SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xiangirl

FOTESS Jan 2017 12 Step Program for Gardeners (wink)

Hi Fotessers! As we stand on the brink of 2017 and look forward to our upcoming gardens, resolutions and goals, what do you see in the next year?

Instead of signing up, drawing names and sending mail...this swap will be shared on the thread. I'll be asking you questions and you'll get to answer about your gardening experience. It's a web therapy group where we can laugh, cry and say, "Oh yes, I've done that, too." Any FOTESS member can answer and if life gets complicated you can check back as your schedule allows. There's no deadlines. Just good, fun storytelling! Heidi

Comments (125)

• sjc48
    7 years ago

What a sweet pup, Pink!

• beth_b_kodiak
    7 years ago

beautiful

• Related Discussions

Q

Comments (41)
    I marked it down on my April calendar of things to do as our N.Mn. country is covered with 3' of snow and this morning's thermometer is ... -14 F. That doesn't factor in the windchill, perhaps -30. I'm sure many of you cannot perceive living in this climate. Somebody has to live here. Either our brains are frozen or we don't have the common sense given to a bird. I'm not goin' there.
    ...See More

Whatcha' doing?

Q

Comments (68)
    .... moved the rest of my Brugmansias out of the greenhouse, not out in the open yet but into my garden room, (fiberglas roof, latticed walls). I've had a sacrificial lamb out there for over a week, it's doing fine so the job of emptying the greenhouse and trucking the more tender things up to the garden room has begun. I need the space for seeding a few perennials and potting on the tomatoes until safe to plant outside (May) plus I'm experimenting with some Oca and Crosne tubers and hopefully a couple of Yacon tubers if I'm lucky. These will be growing in tubs so if needed they can go back in the greenhouse in the fall to finish off. Tomorrow even if it's still raining it's time to get all my water barrels cleaned up and filled it looks like we might be heading for a very dry summer and very strict watering restrictions, hardly any snow pack in the mountains this year. On one hand mild winters are a treat but then the consequences :(. Annette
    ...See More

Are we working out and do we have goals?

Q

Comments (71)
    I've inherited blood pressure and cholesterol problems and also had a severe reaction to Crestor, so I'm strictly on my own when it comes to managing the cholestrol. I've learned, through trial and error, that avoidance of empty, starchy carbs and sugar makes a huge difference in all of my numbers. I typically start my day with a "sludgie" made in a NutriBullet with lots of leafy greens, some fruit, yogurt, nuts, seeds, and a liquid of my choice. I do not avoid fatty foods at all; no fat-free or low-fat anything. Bacon is my friend. But there's no processed food in my pantry, no hidden sugars, no breads, or cereals. I guess I follow a modified Atkins program, with lots of vegetables added to the meat, eggs, and dairy foods. I don't count calories; I'd probably be horrified. Carbs are what I keep track of. I have to watch my weight.....in order to not lose any more. I'm never hungry, that's partly due to the fat in what I eat but also to the absence of sugars and any breads, pasta, cereal. Those foods always made me hungry for more, more, more. Once I more or less recovered from the Crestor issues, I was left with what has been diagnised as fibromyalgia. My body failed me rapidly. Fortunately, I am able to take advantage of nearby fitness center where I participate in water aerobic classes, yoga, pilates, muscle machines and training, and just plain swimming for fun. I initially used a trainer (PT) to work with me on my strength and muscles, and she was a huge help. The difference between how I felt and looked before I started going to the center and now is incredible. I was feeling weak, frail, unsteady on my feet, all of which made me feel helpless and very, very old. I'm just old....not very, very! ;-) Oh, my blood work is stellar....no more meds of any kind.
    ...See More

Can we talk about real estate property taxes?

