a F1B she doesn't shed but does need proper grooming every 4 to 6 weeks to keep an immaculate coat, free of matting. I loved our experiences with Mustard Seed and thank them for giving us the perfect dog!
    ...See More
  • PRO
    MDLN
    7 years ago

Great information & advice, agree completely!

azmom thanked MDLN
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

I'm not sure why we are all getting up in arms. A major percentage of the dog breeds we now recognize as 'purebreds' came about by intentionally cross breeding two or more quite distinct and documented breeds. In fact, the recently recognized Cesky Terrier is just such a cross (Scottie and Sealyham). Why is this any different?

Considering these so-called 'designer dogs' are bred to feature some of the most desirable characteristics of both breeds and are incredibly popular, I don't doubt that they will eventually be accepted as "true" breeds. Just as countless "designer dog" breeds have been accepted over the ages.

Humans have been selectively cross breeding domesticated animals for appearance, intent and profit for centuries. This is no different.

azmom thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • PRO
    MDLN
    7 years ago

@ gardengal, This is why people are "up in arms."

azmom thanked MDLN
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

While I can appreciate those statistics, they have nothing to do with the OP's original question. They are a function of irresponsible pet ownership, regardless of the origins of the pet.

As a matter of fact, putting a premium on acquiring a pet - ie, a big price tag - is generally a discouragement for those forking out the cash to neglect, abuse or abandon said pet so that it winds up in a shelter. Or wandering homeless. Especially when one has done some research into the suitability of that pet for their household - as the OP appears to have done - and is requesting a "reputable breeder" rather than a puppy mill source.

I encourage any one to look at a rescue or shelter dog for their next pet but if they are looking for a specific breed or cross breed because that's what THEY want, I have no issue with that. I have had both purebreds and rescues and the pedigreed purebreds did come from a breeder.

azmom thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • gardenerlorisc_ia
    7 years ago

Gardengal: It takes many generations of breeding to get the same uniform characteristics before 2 different breeds forming a new breed will happen. That takes a long time.

I knew of a goldendoodle "breeder". They had this lovely pic on their website with the view in this scenic hills making it look absolutely idyllic. It was a crappy set of buildings set right on a highway and they were getting every intact male and female they could for their "quality" breeding stock. I saw it with my own eyes.

Regardless of what these people say; they are in it for the money and they were making bucketloads of it at $1,500 - $2,000 for a mutt.

Meanwhile like others have said many healthy dogs are euth'ed.

azmom thanked gardenerlorisc_ia
  • Ninapearl
    7 years ago

Considering these so-called 'designer dogs' are bred to feature some of the most desirable characteristics of both breeds and are incredibly popular, I don't doubt that they will eventually be accepted as "true" breeds. Just as countless "designer dog" breeds have been accepted over the ages.

Humans have been selectively cross breeding domesticated animals for appearance, intent and profit for centuries. This is no different.

i'm not disputing for a moment that all pure dog breeds have desirable characteristics. if that is the case, think about the characteristics you want in a dog, do your research, then select a breed. don't put money in the pockets of the byb's which only allows them to carry on these practices.

i will respectfully disagree...this is very different from the selective cross-breeding that has gone on for centuries. these "breeders" (not reputable...just breeders) are not showing either of the dogs that are producing these litters. goldendoodles...is the golden retriever being shown to championship? what about the poodle? of course they aren't because if they were, these people would be breeding a ch. golden to a ch. golden, a ch. poodle to a ch. poodle. the list goes on and on and on. and if i was to guess, not a single one of these breeders is testing for genetic issues.

then there are those who visit a place to pick out one of these puppies and see them being raised in deplorable conditions. they put out the $$$ to buy the puppy and then pat themselves on the back because they "rescued" the puppy from those awful conditions. if you paid ANY amount of money, you did not rescue. you simply put money in the pockets of these people who treat their animals as nothing more than money machines.

sorry, i'm just very passionate about this subject. if you haven't been through the experience of acquiring and falling in love immediately with a dog in need only to lose it suddenly and unexpectedly to a genetic issue, you cannot possibly understand the heartache.

azmom thanked Ninapearl
  • Renee Texas
    7 years ago

Our shelter often has both of these as 6mo puppies, so it may be worth looking into a shelter/rescue. You can request a breed/sex here, and they'll call if one comes in (there is some time limit- 2 mo? and you'd need to get back on list).

azmom thanked Renee Texas
  • azmom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Many thanks for the inputs, as well as for sharing your believes so passionately.

