SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rkarthistory

Help: bad tile install going from bad to worse

rkarthistory
7 years ago

Hi:
Long story short--having numerous issues with a recent tile install and contractor response. looking for some advice as to what might be going on so I can see through the BS my contractor has been spewing at me since the project began. I am sure that the job was rushed, the tiler being pressured to finish the job to keep all margins on point etc. now I am close to firing the whole outfit but they are insisting that they will fix the issues to my satisfaction.

Issue #1: took 2nd shower in the new space, noticed some cracking tile to the right of the shower drain--edge of penny round exposed. Contacted contractor---asked me if something has dropped on the floor ( answer no), then suggests air bubble in grout.
Tells me shower is ok to use but will come look at it next week. Went to shower again tonight and now the area with the cracked grout is soft --as in you step on it and there is give, cracks have now spread to surrounding tiles.
My thought: improper grout mixing? Causing the contact with water to turn the grout and thin set soft again? Is this the right line of thinking.

Issue #2: bullnose around tub surround---contractor told me bullnose was available in our selected tile even included it on a line item in our work order...well bullnose apparently doesn't exist. Fast forward to install, apparently contractor had worked it out with tiler to hand forge bullnose, tiler decides he's not going to, I come home and find the tub surround installed with no bullnose. Conversation ensues--tiler decides to round the edges with the tiles self, results in uneven rounding, grinder marks etc. totally unacceptable, awaiting response for solution. Now with the rounded edges it's become obvious that the tub surround knee wall was out of square and bows inward now. Contractor claims not to see it in photos....

So what can I do-- company is claiming that they will do right by me (I am part of a chain of referrals they have received).
Is it reasonable to ask them to demo and redo the whole tub surround (inc correcting the out of square framing) when they rectify the bullnose situation? Is there a timeline for tiling I should make them adhere to: thin set 24 hours before grouting etc?
Thanks in advance

Comments (8)