SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
unzumi

Mysterious Vine-like Succulent

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I've been scouring the web to try to ID this succulent. I got it at a local PlantNite (like PaintNite, but you build a terrarium).
It's a vine-like plant that when I originally got it was a bit limp. It's the winter now in the northeast US and it's been sitting in its original glass bowl planter, near a chilly window, in direct sun for a few afternoon hours, with infrequent watering and it is doing marvelously.

This is it here:

When I planted it originally, a small segment had broken off and grew some spindly roots while laying on the soil/rocks, so I planted that by itself in some cactus potting mix, watered infrequently, and it too is now doing amazing:

Can anyone tell me what it is? It's very vine-like and creeping, but I've not been able to find anything that resembles that leave shape that is also in a vine.
Thanks!

Comments (19)

• 7 years ago

I just Googled stonecrop sedum and found a few images that look similar, but you're right mine looks spread out. I'm located in Massachusetts and it is in a large office window, west facing, and gets full winter sunlight from about 1-4pm. Is there anything I can do to help it fill out?

• 7 years ago

Compare it to Sedum tetractinum. Flowers should help with ID - if and when it blooms. Growing conditions will also affect the look of the plant.

IMO, glass bowls without drainage (any type of terrarium) are not suitable for growing succulents for a long time. If you are looking just for a relatively short-lasting arrangement, it will work...

Jenna (Massachusetts 6a) thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • 7 years ago

Sedum tetractinum is much closer, yes! I haven't seen it get any color around the edges but the larger of the two plants does have a bit of a color shift (bright green new grow, emerald green old growth).

• 7 years ago

@rina- The first picture of the larger plant, the one in the glass bowl, has nearly double in size since ~October when I got it. The smaller of the two, the broken off shoot, is in a clay pot with drainage and specific cactus soil w/perlite mix.

• 7 years ago

You might be able to grow the sedum outside for the winter (planted in a pot/in ground), if you are in zone 5 or above. It might be too late in the season to move outside, but something to think about in the spring.

For now, try to move the plants to a better light source. As Rina mentioned, glass terrariums are really not a good environment for succulents due to poor drainage and high humidity = rot.

Jenna (Massachusetts 6a) thanked Krista Shaffer (Philly 7b)
  • 7 years ago

@Krista I don't have the ability to plant them outside (I live in an apartment complex) and I'm also on the line between zones 5a and 5b, or less. With the extreme cold shifts we get in the winter (and not to mention ridiculous snow) and the excessive humidity in the summer, they likely wouldn't do well.

They currently live in my work office, environmentally controlled, but currently are sitting near a cool window to give them a bit of winter-like temperatures without completely shocking or killing them. There really isn't an humidity to speak of in the office (it's actually quite dry year round).

The glass bowl belongs to a co-worker, the clay pot with drainage belongs to me. The glass bowl seems to be doing quite well and it would be up to him to repot it, or not. The smaller plant in the clay pot I can easily take home in the late spring/early summer to give it some outdoor time and more direct light, but unfortunately the building that they are in right now only has west-facing windows.

• 7 years ago

The humidity mentioned is not humidity in the room, but recurved bowls and closed or partially closed terrariums will create some. It may be very small amount, but it may be best to avoid creating/adding anything to 'worsen' growing conditions. It is difficult enough to give them enough light, anything added may/will decrease plants best growing potential. Plants will survive in glass containers - but likely not be as great looking and healthy as they could be. It is all up to what grower wants. Many are happy with a decor type arrangements, and will just get a new one if existing plant doesn't make it.

Terrarium and other glass containers are very much promoted on net, and many pictures are just beautiful. But succulents are not the best plants to grow in terrariums.

Living is same zone, I keep all succulents indoors during winter months. They are taken outdoors as soon as temps allow. If you have at least a balcony, they will benefit from being in fresh air and better sunlight in summer time (should be acclimatized to sunlight to prevent sunburn).