No, we are not jumping on the 'designer dog' trend. As a fact, we only learned about this terminology after we started our search.

We are responsible dog owners; unfortunately we lost our beloved dog 25 years ago. Off and on he is still in our conversations. Searching for a new dog now is that we believe we could take on dog owners’ responsibilities again.

We have been doing lots of reading and listening, talking with dog owners (owning regular, therapy and service dogs) and dog trainers. We visited dog-grooming salons and local animal shelters. Weighting in our life style and situation, we keep on coming back to the conclusion that we would like to have a Labardoodle or Goldendoodle puppy.

There are many happy owners of Labradoodles and Goldendoodles. I doubt they are all under-informed dog owners.

There are many dog breeders of Labradoodles and Goldendoodles; I doubt they are all money hungry, ignorant breeders. I hope we could talk to the happy doodles owners learning about their experience. More important, we wanted to check out the breeders from whom they got their dogs; as it is part of our research.

I understand your feelings regarding dogs in shelters. We have visited a few shelters and realized we are not capable of dealing with dogs with unknown history and/or with existing health issues. We want to focus on getting a good puppy, and we want to better prepare ourselves to be good dog owners.

You may want to start a separate thread for your anti-puppy mill (I totally agree), anti-none pure breed dogs (I am not so sure) believes, as it is not the purpose of my original posting.

To dog owners of Goldendoodle and Labradoodles, you are so welcome to send me a message through Home Forum site. Thank you in advance.

• gardenerlorisc_ia
    7 years ago

If you lost your last dog 25 years ago you must be older people. I adopted a 2 YO labradoodle from people who could not keep him anymore. He was still very much a puppy and had way too much energy for this 64 YO woman. I kept him a year in which he tripped me several times. I found the right home for him with a very active family and he is now a service dog for their autistic son. He took to them immediately when they came to visit him.

Just be aware that they seem to never lose the puppy exuberance.

• azmom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

"you must be older people",

Oh, no, my "vain, age-sensitive" husband will be very happy reading this comment. LOL!

Thank you for the advice, it is so very nice of you.

Yes, we are not young any more. But I exercise at least 5-6 days/week, including high impact cardio fitness, hiking, biking, swimming and walking. My husband routinely hikes 12-15 miles on the weekend. It is the reason we rule out small, low energy breeds, we want to have a dog that could hike, walk and swim with us.

Do you know of any breeder selling healthy goldendoodles or labardoodles?

• jilldag
    7 years ago

I read this article a few moths ago. I don't remember why I read it, as I have never owned or even wanted a Labradoodle, but I found it intriguing nonetheless.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/canine-corner/201404/designer-dog-maker-regrets-his-creation

azmom thanked jilldag
  • AnnKH
    7 years ago

I'm always amazed when folks cross two very different breeds, and expect that the result will always have the best characteristics of each parent breed - when they are just as likely to have the worst characteristics of both.

I agree completely with Ninapearl - I have a strong objection to backyard breeders. I've had 4 dogs in my life, all from reliable breeders of show dogs. There are so very many breeds out there - it's hard to imagine a person can't find a breed with just the characteristics they want.

We had a huge lab before our children were born - he was the best dog ever, but took up too much room - especially after we had twins! So when it came time to get a puppy, I researched for months until I found a breed that met all our needs: smart (like the lab), small to medium size, active enough to join us on hiking and canoe trips, tolerant of our northern winters. At long last, I decided a Cardigan Welsh Corgi was just what I was looking for.

The blessing and curse of the Internet is that you can find whatever you want! Only after I decided on this breed did I discover that they are not very common in the US (unlike the Pembroke). I spent another month looking for a reliable breeder, eventually getting a recommendation from the secretary of the breed club in Canada (since I live not too far from Winnipeg). I ended up going to Missoula, MT for my puppy. When he died from cancer 10 years later, I bought a retired show dog from the same breeder. We are firmly hooked on Corgis!