Q

Comments (46)
    Timely subject. Our neighborhood just received our property tax assessments for 2016, payable in 2017. Our property taxes have gone up 45%. Our home values have not. We had a refi appraisal within the last year & our home value was less than the current property taxes, prior to this increase. A 45% increase & our taxes are already high. Illinois is number 50, of 50 states, in public pension debt. In the recent past, the federal government has given Illinois stimulus money for education. The majority of that money has NOT gone to schools & students - it has paid for pension debt. We're going to need another bailout from the states that have been fiscally responsible. Edit: We will be appealing - we do every year. The first time we used an attorney, whose fee was 50% of of the tax savings. Then we started doing it ourselves. We have the choice to appeal based on "uniformity" or "overvaluation." "Uniformity" involves collecting & submitting comps of other comparable homes. "Overvaluation" is submitting a home appraisal with a date of Jan 1, 2016 so we get tax credit for the entire year. We've had better results with the home appraisal, overvaluation method. Everyone in our neighborhood's home value has jumped up by between $200,000 - $400,000, according to the taxing authority. I'd have no problem with it if our home value had truly increased, but it hasn't.
    ...See More
  • amybabyboy3
    7 years ago

cute, cute,cute!

• smitties
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hello all. Shirley, our Saturday was indeed happy. It was sunny and warm. Hubby and I even went to a metro park in Toledo and had a picnic.

I did notice my crocus is starting to show it's little green tops. We have a few more warm days then winter is back.

pink, congrats on the new grand doggy. She's a cutie.

Ive been thinking a lot today about the people who have been effected by the bad weather down south. I hope any fellow gardeners down in those parts are safe. Margo

• EricaBraun
    7 years ago

Awww, Pink. So, cute! Congrats on the new baby girl. :)

• pinkiris
    7 years ago

Thanks so much ladies =) Im not sure who is loving her more right now... my son... or me ... LOL She loves to be held and sure sleeps a lot ...

• canyonwind
    7 years ago

Jayeanne, a pink collar for Ali...if you had gotten a purple collar for Ali, I would have thought you had lost your marbles!!! LOL!

I am so happy that you have a new family member...welcome Ali!! Your son did GOOD with the name.......love it!!

Happy weekend!

Annie

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Annie--love your story! Did you tell the officer to take his time writing the ticket? I'm laughing my head off.

Jayeanne--of course pink! A friend adopted a St. Bernard baby so when she showed up at Sunday School we were having a puppy baby shower for her! You have to celebrate the fun stuff in life! Too bad puppy fertilizer isn't very potent.

Testing · More Info

• canyonwind
    7 years ago

Heidi, no I did not give the officer any instructions!!!! After my husband gave him his drivers license, I started hitting the officer with questions/comments about roadside plants and cuttings ect BEFORE he left to go to his police vehicle to run our car plates, dr. lic info....... The officer was such a nice guy...would have loved to go have a beer with him. My husband says I charmed him but if truth be told (in my opinion), I think he loved my German Shepherd Dog that was traveling with us. This officer was crazy in love with German Shepherds. He wanted to go on and on about how intelligent German Shepherd dogs were....and I let him!! After all, I am crazy in love with German Shepherd dogs too........but I had to get my roadside plant questions in, as I did not want to end up in the slammer for stealing/poaching......

And the assignment.....I go wherever I find the answers I need, as long as they know what they are talking about....and sometimes that an be iffy. Also talking to other experienced gardeners, with a similar climate ect helps too. Love Daves!!

Hoping any of you in areas with Tornado action are safe....so destructive!! Please be safe...

We are having so much rain out here...love it but we really are not prepared for lots of rain. And I hate to waste water....I have had to dump water out of our pool several times today.....lots of it. Each time I dump about six inches of water out...ouch! When it starts over flowing I push the buttons on the pool equipment to dump...kills me! Must get my rain gear on to go out and check again on the pool level. I must say, I love the sound of the rain...a glass of wine or two and some PRO football...Tom Brady and the Patriots are ahead of the Pittsburg Steelers. Looking like it will be the New England Patriots and Atlanta Falcons in the Super Bowl.

Happy Evening!

Annie

• sjc48
    7 years ago

Well, yeah, Annie, it's the Pats and the Falcons. Boy, how long has it been since the Falcons went this far? And just for the record, the Pistons are on a winning streak, sure hope it lasts! DETROIT BASKETBALL!!

The Assignment: I do a lot of research online, call our Extension when I need to, and read gardening magazines, but my "real" help has evolved to the people I've met here on Garden Web - Katie and Alana, for instance. I love the way everyone here helps you out. Great backup!

