SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ongward524

Polite way to ask guests to leave coat, bag, etc near the entrance

ongward524
7 years ago
I live in a home with a very small coat closet and no mudroom. When guests arrive they immediately walk up a flight of stairs to my living room. Most activity and conversation happens in the kitchen, which is the last place they reach.

I've placed a long bench under a hook rack at the top of the stairs. However, in the midst of conversation, even though guests do hang their coats on the rack, they invariably end up putting their purses or briefcases on my sectional couch. And some have even thrown down wallet, keys, and sunglasses on the granite counter or even the delicate wooden table in the galley kitchen, which is a small space to begin with.

Without putting up a sign, or seeming too militaristic, how do I politely have guests leave all these things on the bench (perhaps the smaller items in a basket) under the hook rack when they hang their coats? I want to keep my wood tables and counters safe, and also not have bags everywhere, especially when we move to sitting in the living room?

Comments (160)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz