SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cmlaracy

Help me design a conifer garden!

Chris (6b, Bergen NJ)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I am a "collector" who started out early this spring hence the quotes. Until very recently I had it all planned that 75% of the plants would go in cedar boxes I'd make. It just came to my attention that I have a patch of land I can now turn into a full fledged conifer garden where I can put my collection, a majority of which are being overwintered in a sheltered location, planted in the ground.

The collection being planted is as follows with already elsewhere planted trees omitted:

-Abies korean 'Silver Show'

-Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Goldilocks'

-Cedrus deodars 'Silver Mist'

-Picea abies 'Acrocona'

-Picea engelmannii 'Bush's Lace' (due to inevitable size, can be excluded)

-Picea omorika 'Bruns' (not 'pendula bruns' but almost as narrow)

-Picea orientalis 'Early Gold' (mine happens to have a very narrow habit luckily)

-Picea orientalis 'Firefly' (Position already chosen)

-Picea orientalis 'Silver Seedling'

-Picea orientalis 'Skylands' (Position already chosen)

-Picea orientalis 'Tomb Thumb'

-Pinus parviflora 'Kinpo'

Plants currently in the ground elsewhere include (can be moved into garden):

-Picea abies 'Summer Daze' (can be easily moved into garden, is vertically staked, habit like 'frohburg')

-Picea pungens 'The Blues' (can be easily moved to the garden, is staked 30° from vertical)

-Picea orientalis species (can be easily moved to garden, makes no sense to due to inevitable size)

Tsuga heterophylla 'Thorsen's Weeping' (can't be moved, not part of garden)

In spring of 2017 I will be able to use this patch of land which currently house my 'Skylands' and 'Firefly'. When I have time tomorrow or Friday I will take actual pictures of the land - these are left over photos from photographing the trees. I realize it most likely will not be feasible to place every tree within the patch of land, although it is larger than the photos make it seem. The trees I see causing trouble in terms of space are 'Skylands' , 'Acrocona' , 'Bush's Lace' and maybe 'Bruns' and 'Early Gold', the rest remain quite small for decades.

Help me design my garden! The spot gets 2 hours of morning sun and 3 hours of late afternoon sun but I'm going to be opening up the maple/oak canopy above to add another 2 hours of midday sun for 7 hours give or take a half an hour.

Open to any and all suggestions!

Open to any and all suggestions!

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022