Shirley!

• amybabyboy3
    7 years ago

The assignment: I read a lot of gardening books. Right now I am reading "Grow great grub" I love all the information about herbs from seed and I am going to have fun with that this year. I have winter sowed all the herb seed that I have, so we will see. I also love "Dave's garden", google and garden pals on Houzz. Even with all that help I still make so many mistakes but I am learning more each year! :)

• amybabyboy3
    7 years ago

Annie, Your story cracks me up! You always give me a laugh for the day:)

Have a wonderful Monday everyone!

• beth_b_kodiak
    7 years ago

My favorite resource is Books Books and more books. Preferably ones that I own so I can mark them up and go back to re-read. I buy lots of used books from ABE. Library books are fine too but some libraries have only old stuff. ( and I can't mark them)Guess if the librarian is not a gardener....she figures nothing changes so NO new books. Catalogs are great too and some like Baker Creek I save for years. Lots 0f help here at garden web and ,yes, over at Daves too.

Annie I love German Shepherds too. We had two when I was growing up. GREAT dogs! I was saving up my allowance for one when I was gifted with a "retired service dog" She is the best, smartest, greatest dog I ever lived with. Love your story too.

• sjc48
    7 years ago

Morning, Ladies, hope everyone has a great day!

• faerygardener z7 CA
    7 years ago

Favorite Book - This one ALWAYS makes me want to start some plants. It was also recommended reading for my Master Gardener class although - thanks to GW friends - I already owned it. Love, Love, Love The American Horticultural Society Plant Propagation every page has pictures and inspiration Amazon American Horticultural Society Plant Propagation Book

Favorite Websites - Pinterest! What inspires more than PICTURES :-) Me (my board Crafts Outdoor is all garden related crafts and there’s Garden Inspiration and Growing Veggies) Maggie's Pinterest Love that you can search anything - it’s pretty useful.

I also keep the Pinterest board for my Master Gardener’s group (not all states have university extension trained Master Gardeners - I know Massachusetts doesn’t as that’s where my sis lives). There’s some different items than on my own boards. UCCE Calaveras Master Gardeners Pinterest (check out kids and whimsy)

Favorite Extension Agency - California! As the USDA says we grow around 70 percent of total U.S. fruit and tree nut farm value and 55 percent of vegetable farm value -and MotherJones reports our ag research is top notch. If you know your pest - search on any pest name for a handy one pager of available management UC Extension - Gardening.

Friends - me, ok? My blog, gardening category My Blog ceodraiocht = Mists and Enchantments in gaelic

Happy browsing, let's hear form others!

Maggie

Original Author
    7 years ago

I am wintersowing and to celebrate Mother Nature is snowing! It's a beautiful White Christmas kind of snow--straight down, fancy flakes that stick together. We had rain first, but it was warmer yesterday so it didn't hit the ground and become ice. I'm up to 30 bottles and I'm about done. I've seen nearly all your names this morning on seeds I had set aside to winter sow. Also--someone on Fotess gave me a ceramic knife. Wow! I'm having more fun with that. It's making slick work of my plastic bottles. I used to have a regular electric stove and I'd heat up the end of something metal and make drain holes. I also had trouble getting the cut started around the circumference, but not now! My husband almost didn't go to work today and I thought, "Oh no!" He doesn't like dirt in the kitchen or the sink. I'm watching Law and Order reruns (okay, listening), wintersowing and nursing my Diet Coke. Have a big pot roast in the oven for tonight and then what's left I divide into baggies which makes meal preparation quick and easy later when I fix a one skillet meal.

Maggie--love your information. It made me want to go research more of what my state had to offer. I also heard a story about California nut farms. Fascinating. The ones doing the story weren't happy, though. With the water shortage they were upset farmers were planting nut trees which would demand eeven more water...but also make more profit. I think as we eat healthier there's more and more demand for nuts.

