SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gtrshop

Not 1... but 3 appliances randomly go dark.

gtrshop
7 years ago

In describing my situation and history, this became a small novel. Sorry.

Preface... I am the 2nd owner after renovations (in 2007) to a 40 year old home. The kitchen sold the place really. Updated, nice appliances, roomy. Lots of storage. For a single father of 2 it is ideal. Tiled backsplash and floor to match, decent counter space, and new counters. Really wows you when you walk in. Appealed to me right away. If there is such a thing, a manly kitchen. In short, nice, but I didn't do the work. Any of it. The most I have done is swap in a new dishwasher when the old one died (hole in the tub), and replace the halogen bulbs with LED bulbs.

Something has been going on in the cooking area though, and now that I'm sitting down and thinking about it...maybe for a bit longer than I realized. At first I noticed that the LED display on the stove was out. I flicked a burner on and it heated up... and the display was flashing 12:00. I reset the clock and thought nothing of it. Thinking a bit further back.. I had one of the two large burners crap out on me, and I have yet to replace it... I had thought that the burner died when my son hit the top of the stove too hard with a pot one day while that burner was cycling on. We saw a flash from the edge of the element.

Recently things have gotten a little bit more interesting.

I have an OTR microwave and just hadn't gotten around to installing it because I knew there were going to issues in mounting it, and I needed a 2nd pair of hands. One day prior to Christmas I noticed that the bulb in fan hood was burnt out. I replaced it. A couple hours later it was burnt out again. I replaced it again. The next day the bulb was burnt out again. I checked the breaker for the circuit..it was un tripped..and the fan worked fine. I checked the voltage at the connections under the hood, and they were normal for the house, and consistent with my power filter unit for the computer across the room. This odd behaviour gave me the incentive to get the OTR microwave installed.

While cooking dinner the other night, just this weekend, I needed to get a tray out of the storage compartment under the oven. The power to the oven and stove went off. After a few minutes... I pushed the power connector with my foot and the stove came back on. After supper my son closed the door to the dishwasher and the stove went off again. Stayed off even after cycling the breakers, which were not tripped. Pushing on the power plug behind the storage drawer and the stove came back on.

Just this morning I went to reheat my coffee in the OTR Microwave and the microwave went off just as a closed the door. I checked the dishwasher at the same time, and it too was without power. I went over to the breaker panel flipped the dishwasher breaker off and then on... and both appliances had power.

I think I can see where this is going, the 3 appliances are in the same area of the kitchen. What bothers me is that the stove.. which is a 220V appliance has issues, along with the 2 110V appliances. I should mention that while the microwave and dishwasher were dead, the oven and stove worked fine. I would expect that to be the case.

(I am aware that microwaves should be on their own circuit, so no need to mention that. I would prefer that, and come summer I may run a new line for that purpose.)

Any thoughts on this? Thanks

S~

Comments (4)