SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valhen

Limited vinyl options. What's my best option?

valhen
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I am in central FL. We've just closed on a 1960's ranch with original windows. Some of the windows are quite large (107" wide, 74" wide, etc). House faces almost due south and has a lakefront view on that side. So preserving views while minimizing heat transfer is my highest priority.

Based on my research on this forum, I've looked at Okna (doesn't sell in
FL), Sunrise (doesn't sell in FL), Soft-lite (nearest dealer is 45
miles away and I'd prefer to go with a more local dealer), and
Simonton. As you can see, I'm down to Simonton more or less.

I've gotten 3 quotes, 2 for Simonton and 1 for Slocomb. I think we're going to say no on Slocomb based on reviews and such, but I'll include the quote below for completeness. All installers are well rated for the area, we've asked for references, checked BBB/Angie's List etc. All fees include relevant permits and installation costs)

Slocomb: (16 dh, 2 2-lite sliders, 1 3-lite slider, 1 32x80 full lite door w/ blinds) $10,600 for the 4300 line and $12,600 for the 7700 line.

Simonton installer #1: (same windows and door as Slocomb dealer) $13,194 for 5050 line and $17,748 for "laminated glass" (I think this is the 9800 line? not sure).

Simonton installer #2:

• Option A: (20 dh, 1 picture, 1 Neuma door) $11,656 for the 5050 line (includes ¾” insulated glass with argon gas, lowE366 coating, and upgraded extruded screens)
  • Option B: (2 picture, 3 casement, 10 sliders, 1 Neuma door) $11,795 for the 9800 line (includes "supercept", 1" spacing, lowE366 coating, upgraded extruded screens and a few other things)

We went into the showroom today and looked at the double hungs vs. sliders. The on duty salesman (not our in-home salesman) told us that the max width they could do in a double hung was 52" and they could do much wider in the slider windows. After seeing how "bulky" the two double hungs looked when set 2-wide in a window, we decided we liked the sliders much better. So we're going to have the Simonton dealers requote using all sliders.

Given that several of the pro's choices aren't available in FL, are there any other brands I should be looking at or consider? Have I obviously missed anything in these quotes? Is it worth it to call the Soft-lite dealer even though they're an hour or so away? Thanks!

Comments (16)