Racks of seeds are going up all over! I bought my 'dirt' today to wintersow. I don't need any more seeds, but I bought 2 packages anyway. I could hear them calling me, "Buy me! Save me! Plant me! Help!" LOL

I was researching sunflower seeds and I liked Sunflower Forest and a few others. Anybody order sunflower seeds and were happy with the results from a particular vendor? I'm now telling myself, "No, don't buy those seeds in the store. Be strong. You are going to order a FEW special seeds." We'll see if that self-talk helps!

Heidi

• beth_b_kodiak
    7 years ago

Maggie and heidi, I enjoyed reading both of your posts. We have sunshine for the first time in a week here in Sunny Arizona. Weather was alternating rain and snow since last Monday.

I too am winter sowing and running out of room. Need to keep things where the Javelinas can't get at them.

Heidi DON"T lead me into temptation with the sunflower stories. Several years ago (5 I think) we did a swap of just sunflowers I was going berserk. 10 seeds of each of 10 different varities for each of us. I lined them up along the west side of the barn for viewing from the kitchen window. I've been thinking about that and sorta wishing someone would start that again. Oh Mercy!!!!! I feel my resolve wavering. Where is my 12 step sponsor?

• faerygardener z7 CA
    7 years ago

Heidi - I like Pinetree and order from them every year - they have great pricing. My most recent sunflowers from them were the dwarf ones in pots (pictured in my ideabook). Gosh darn - went to get you a link and now I'm looking at their sunflowers Pinetree's sunflowers - take a look at that Apricot Twist - wow. I've grown and love Italian White and a few of the burgundy ones, had planned to cut them out so I don't attract all the rodents (squirrels, chipmunks that dig everything out of pots, mice, voles ... hmn, could I grow them and not let the seed ripen? I might try ...

Beth - Same here weather wise, a few sunny days are up - still have bits of snow on porch and yard but not much, very icy mornings. Storms knocked out a lot - no internet or mobile most of yesterday

Started my winter sowing about Jan 1st - trying to hold my last available set of jugs until I see what shows up in the round robin swap. I may not be able to wait until we get them though. Last year we warmed up in February and didn't have a good cold chill - I prefer to finish the winter sowing by beginning January but this year just keep going. :-)

• amybabyboy3
    7 years ago

Maggie, Love your blog! Lots of great info. I am going to try and grow those long italian squash this year. The borer vine bugs got my patty pans the year before last so I am hoping for some success this year with squash.

• faerygardener z7 CA
    7 years ago

Amy - Thanks! I think you'll like that Tromboncino. It starts producing later than the typical summer squash, but once it does - there's no stopping it. I especially like to let it get larger and use it for spiralized noodles. If picked very young - it goes limp. I really prefer the taste and texture letting it get bigger - it's not a typical summer squash (Territorial is one of the seed companies that promotes letting it get big for harvest). It's in the same family as winter squash which is why the borers don't go for it - there's been lots written here in gardenweb on it (it was here someone was buying a swing set as a squash trellis for it!).Gardenweb threads with Tromboncino and borer I really love this one.

• canyonwind
    7 years ago

Maggie, just checked out your Blog...so enjoyed reading!!! You are in Murphys....Love your neck of the woods. One of my very favorite places to camp is Calaveras Big Trees when no one is their....truly GODS country.

I forgot to post a few of my favorite online seed stores....Sample Seed Shop (love Remy), Baker Creek, Dianes Seeds, Swallowtail, Select Seeds...I don't think I have ordered seeds from Pinetree but always hear/read great things about them.

And nut trees do love and need water. They say it takes one gallon of water to get one almond...one little almond!!

Happy Wednesday!

Annie

Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm blissfully wintersowing yesterday. After how many years I finally figure out I should mix the dirt with the water BEFORE I put it in the container. I finish. I clean up the kitchen so there's no trace of dirt-my hubby the germophobe. The last of the dirt I wash down the sink. I peel some potatoes and pop them in with the roast and the carrots and onions. Then it happens...the sink won't drain.

Oh no! The HUSBAND is going to figure out I had dirt in the kitchen. The pipe will be full of dirt sludge. I'll never hear the end of this. I imagine the future story-telling, "Oh yeah, you saved a LOT of money wintersowing when you put dirt down the sink and we paid the plumber $600 to fix it." The garbage disposal still works. It drains slowly. Then it doesn't drain at all. I'm a goner.

