SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaxo_gw

Make patio more usable in hot and cold weather?

jaxo
7 years ago

I'm only using the patio located in an area with hot, dry summers and cool-cold wet winters less than half the year because it's either too hot in summer or too wet and cold in winter to sit outside comfortably.

I had a high-pressure misting system installed on the eaves about 4 or 5 years ago, but only used it one season and then drought water-use restrictions started preventing the use.

I got a propane Lavaheat Italia patio heater, but 90% of the heat it provides just goes up into the sky. I can't get any useful heating from it unless I'm sitting right next to it with my knees or elbows bumping against it. The flame looks nice for atmosphere though.

I don't need to heat and cool my entire patio. I just want to have an area where I can put a bistro table and 2 chairs and sit outside comfortably when the outside temperatures are between 45 and 100 degrees. That should cover about 10 months of the year.

I'm thinking of getting a small pergola or gazebo that I can put the bistro set in and get a more effective patio heater. The covered roof would keep the heat from all being lost into the sky, provide summer shade and let me sit outside even when there is light rain.

I may have the misting system removed from the eaves and put it on the pergola/gazebo so it only sprays water on the area where I would be sitting.

What other ideas do you have?

Comments (5)