SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
d44f

Complex Topography + New Building Techniques to get the best bang for

d44f
7 years ago

Hi everyone!

I have plot of land in Canada that is on the hillside. It is a sub development so the topography is not extremely challenging but I would imagine fighting with the land (building it up to a level lot, putting retaining walls etc) could get very expensive.

I have a limited budget, but I would like to construct the best house I can within my budget by making smart choices.

I have read quite a few articles / posts on here on general tips to reduce costs of the build. However, most of these tips assume the lot is level.

I understand the geography of every plot is different but I am looking for suggestions on how to arrive at the best design for the house given the geography of the plot.

In addition, I've been looking at a lot of new techniques for building besides stick builds and want to compare them to see if they would work well for the design and if they could work out more economical.

Getting the right answer from professionals doesn't always seem to be easy. Builders seems to favor the kind of builds they have done and convince you that is the way to go. I would like some way to compare costs and figure out what the best method. (For example cost to build this design with wood is $X cost to build it with quad-lock is $y. This would be the difference in annual cost etc)

Any suggestion on where would be the best place to compare all the options and arrive at the best solution?

Thank you

Comments (13)