Husband comes home, sees the roast and says, "I love you from the bottom of my stomach...I mean heart." Then the bad news. He does the "guy thing". He flips switches. He prods and pokes. I'm a good girl. I resist the urge to say, "I did that." "That's not where the problem is."

Out of his toolbox come his black plastic gloves--like a surgeon--but for projects like plumbing. He has to get the right glasses. He has 3 flashlights, 4 pliers and enough tools to fix Air Force One. He takes apart pipe #1. Then he unscrews pipe #2. He disconnects the garbage disposal, squirts it twice and puts all back together. An hour later he tries--of course it doesn't work! Still, I resist the urge to say anything. In the meantime he cracks a pipe and there's a plethora of bad words in several languages. Finally he finds the pipe jam packed with potato peelings. It wasn't the dirt! I had already confessed to the dirt, but I was so glad it wasn't the dirt.

It's 10 p.m., but he's in the mood to finish the job so he drives 15 miles away with his cracked pipe (not crack pipe, cracked pipe) in a baggie. Somewhere around 1 a.m. and 3 slams, a short speech on plumbers who cut corners who will spend eternity in hell, and he's done! Whew! Wintersowing can be so stressful! Heidi

Original Author
    7 years ago

Testing · More Info

• faerygardener z7 CA
    7 years ago

Annie - Thank you!!

You know Big Trees lost the famous Tunnel Tree (Pioneer Cabin tree) in the last storms on Jan 9th? NPR Article with photo. Big deal out this way - all over every Calaveras Facebook page and the photos jus keep coming.

I'm also a fan of Swallowtail and Select Seeds - although I had carts for them this year, I cut back those orders (really, I can't let myself spend $100 on seeds even though it would be so easy). I've had seed from both companies germinate well. I wish Select Seeds name wasn't so like Johnny's Selected Seed as I get them confused - but do copy orders to a spreadsheet as I'm finding it really useful.

Heidi - I put a piece of screen over the drain when working potting in my utility sink. But just started the seed starting mix for tomatoes/peppers/eggplants on heat and so much of that is fine dust that I'm thinking I'll put a coffee filter over the drain - it will drain slowly but I won't end up with dirt clogging my septic system (which would really be a disaster) - luckily I'm not as cold as you are and may be able to water everything outside and bring it in again. I have to boil the water first for my indoor starts as I'm on a well and not having chlorinated water appears to mean all those lovely lil buggers that cause damping off are plentiful. Boiling the water really helps.

Original Author
    7 years ago

I made a gardening connection yesterday! Only a few people in this world will understand and appreciate. A lady is going to bring me rabbit poop! Heidi

• faerygardener z7 CA
    7 years ago

Heidi - that's good stuff - congrats!!

• sjc48
    7 years ago

Way to go, Heidi, I remember how great I felt when I was able to get some horse manure - not as good as rabbit poop, but it was sufficient for my needs!

Strange, the things gardeners get excited about.

Our current assignment?

I take a lot of pleasure in sharing my gardening enthusiasm with my daughter. I think I've told you that her and her hubby have recently bought a home. Well, she is planning her gardens around the house, and of course, ask "MUM" for ideas and advice. She is TOTALLY brand new to this, so we've done lots of sharing in the past few months. She was unaware of how much work just one flower bed can be, and so, has downscaled her plans for the spring! To say nothing of the expense! I was able to share some "economy" ideas with her. It's just been so great to be able to talk with and share gardening with her!

Shirley!

• faerygardener z7 CA
    7 years ago

For the question, how do I share - already mentioned the blog, running my Master Gardener's Facebook and Pinterest accounts - so always sharing helpful seed starting and growing info/inspiration there, I start plants for our Master Gardeners' sales (we're rural , so we only charge $1 per veggie as we want anyone who wants to grow food to be able to, we charge a bit more for flowers), I usually give starts to certain friends and neighbors, periodically pop in to GW forums and just send seed off to folks, share with my MG group - there's more - I am kinda enthusiatic ;-)

• sjc48
    7 years ago

Maggie, Heidi, and Jeanne, just sent emails to you all, let me know if you get them!

Shirley!

• faerygardener z7 CA
    7 years ago

Hi Shirley - I have 4 messages from you - still replying to the 2nd when the recent 2 arrived :-) (should add, thanks for following up!)

• sjc48
    7 years ago

Maggie, you have just learned what all the other FOTESS members know: YAHOO hates me!

• sjc48
    7 years ago

Ladies, we have a new member! Would you all please welcome Maggie, she has been posting some really interesting stuff, glad she decided to join us!

Maggie, when you have time, please tell us a little about yourself!

Welcome to FOTESS!

Shirley!

• amybabyboy3
    7 years ago

Welcome Maggie!!

• pinkiris
    7 years ago

Welcome to FOTESS Maggie! I too am really enjoying your very interesting tips and posts =) ...I do lots of baking and cooking and loved your absolutely brilliant tip about 'spraying the pans' inside the dishwasher ... I also tried your tip about the 'screen' inside the sink the last few days while doing a little winter sowing ...Heidi the same issue happened with me and winter sowing last year with the dirt going down the drain, lol ... yep it was clogged... when the pipes were opened they said 'well it looks like someone dumped coffee grounds down your sink' DH stopped drinking coffee almost 2 years ago, LOL. (I highly doubt that it was coffee grounds ;)

• canyonwind
    7 years ago

Shirley, YAHOO has hated you for a while....LOL! You have had problems with Yahoo for a long time.

Maggie, I read a few weeks ago about the tunnel tree going down...that was really sad!!

And our assignment...............I share my victories, successes, enthusiasm and failures ect.. with those that have an appreciation and understanding of garden life. I must say at this time, husbands do not count. After all, they often think they know everything anyways. And they do not listen, so forget about talking to them and sharing the joys or not, of the garden happenings.

When talking about the good and bad things, the disappointments and happiness, that happen in your garden, often times garden subjects come up by accident. The other day, I was talking to a garden pal about everything garden. For some reason Impatients and Coleus came up. I have never had success in growing them from seeds. She told me how she did it with great success. I learned a few new things. I was and am so excited to grow Coleus and Impatients from seeds, thanks to some good old conversation. The lessons in life that we learn when we least expect it...love it!

Happy Evening and Happy Weekend!!

Annie

• EricaBraun
    7 years ago

Maggie, welcome!!

• faerygardener z7 CA
    7 years ago

Thanks everyone!!

Let’s see, about me – (other than once I start writing I don’t seem to stop …) I’ve told you I live rurally.. Crazy cat lady here, took on fostering a litter from bottle feeding on up, never adopted them out, already had two.... I have some relatives allergic to cats so if I trade with someone with allergies, just let me know. Most things are safely stored in plastic boxes away from them.

Although this year is looking up, drought is persistent in addition to fires - so, firescaping is even more important than a pretty garden (safety first!) and drought tolerant plants are the only ones I should grow (have a few that aren’t). I did evacuate for the 2015 Butte fire (yes, with 6 cats to a motel, I wanted my friends to continue to like me and they were a tad too rambunctious to move in with friends and relatives). The area here is still reeling – recovery is so slow - hard to imagine a 70,868 acres fire that tore across towns. The photos are from 2 weeks before it was finally out. Circles are the hotspots when it was headed towards Murphys (lower right), red line is the perimeter. Didn’t find a “final” pic. I’d contacted the local quilt shop and we teamed with me organizing and distributing and them donating space and even some fabric to make pillowcases, totes, some kitchen towels, quilts and more for those who lost their homes. It was well received (others provided toiletries, hot meals, clothes and shelter). 921 structures were lost. Think an area that usually supports about 4 well companies suddenly needing >550 wells – and they must become operational first so that hazardous cleaning with a water spray over the dust created at each and every home/building site can be done before anyone can move a trailer in or build on the site. The fire was officially out Oct 1st and the hazardous waste removal on people's properties finally finished May 30th – if you’ve never been near a large natural disaster it’s really a learning experience how long rebuilding can take. The Red Cross and government provide some, but not as much as you think (e.g. Red Cross trailers for temporary living take months to get and can only go on land that’s been cleaned (see May 30th date) and has hookups). We still have evacuations for the burn areas in storms for mud runoff/ flood and many people still in trailers. So, if I get particular about not growing large thirsty plants near the house – know I have VERY good reason.

oops, too wordy for post length ..

Maggie

• faerygardener z7 CA
    7 years ago

continued ...

Annie - so what are you’re hints for Impatiens
    and Coleus – please share J

Pink – I get a roll of screen from the
    hardware store and use it to cover holes in pots – the coffee filter thing
    sometimes drains too slow and I don’t want to drown plants and some pots holes
    are so big that you just have your dirt continually drain out (only have so
    many pieces of nice angled broken pottery to put over the hole). So, I always
    have squares of screen available. Love that dishwasher tip myself!

Let’s see, I sew, craft all different sorts
    of things (not so much paper crafting as focus on truly useful items – no space
    to just display things and paper items get chewed up by kitties anyway), juggle
    cats, bake, make jewelry, run a TruEmbroidery User Group (digitizing software
    for machine embroidery – can’t say I recommend it and still might switch myself
    someday), play a lot with the Scan n Cut (mostly HTV on clothes or for signs
    and labels). Oh, and I’m a computer nerd (bigtime) with some of those pesky repetitive
    stress injuries (I still work and try to just manage them) – so I can spell but
    often fingers often aren’t cooperating when I type. Are you bored yet? ;-)

Thanks again,

Maggie

• smitties
    7 years ago

Maggie, although I have been in contact about sending you seeds through messaging, this is my official welcome!!

I just spent a few minutes catching up. Haven't had much time of late to get on her and comment. I did enjoy catching up and Maggie, I will checking out some of your sites. You seem to have some great knowledge.

The dogs decided to meet a skunk Thursday night right at 11:00. Of course we were not prepared so hubby had to go to Kroger to get some hydrogen peroxide and baking soda for a mixture we read about that works to rid of the smell on the dogs. As he was standing in line, there was a policeman standing talking to a clerk. My hubby was concerned about having 5 quarts of peroxide and 4 boxes of baking soda so explained to them why he had it. The clerk said he smelled something but thought one of the ballasts were going out. LOL

We managed to get the dogs smelling pretty good but I spent all day yesterday cleaning the house and doing wash. I bought skunk spray for the carpet where the dog went before we realized he was hit. I just can't get the smell out and I am getting so frustrated. Any suggestions. I have used the skunk spray and febreeze. I have gone through a bottle of skunk stuff and almost a bottle of febreeze.

As for those of you who winter sow, I give you credit. I did it once and it is a lot of work. Mine was a total failure as the wind blew it all over and what didn't blow around, didn't grow well. I have never attempted it since.

Shirley, it is neat to see you can share your love of gardening with your daughter. My daughters don't have houses yet but don't feel they will have much interest when they do. My oldest son does vegetables and does ask me for advice on occasion. Doesn't do much with flowers. My middle son and his wife have a house but I tried to get her interested but everything I bought her died. They live in South Carolina and they do have a hot climate. I'm surprised she has no interest since her mom is a great gardener.

I have a great collection of gardening book. I do a lot of shopping at Abe books. Used books at great prices. All the books I have ordered have all been in good condition. I highly recommend the site.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend. Margo

Original Author
    7 years ago

Welcome Maggie! I know I can't imagine such a large disaster. My sister went through Hurricane Katrina. She could see rebuilding was going to take a L-O-N-G time so she relocated. She lost everything, but found her dog whom she still has, but the dog has PTSD when it rains.

Shirley--so sorry Yahoo gives you attitude. I've set up my mom 5 times on Facebook and she's given up. She did everything but stand on her head. Yes, I received your email Shirley and responded. Remember when email was so much faster than regular mail? Now we use a website to check if the email got there! LOL

My first castor bean came up in the window! I may regret this, but for now it's exciting! Also I've been thinking about this spring. My husband wants to make a vine arch so I asked him where I could put tomatoes if he put the arch in location A and he came up with an idea. As long as he'll till it up and help me bring in some dirt it will be great! (I need his muscle.)

I like to share and talk gardening. You're right--a simple conversation can bring so much good information. Last fall the bulbs were on sale and I asked my mom. Then I told her I already had a plan. I bought the bulbs and we went out and planted them all in about an hour. With a couple different kinds of bulbs they should bloom over a period of time and it's right in front of their dining room sliding glass door that looks out on her new flower bed. Heidi

• sjc48
    7 years ago

Heidi, sometimes I think that standing on my head might be the answer!

I'm already planning what I'm going to do this year, in my gardens. I'm looking forward to seeing what the plants I bought from Prairie Moon will do in their second year. They looked rather weevily this year, but that's to be expected. On the other hand, the Silene Regia sure attracted the hummers, they looked like they were fighting over the few blooms there were. I'm not buying any plants (oh sure), l want to work on my containers, hanging baskets and planters - seeds for the annuals. I need to do a heavy mulching again this year too. Can't wait to see the Iris!

Well, I am watching the second game of the night - the Dubs are winning - nothing unexpected about that. I am also composing a letter to the Pistons coach, which starts: "Dear Mr. VanGundy, why do you bring your team high scorer in off the bench? And in case you haven't noticed, KCP can't hit for S--t. Just saying"

I am too old for this.

Shirley!

• faerygardener z7 CA
    7 years ago

Heidi - so sorry for your sister but wonderful to hear she found her dog! A lot of folks moved rather than rebuild - it was deeply forested and they say could take decades or centuries before it looks the same - unfortunately, first thing in are invasive weeds. And, that created a cheap, fertile land opportunity (fire retardant is a fertilizer) and this Makeover by Fire - Marijuana article shows pics of the hillsides covered in marijuana farms and dead trees (we're a legal state). It became the new California gold rush.

Planning, planting, some on a heat mat, some WS - putting extra milk in my coffee to get more jugs sooner (really prefer milk jugs to all the other sorts of containers), packaging seeds. This is a partial for this year. Last two years were horrid with drought but this year - although still drought we're MUCH better off so have hopes for all those "need water to get established" drought tolerants.

Original Author
    7 years ago

I have one castor bean baby. Bad picture. Oonly 4" high. I'm like any other mother--so proud!! Maggie I tried a heating mat system a couple years. It went well. It's too soon to start my veggies yet--they get too leggy. I've got to have a bit of patience and I have to properly motivate the hubby to find where he stashed the lights in the garage Oh Shirley--it's hard to garden when you're being investigated, but I, too, have several wordy letters I'd like to send to some choice recipients. Maybe you should work on your prose later and think about your wonderful flowers! Heidi

• sandlapper_rose
    7 years ago

Welcome, Maggie. So happy to have you join us.

Heidi, I hope you won't mind but I am going to post the February Swap later today. I would like to get all the sign ups in by Feb. 7th so I can match people early on the 8th. That should give people time to get their packages mailed out for Valentine's Day - which will NOT be the required date for your package to be received. I just want to give some that opportunity in case you want to make the package Valentine's Day related.

I'm really enjoying all the discussion this month. Heidi, you were so creative with this one!

Jeanne

Original Author
    7 years ago

Jeanne--no problem. I knew January was coming to a close. We can all go to the February thread and see what excitement you've got planned! Heidi

• sandlapper_rose
    7 years ago

I posted the February Swap so check it out. Once Jan. ends we can continue any general discussion there and sign ups are open NOW.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/4421001/fotess-feb-the-mad-hatters-tea-party?n=1

• faerygardener z7 CA
    7 years ago

Heidi - Congrats on the castor bean. I have little tomato seedlings popping through the soil. Every year, those first ones are so exciting!

• beth_b_kodiak
    7 years ago

Heidi, how long can you keep them inside? They grow pretty fast and I'd be running out of space in no time.

• amybabyboy3
    7 years ago

Heidi, Thank you for the beautiful butterfly card and wonderful seeds! I am going to winter sow the seeds tomorrow! Have a great weekend! Amy

• faerygardener z7 CA
    7 years ago

Heidi - Thank you for the beautiful welcome card and seeds!!! So generous of you!!