Azmom, what are the specific traits you seek in a dog? Labs, goldens, and poodles are all different; which of their characteristics are you hoping to get? Are you interested in a puppy or an adult dog?

My best advice when choosing any dog breeder is to make sure that they take full responsibility for each pup they produce. Health testing on parents and puppies is important. In the contract with my Corgi breeder, in addition to promising to spay or neuter the dog, I agreed to contact the breeder if, for any reason, I was not able to keep the dog, and she would either take it back, or help me find a new home.

Good luck with your search - my home would not feel complete without a dog. This is Yancy, my adventurous Corgi:

• Ninapearl
    7 years ago

jilldag, that is an EXCELLENT article, thanks for posting it!!

azmom thanked Ninapearl
  • Ninapearl
    7 years ago

ann, we were posting about the same time. yancy is SO adorable!!! i had 2 pems in the past. i lost my female to nasal cancer and my male to Degenerative Myelopathy. i had no idea what DM was until i did some research on simon's symptoms and in my research, learned that his sire died of the same disease.

DM is genetic. unfortunately, many (if not most) pem breeders are burying their heads in the sand and not having their breeding stock tested for the gene. it is not as common in the cardis but it has overtaken the pems by leaps and bounds. there was a time when i used to check the stats at the university of missouri where there is a comprehensive study going on of DM and what breeds it affects most. at one point, i remember reading that out of 900 pems tested (these were owned by the average dog person whose dog was experiencing some sort of paralysis setting in) and over 700 of these dogs tested positive for the gene.

while my passion is great danes, if i could find a corgi breeder that tested for the DM gene and did NOT have it in their lines, i would have another corgi in a heartbeat!!!

this disease is becoming more and more evident in goldens. i would hope that the OP at least asks if the golden sire (or dam) has been tested but the odds it has are slim to none. :(

http://pets.thenest.com/degenerative-myelopathy-golden-retriever-dogs-12294.html

azmom thanked Ninapearl
  • dbarron
    7 years ago

And bear in mind, you are no more likely to get poor health and genetic background from a rescue dog than from a breeder. Genes aren't directly visible. You must wait some years to evaluate some of this stuff (like hips and eyes), though a vet can tell you something with an exam.

Myself, I see so many quality animals (as far as I can tell at least) going through shelters and rescues. I've had about 50% of my dogs from such. I did have one with severe emotional issues once from a shelter. But then my current dog always had a phobia about being held still, and he was from a wonderful breeder. They're all individuals. I think you might get a better idea of personalities by choosing a slightly older dog..and not have to go through chewing and house training either. Just something to think about.

• Ellie RK
    7 years ago

The only thing I can recommend is when looking at breeders, make sure they health test the sire and dam with OFA (Orthopedic Foundation for Animals) for health issues known to the respective breeds (whatever health issues poodles, goldens and labradors have).

Look for breeders who breed strictly for the betterment of the breed, and who do not have multiple litters at the same time, or generally even in a year. They should also introduce you to the mom and dad so you can see their temperament and what conditions they live in.

I own two bulldogs. My four year old came from an AKC breeder which means absolutely nothing. Her dogs are show dogs but she's about as backyard as you can get. Just a disgusting person. I didn't realize that at the time.

My three year old was re-homed to us when he was 13 months old. It was either us or a rescue. He's a pet store dog and the owner runs a bulldog puppy mill in the midwest.

Both have health issues,both have allergies, but one has as terrible temperament and oddly enough it's not the puppy mill dog, it's the breeder dog.

Just goes to show that if you don't do excessive homework on breeders, what happens.

Join goldendoodle or labradoodle FB groups, have people recommend breeders. Make sure they're ethical and health test. To me, that's the most important thing.

Also, you can check local rescues to see if they have these dogs. I'm betting most will have at least one. The more popular the dog, the more overbred they are, the less healthy they are, and the more wind up in rescue or a shelter.

