SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizabetheva

Single door reach in closet

EvaElizabeth
7 years ago

My daughter's closet is horribly impractical, it's a reach in with only one door, which is standard size and leaves about a foot of "corner" closet space on either side of the door, which I absolutely detest. I hate closet corners in reach ins, but at least in my last house I had wider doors - right now it feels like she barely has 3 feet of closet. It is so frustrating to me, I just get annoyed every time I'm in there and I can't thInk rationally about how to use the space. I told my husband I wanted to cut the opening wider and he just laughed.

Part of my frustration is that it also isn't very deep, so drawers on any of the three walls are going to obstruct the other walls. I am a huge drawer person, I like a lot of drawers to sort laundry directly into vs. expecting my 10 year old to fold her underwear. I think I might be stuck doing shelves with bins.

i can't even find any pictures of a closet like hers with any kind of built in organizer, let alone something on a budget. All the pictures I have found of bedroom closets with one door are either deeper or wider than ours, so nothing I have seen so far will work very well. But I will admit, I get frustrated every time I look so I give up quickly. I thought I could wait until after the master closet to do my daughter's but I think if I walk by her room with freshly washed clothes strewn all over the floor many more times I may have a stroke.

It's possible the disorganization of our closets and laundry room is pushing my buttons in ways that make me overreact to the normal organizational dilemmas that come with moving into a new house. And it doesn't help that I did a ton of extra laundry today from unpacking boxes of extra clothes and blankets that were in storage and I don't know what I was thinking washing everything because I don't have anyplace to put it all - we don't have a linen closet or any laundry cabinets yet, either. I'm not feeling especially rational right now!

Any suggestions on how to utilize a small closet for a girl who needs more clothing storage than I do? I mean, there are so many beautiful historic homes out there without closets, or with small closets, so I know there must be lots of great ideas out there I'm not finding!

Comments (9)