Houzz Logo Print
publickman

December chilies - update on Chocolate Habaneros

Lars
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Here are photos I took today of my collection, starting with Tobago:

Plus my Chocolate Habanero:
Here's an old regular Habanero, I forget when I planted it, but it's more than a year old, and possibly two:

Some of my chocolate Habanero plants (which I think are in pots too small) are starting to put out new growth from the bottom.
I'm going to hold off on repotting this one because I ran out of pots and am running out of space. If do run out of space for pots, I might try planting some into the ground, even though I have very bad soil; i.e., no drainage.

The Tobago chilies are pretty but do not have much flavor and have no heat. The Chocolate Habaneros seem to be getting a bit hotter from when I first started picking them. I'll probably have to do a large harvest around Christmas and make a bit batch of hot sauce, to last me for next year, plus I will give some away. I am happy now that I planted the Chocolates, as they have an incredible aroma when I cut them open, and I do like the flavor better than the orange Habaneros.

When do you harvest your chilies? I think I planted these later than I should have, as they did not start sprouting until May. I think I planted the seeds in March, and so maybe I should try planting the next ones in January, or February at the latest.

Comments (4)

Sponsored