• 7 years ago

Just wanted to update on this plant! The main plant (in the glass bowl) is still going strong, but the little off-shoot is just taking off!

Here's an overhead view:

Here's a side on view:

Just this past week it sprouted the all the extra pieces down at the bottom and it's looking fantastic! The original branch is the one on the right (the tallest one) It is in the same window getting the most out of any afternoon sun that we get in the winter. It will slowly acclimatize to having some fuller, brighter son for the summer months.

I've read that Sedum tetractinum "Chinese seedum" is super easy to propagate and any little cutting will grow when placed in soil, so I'm very tempted when certain pieces get longer to prune it and plant those cuttings in the rest of this pot and fill out the pot a bit. Is this a good plan? The soil is my own mix of cactus soil, perlite, and rough sand.

• 7 years ago

I wanted to give another update to how well this plant is doing in my office window! Now that we are getting much more daylight, it is getting a lot of ambient light in the morning and some very strong sun in the afternoon hours.

I have propagated it three times already, cutting about a 2.5-3" segment and placing it in the soil around the edges. My goal is to fill the pot at the soil level and let it begin to spill around the sides. The two older cuttings have both quickly rooted and the cut area of the main plant has branched off with two new directional shoots. The third cutting (only a few days old) is right on the same track!

• 7 years ago

Ohmygoodness! Look at this guy now! I've even planted some single leaves from the various cuttings and even those have rooted and begun to throw off new growth! What a wonderful, successful little plant! I can't belief this came from a tiny 3 inch cutting over 4 months ago! :) Very happy plant mama!

• 7 years ago

Nice - great growth...looks like you did everything right :) Cuttings & leaves root easily, keeping them alive is what's important. You are going to need bigger planter soon - or plant outside for very nice groundcover - just remembered you live in apartment. Is there a balcony? - it may bloom for you too.

• 7 years ago

You're right, I think I will. I wish I could plant it outside but I live in an apartment and can't do that yet! I have just a bit more space under the long growth that I can put about 3 or 4 more cuttings, but that will max out the planter :)

• 7 years ago

You could get one of the more oblong containers, there are smaller ones available (maybe 12-18" long or so.) They should have drainage holes but if not, it is easy to poke or drill (into plastic ones). There are also terracotta planters available and also could be drilled if needed using proper drill bit. It will look very nice in there - plant seems to quite like where it is. Just a tiny bit of etiolation perhaps? - that could be helped with a light...

• 7 years ago

This guy is still in my office so a light isn't something I can give it. It's in a west-north-west facing window and when it is not gloomy and rainy (as it has been the past two weeks and will be for the next week or so), the afternoon light is very strong for about 5 hours. I think the reason it is stretching is because it has been a bit gray and dull and cold the last two weeks.

I'll keep an eye out at the local big box for a suitable container :)

• 7 years ago

I do have a balcony at my apartment and I did bring him home one weekend and left him on the porch for a bit of outdoor time, however, no sooner did I look away than I had a squirrel nibbling away at him. The squirrels here are rampant and not afraid of humans at all. I'd be concerned that if I turned my back for too long I won't have a plant any more :/

• 7 years ago

Oh, squirrels! They do like leaves that are more juicy. I tell you what I do with more 'attractive-to-squirrels-chipmunks' plants: I bought a bigger bird cage at garage sale and just put it over the plant...no shade and no squirrels. It looks quite good too :) ad can be moved very easily (bottom was missing anyways). Make sure you acclimatize plant to better light; direct, outdoors light is more potent even on overcast days than indirect. It could burn very easily otherwise.

• 7 years ago

That's a very good idea :) It's starting to approach yard sale season here so I'll keep my eyes peeled!

I did do one more round of cutting and repoting on this little guy. Just maxed out what I could put in this planter then put the remainder in a smaller 3" terracotta pot. Long term goal is to have a number of different rootballs that I can save and plant on that magical one day we buy a house! #longtermgoals :D

• 7 years ago

This looks like a "creeping Jenny"

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County