Good luck.

azmom thanked Ellie RK
  • sylviatexas1
    7 years ago

Rescues are different from shelters. Once they take in a dog, they do not stop until they match that dog with a perfect home. They know the dog's temperament, habits, and health. After seeing a TV show filmed at a dog show at which German Shepherd breeders screamed at the cameraman and the reporter and demanded that they leave, and after seeing the German Shepherds stagger around the show ring because they have been so inbred that their hips did not work properly, all in the name of supposedly improving the breed ( actually, changing the terms of confirmation so that you always have to get next year's model), I have decided that there is no such thing as a responsible breeder.

azmom thanked sylviatexas1
  • beegood_gw
    7 years ago

Bad breeders are bad breeders no matter what they raise.Puppy mills are hell on earth for these dogs but they are"Purebred" Is this better than a loving home for Labradoodles or Golden-doodles? Unless you rescue you will be buying a dog from a breeder. And unless its a reputable one with all the health testing you can have just as many problems.Registration papers have nothing to do with the quality of the breed That is up to the breeders that truly care. And many don't.

azmom thanked beegood_gw
  • Ellie RK
    7 years ago

Sylvia- There are some good breeders out there. Unfortunately, they're few and far in between.

I met one (of course when I wasn't looking.) She has two females, mother and daughter. She bred the mother only twice, and kept one girl from the second litter.

Her females have been health tested, are extremely healthy, and have great temperaments. Exactly the kind of dog you want to breed for the betterment of the breed.

If we didn't have these type of breeders, every single pure bred dog would be a mess, Yes, I know at least half are, but not all thanks to some that are responsible.

Personally, I think we need very tough laws on mills, backyard breeders, and even owners who surrender for no reason. We also need laws that regulate breeding. Every idiot shouldn't be allowed to do it for a quick buck.

azmom thanked Ellie RK
  • Ninapearl
    7 years ago

i agree with ellie, there definitely are good/reputable breeders. eden came from one. her uncle henry won best of breed at westminster in 2016. she goes to great pains to match her females with the correct male. most reputable breeders do not keep a male dog because they don't do any inbreeding or even line breeding. with only females, they can go worldwide for the right sire. eden's sire is a champion brindle dane and is from brazil. eden had a litter 7 months before she was retired. these 7 month old pups are now on the show circuit and they are taking the world by storm.

when you are talking about reputable breeders who strive for the betterment of the breed, you cannot include "reputable" in the breeders who are churning out litter after litter of these so called "designer" dogs. there is not even a breed for them to keep pure because the ____doodles and the ____poos are not even breeds. i don't understand why that concept is so hard to grasp.

azmom thanked Ninapearl
  • jaschu77
    7 years ago

I completely understand the desire for a purebred. I've wanted a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel for years and years. But, I live in an area with huge amounts of dogs (including puppies) that are unwanted and euthanized all because irresponsible owners allow their unaltered dogs to roam free. Until that changes, I cannot, in good conscience buy a purebred and that goes for both dogs and cats. And I love Siamese cats...

My mother doesn't agree. She bought a purebred puppy. She did her due diligence by meeting the breeders at their house and the pups mom and dad. They are responsible breeders. She wanted to know what she was getting and she felt more comfortable with a purebred. The dog is adorable but he's no different than any other puppy she would have found at a shelter. He still needs potty training and guidance. He has allergies and a sensitive stomach. Obviously, it's your decision but I hope you'll reconsider buying a purebred and go to your local shelter or rescue group instead.

I also highly recommend the below article. It contains a lot of good information. For example, puppy mills are inspected by the Department of Agriculture. These people also inspect lab animals and farm animals throughout the country. They are stretched thin and it's no wonder a lot of these mills fall through the cracks.

Just be aware before clicking the link, there is a graphic picture at the beginning of the article:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/the-dog-factory-inside-the-sickening-world-of-puppy-mills-w457673

azmom thanked jaschu77
  • Ellie RK
    7 years ago

There are breed specific rescues as well. I know I probably won't ever get a puppy again, but I also know that I'll always have bulldogs. Around me, there's two bulldog rescues.

azmom thanked Ellie RK
  • Suzieque
    7 years ago

Sylviatexas said "Rescues are different from shelters". I disagree 100%.

azmom thanked Suzieque
  • beegood_gw
    7 years ago

Well i see these sites haven't changed . Been on it for about 15 years but unless you post on everything and you are one of the elite they talk around you calling each other by name to make sure you know you are not included as if you don't exist. So its good bye once more.

azmom thanked beegood_gw
  • AnnKH
    7 years ago

My goodness, beegood!

