SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

Does a garage and entrance make sense here?

rockybird
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I have a midcentury home that I have just started building an addition onto. I live in a very hot state. People have always told me I need a garage. I have always thought I would convert the carport into a garage, and enclosed by glass to conserve the midcentury block exterior.

I am thinking it would be better to add a garage instead. So as not to darken the adjacent rooms on that side of the property, it needs to be detached. I suggested the garage and a midcentury walkway with poles, mimicking my home, to the architect and he loved it. I also wouldnt mind a garage should I ever get a nice car.

I am wondering how weird it would be to have attached two car carport, and detached two car garage. The garage would lead into bedroom 2 (below) which will become a laundry room/bike room. Would it be odd to enter into laundry room area? I was thinking of just using a glass sliding door. Similar to the house, the garage would have midcentury block work and there would be landscaping. Any thoughts on garage door materials? Would you air condition it?

thanks!

Covered walkway is in red below, into bedroom 2, which which will be lead to butlers pantry-like area/kitchen or den area. Addition is bottom red mark:

Walkway similar to what I am thinking:

Poles in my home:

Garage would go where the red bush is (sorry-not a great pic). Fence would be removed in region of walkway and garage (would work out well because they did a terrible job on the fence here).

Comments (11)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH