SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vivianelaine

How can you tell if Knockout Roses are dead?

Busy Lizzie
7 years ago

Hello, my mother has some root-bound knockout roses still in their pot because of a change in her plans for her yard. She's had some freaky below freezing days (22 degrees one night). She covered them up but was not able to bring them inside. She thinks they are dying because everyday they lose more green color and she told me the main trunk is now losing color. Should she go ahead and plant them? She can't physically plant them herself and doesn't want to be out the expense if they're going to die anyway. So, what should I tell her to look for to see if they're alive and worth saving and should she do anything special to the roots? I've heard some people recommend cutting some of the roots away ... I understand there are many conflicting theories about this. I also didn't now if freshly cut roots would be more prone to freeze damage, once planted. Don't know if her bushes have gotten fungus since she's had a lot of rain. Does she need a fungicide? I told her to go ahead and risk it and plant them. Am I right?

Comments (2)