I don't see anyone on this thread "talking around you", but I do see people addressing specific points made by other posters. Because of the format of Houzz, where all new replies appear at the end instead of nesting under each other, using names is the most efficient way to carry on a conversation - exactly like one would if we were all in a room together. Just because I respond to one person does not mean that my comment is not intended for anyone else to see - if that was the case, I would use private messaging.

azmom thanked AnnKH
  • eandhl2
    7 years ago

I can't help finding a breeder of lab/golden doodles but they were bred for a reason. I can help with recognizing a reputable breeder. Probably doesn't breed more that 1-2 litters in a year. They do testing, they interview you at length. They usually have a contract that states if for any reason you have to give up your dog they take it back. They offer a health guarantee for various issues for at least 2 years.

azmom thanked eandhl2
  • jilldag
    7 years ago

eandhl2

Yes, you are right, labradoodles were bred for a specific reason and they failed to perform in the capacity that they were created for. If you read the link that I posted above, you will see that the creator of the labradoodle did have a purpose in mind, but that he felt that he created a Frankenstein of a dog and regrets what he did. The creator of the labradoodle, not myself, considers them to be inconsistent in both physical qualities and temperament. He is very unhappy with the craze that he started with designer dogs.

azmom thanked jilldag
  • jilldag
    7 years ago

And, I do agree with the temperament of the Labradoodle being unpredictable. I have a neighbor who has one. The dog frequently tries to attack passing dogs through his own fence. He is also intent on getting out of his fenced yard, and has scared both kids and caused dog fights with his aggressive behavior. This dog was purchased from a "reputable" breeder.

azmom thanked jilldag
  • sylviatexas1
    7 years ago

Obviously puppy mills are bad. However the incident I referred to was a dog show, where the best examples of show quality dogs are paraded around. Registries such as AKC, as well as breeders of show dogs, have a vested interest in changing the standards to increasingly ridiculous levels. This protects the aristocratic status and snob appeal of their chosen breed. Betterment of the breed has nothing to do with it. It's all about change regardless of the consequences to the individual animals. I once knew a guy who bred "high quality" Collies. Some of his dogs had been at the Westminster show. I never went to visit his kennels, because I knew it would make me angry. He told me one spring that he had bred 4 litters, & 3 whole litters died. He sort of chuckled and said that it was so sad because his purebred puppiess died and the farm dog was absolutely robust. Well, there's a reason. Suzie, of course you're entitled to disagree or agree with anything, but just stating that you disagree is not informative.

• sylviatexas1
    7 years ago

Jilldag's recollections of the unpredictability of characteristics reminded me of an old story. Supposedly Marilyn Monroe told Albert Einstein that she would like to have children with him, because the children would be so wonderful, with her looks and his brains. Einstein replied, " but my dear, what if they had my looks and your brains?"

• jilldag
    7 years ago

sylviatexas1

Love it! That is great!!

azmom thanked jilldag
  • azmom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Again, thank you for the inputs.

I have been reading extensively about doodles, including the exact same article jilldag linked. I thought Wally Conron would be a happier person if he uses his experience and expertise in helping breeders to improve the breed, instead of being frustrated by the same pitfalls that also occur to pure breeds.

I fully understand the risk of getting unpredictable characteristics caused by cross breeding. From mathematics and statistics point of view, it is a default situation, it should not be a surprise. Identifying genetic issues is complex and is an on going challenge, just look at the researches done to us human being that have been reproduced since the first generation.

From all the discussions I had with dog owners, trainers, and from readings, I have learned the same concerns as stated in your inputs. In fact I have heard more horrible stories regarding damaged pure breed than mix breed dogs. The lesson I learned is to find good breeders. It is better through happy dog owners instead of breeders' advertisements. It is why I posted my question on this forum.

I heard the same "look and talent" story, instead, it was between Bernard Shaw and a socialite. I thought it is more believable given Bernard Shaw's witty reputation and the circles he was traveling in, and when Marilyn Monroe (1926 - 1955) was born, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955) was already 47.

From my son's friend who is also a happy doodle owner, I have found a breeder who studied animal science, provides 1-2 litters in a year, tests parent dogs, interviews buyers extensively and provides advices & guarantee. I will also search for more breeders from Facebook. I will not come back to this thread, as it has became an anti none pure breed, and anti-purchasing new puppy thread; I am not interested in either subject.

