SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimr1998

Open-concept bedroom area for kids/teens?

JimR
7 years ago

Can anyone link photos or floorplans of large spaces setup as bedrooms with 2 or 3 semi-private sleeping "nooks" for kids?

Bunk beds work great for younger ones but more privacy is nice for teenagers. We're doing an addition and have seen some standard 3bd/3ba plans but nothing "open concept" where two bedrooms are combined in one. I'm thinking the big bedroom if done right could be converted into a future master-suite.

I attached a sketch-up of my idea. Nothing is fixed in stone except the location of the stairs. We can bump out further to the left if need be, but trying to keep the sqft down.

At the top of the stairs there's a place to watch TV or play video games with friends. I have my office there as an excuse to go upstairs to keep an eye on things. There's also laundry at the top of the steps, deep enough to store a load of wash and still close the door.

Older boys get the big bedroom with the sleeping nooks. In the future those nooks could become a his/hers WIC. They won't have doors for now but can

have a dormer window in each. Enough for a single bed and some space to change. Desks and dressers would go in the main area. The bathroom would have a double sink with a full height wall behind it. Depending on what side you go to-- shower or toilet-- it could be used by two at the same time. Will they actually do that?? No idea.

We have an architect but would like to get some thoughts from this crowd first. Always tons of great insight here!

Happy Healthy 2017!

Comments (20)