• Ninapearl
    7 years ago

tests parent dogs

please, please, please make sure the golden is tested for the DM gene.

azmom thanked Ninapearl
  • mamapinky0
    7 years ago

I'm confused...the common heinz 57 dog has been in many homes throughout the years as a beloved pet/family member...the shelters are over flowing with mixed breed dogs needing a loving home... than came along the designer dog, two different pure breed resulting in a doodlepoo or whatever name the breeds are....are you all saying the only pet people should bring into their home is a pure breed? What's to happen to all the mixed breeds? Are they not worthy of a loving home because they arnt pure?

I'm NOT saying its ok to run a puppy mill its Not ok..but its being done and these puppies need homes. Truely I'm just confused here as to what's to be done with all the so called *mutts* .

I also understand if people would stop buying the designer dogs people would stop producing them, but that's not going to happen at least not anytime soon. So in the meantime what's to happen to the poor mixed breeds?

azmom thanked mamapinky0
  • Ninapearl
    7 years ago

i am absolutely 100% in favor of shelter and rescue dogs! i've had pure bred dogs and i've had mutts. every single last one of them was loved and cherished.

i've just always loved giant dogs. when i got to a point in my life when it was feasible for me to have them, i went straight to rescue but chose a specific breed rescue. of my 8 danes over the past 9+ years, only one of them came from a breeder.

i have lost danes to old age/arthritis issues but i have also lost 3 danes to genetic issues (liver failure; bone cancer; dilated cardiomyopathy-heart disease). having lost these 3 danes all within 18 months, i was not ready nor was i looking for another dane when i got a call from a reputable breeder whose list i had been on for 4+ years for a retired show dog. it was a once in a lifetime opportunity for me to have a well-bred animal, free of any known genetic issues and coming from a long line of champions. i could not say no.

my future danes will be from rescue. i know the pitfalls, i know the heartache of trying everything possible to prolong the life of a dog with a genetic issue only to lose it. i know i will always be setting myself up for heartache but it's what i do. trust me, there will never, ever be a shortage of great danes coming into rescue. i've heard every excuse under the sun...new baby, moving and can't take the dog, knocks the kids down all the time, eats too much, and my all-time favorite, got too big. **shakes head**

azmom thanked Ninapearl
  • mamapinky0
    7 years ago

That's the reasons most dogs regardless of breed is in shelters ect...this often happens because people see a cute puppy and rush into it..they don't think past the moment and into the future. IMO a pet is a lifelong commitment. But too many people once they get past the *showing off my cute furball* stage and realize the time and money involved in caring for the pet call it quits and that poor pooch ends up in an over crowded shelter...where it may be adopted and again the cycle continues.

azmom thanked mamapinky0
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

I've been involved with the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club, USA (the original breed club for Cavaliers) for nearly 33 years, and have owned many, many Cavaliers over the years. I showed a few of my Cavaliers and I bred two litters. The first was fine; the second a genetic nightmare. I quickly realized that breeding was not for the faint of heart!

I've served on the National BOD of the Club for 4 years in the past, served as Chrm of the Ethics Committee (now a member again), the Registration committee, the Nominating Committee, Cavalier Rescue, and been very involved in education about the breed. During that time, I have learned a great deal about genetics - well beyond the "tall pea, short pea" taught in 8th grade science class! My genetics "guru" was the late Dr George Padgett from Michigan State University, a man who helped breed club and individual breeders recognize and work with genetic problems in their breeds.

I have no problem with people getting pet dogs from shelters. There is a risk, however. One never has any idea what breeds may be behind the cute puppy, and thus it's size, temperament, general personality will be a Pandora's Box. If there are young children in the house and the people adopting are inexperienced in pet ownership, this can be a problem. Breed-specific Rescue organizations are also great. CKCSC Rescue fosters every single Cavalier surrendered to them, has them checked by a vet, and often even surgery is performed if there are serious orthopedic problems etc. They are never put up for adoption until the foster family has learned the dogs issues, both behavior and medical. Adopting families are vetted thoroughly.

But not everyone wants a rescue dog as they often do come with issues and not every family is prepared for this. At age 73, I cannot take on a dog with issues - I have enough of my own. Finding the right breed for the right owner takes a lot of time and research. Size, temperament, general personality, health issues - all of these must be taken into consideration.

Then one must find a responsible breeder. That is more easily said than done! I will state emphatically - there is no such thing as a "responsible breeder" of mixed breed, designer dogs! Well meaning? Yes. Loving? Yes. But not "responsible".

The purebred dog fancy is hundreds of years old for some breeds. A breed has a Breed Standard set by the Breed Club. Yes, over the years, some breed clubs have changed the standard to cause such an extreme animal that its ability to breed or whelp naturally is impaired, and its structure may lead to serious health issues. Fortunately, the pendulum is swinging away from these extremes, and we are seeing improvement. NOT ALL breeds have gone in this direction!

A good breeder tries her best to breed to the Breed Standard. She shows her dogs so she can know if what she has is truly worthy of being breed. One NEVER breeds just to produce pet quality puppies; one gets plenty of those when breeding the "best to the best"! Any testing for conditions known in all breeds and that specific breed should be tested for in ALL breeding stock. Unfortunately, many "successful" show breeder breed only for looks and not for health or temperament. A winning dog at Westminster or Crufts in a puppy's pedigree does not insure that the puppy is going to be sound.

If a breeder tells you her breeding stock is "fully tested", ask just what tests were done and by whom. If she says her vet checks all her dogs and that's it, run, don't walk, away. OFA and CERF testing are the bare minimum. In my breed, the breeding stock should also be tested by a board certified veterinary cardiologist. The Breeding Protocol for MVD should also be followed. If the breeder doesn't even know what this is, beware. More and more Cavalier breeders are also doing MRI testing (at great cost!) for Syringomyelia and then following the breeding protocol for this disease. There is still a great deal of research needed on this disease so the protocol does change from time to time.

Back-yard breeders and breeders of "designer dogs" may be nice and love their dogs and take good care of them, but they truly have no knowledge of genetics and the problems in their breeds. I adore Golden Retrievers - have owned two over the years, but the cancer is rampant in this breed and their life expectancy is far shorter than in the past. Poodles can have sebaceous adenitis, a very difficult problem for a pet owner to live with. When combining these two breeds, one does not get to "check the boxes" of traits one wishes, and leave out the "bad genes" - they will all be in there in one form or another and no one has any idea what they will get.

I cannot imagine being without a dog or two in my life and Cavaliers are the breed I love most. But I've done my homework over the years, and learned which breeders I respect and can trust. They're out there - one may have to wait a LONG time for a puppy or older dog from them, but they're worth the work and wait.

azmom thanked Anglophilia
  • Ninapearl
    7 years ago

Then one must find a responsible breeder. That is more easily said than done! I will state emphatically - there is no such thing as a "responsible breeder" of mixed breed, designer dogs! Well meaning? Yes. Loving? Yes. But not "responsible".

well said!

i have had many people contact me to refer them to Dane breeders. i refer them to the 2 or 3 breeders who i know for certain do all of the necessary testing. unfortunately, those breeders have waiting lists as long as a gorilla's arm for pet quality puppies and the wait can be a couple of years, sometimes longer.

so, those people who get discouraged because they want a puppy NOW, invariably go to a byb and then tell me what wonderful people they were, their dogs were very nice and they have a beautiful home. the most recent example of this is a woman i have known online for many years. she has always wanted a Dane but doesn't want to wait. so what does she do? she picks out a breeder on puppyfind.com (of all places!!), sends a deposit, then sends me all of these pictures of this lovely 2 story brick house where these people live. i ask for pics of the puppy they chose. what i get back horrified me. a litter of puppies being kept on straw bedding OUTSIDE in a barn. their puppy is coming home next weekend at only 7 weeks old. i have spent hours on the phone with her explaining how to start a raw diet. sadly, i have a feeling that what this puppy eats will be the LEAST of her issues. *sigh*

azmom thanked Ninapearl
  • dbarron
    7 years ago

In truth, some people probably shouldn't be allowed to own anything more complex than a hamster or perhaps a goldfish.

azmom thanked dbarron
  • Dorothy Pohorelow
    7 years ago

IF you MUST get a doodle there are some facts to know. F1 doodles are the original cross of a poodle x what ever and 90% do shed and are not allergy friendly. They often will have a wiry coat much like a Terrier. So you want a breeder who has been working on their line for more then one generation. IF you want a nonshedding more allergy friendly coat look for one with a high percentage of poodle. Australian Labradoodle breeders are you best bet for the type of dog you probably want. Be aware that they need lots of coat care, as in daily grooming for many lower percentage dogs and any will need professional grooming every 6 to 8 weeks. Also MANY groomers will not accept Labradoodles or Goldendoodles as clients due to the HUGE number of bad experiences with them and their owners.

A good breeder AND YES THERE ARE GOOD DOODLE BREEDERS will have both parents health tested. You can use this information to find the tests recommended for poodles and any of the foundation breeds such as labs or goldens. You want to see the results of those tests for BOTH breeds behind your choice. http://www.offa.org/breedtests.html?btnSearch=Tests+by+Breed

I would highly recommend you take some time and actually check out poodles. They don't need to be in a fru fru cut and have a huge range of sizes and energy levels. Surprisingly a well bred poodle can be less expensive then any of the doodle crosses. . My four range in size from about 18 inches at the shoulder to 26 inches tall. Monster is a very laid back lazy dog (the biggest we have) Jazz is a nice middle of the road, while Twilight and Cole are both higher energy but still with the ability to laze in the house with you or run and hike all day.

Grin as you can see I have one fancy clip and 2 skinned down adult males. The puppy is also kept short. Jazz and I are in public a lot and her shorter version of the show clip is always a good talking point. Monster the big dog in the middle is about the size of a German Shepherd... All 4 are purebred registered poodles from a good breeder.

azmom thanked Dorothy Pohorelow
  • gardenerlorisc_ia
    7 years ago

Dorothy Pohorelow: Who is to know whether you will get the good attributes of the poodle half: non shedding and non allergenic. Or the lab/golden half: shedding and allergens. No way to predict which they will be; at least that I am aware of. I think it is wise to go with a pure poodle. AFAIK, the standard poodles are not so frou frou as the small ones. I have 2 "mutts" now; a Boxer/Berner cross and a border collie/ cocker spaniel. Love both; I'm older (68) but still not giving up on a standard being my next dog.

Love your dogs! Gorgeous. And they look very well trained.

• Dorothy Pohorelow
    7 years ago

The breeders I would call good breeders are working with multi gen lines. They have selected for the traits they want and can pretty well tell what their doodles will look like and act like. The coats are still up in the air but they are working on them. I think it will be interesting in 15 or 20 years to see where they are at. I know the little Cockapoo has been at the F1 stage since the 50s...

Actually I don't think ANY size poodle is fru fru. I have friends with toys that are convinced they are bird dogs and yes they do hunt if given the chance but they try to stick to smaller upland game and don't do water retrieves with them. Mini are often fantastic hunters and I have a photo on my system of one that has a Master Hunter title! All three sizes have dogs that think herding is fantastic and I know a lot of all three sizes that work as service dogs.

Grin in the photo the big dogs are helping me teach the puppy to wait its turn for treats. I do insist on manners for my kids it just makes life so much easier and in a multiple dog household having them sit and wait for their name makes life safer for everyone.

azmom thanked Dorothy Pohorelow
  • agmss15
    7 years ago

Hope you find just the right dog for you. Doodle or no.

FWIW I had a marathon runner for a neighbor who had three small white fluffy foo foo rescued dogs who regularly went on many mile runs with him. So don't be afraid to consider smaller dogs too.

I took my seriously ball obsessed little dog to the dog park in the summer. A variety of dogs and their humans came in to the park after us. The dogs all flopped over and watched as mine proceeded to exercise their men. He loves ball chasing and I am a wimpy thrower of balls. He was tired afterwards. Lol.

azmom thanked agmss15
  • goliaph
    3 years ago

Thank you for this information. This is really a very useful thing. I couldn't choose the breed I wanted more, and that was a real problem for me. I wanted the dog to be able to fish and hunt with it, so I chose goldendoodle and never regretted it. The choice was not easy, but after reading a lot of sites comparing these breeds, I made a decision.

• Ariana Secret
    3 years ago

Thanks a lot guys for the information, it's very nice!