SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okietexan

Top 5 (or more) Beneficial insects to attract and their Attractors?

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Gang,

Although I will continue to garden in OK, near Durant, I (somewhat unexpectedly) have gained gardening access to a .35 acre plot right near the town square in Denton, TX, only about 40 miles S of the Red River. I will plant a variety of things, but I would like for this plot to start becoming a source of beneficial insects for the growers around me. So this actually ends up being several questions:

1. How far do beneficials roam in a semi-urban area? (Does this even make sense?)
  2. Since I cannot attract every useful species of insect, which insects will be most helpful/useful to attract?
  3. What attractors to plant then to attract those beneficials?

I realize this is quite a wide-ranging question, and in fact much has been discussed already on this forum about attracting beneficials in the past. But I can only do such a project in spare time and so having targeted specifics will help a lot. Besides, y'all know you love talking about this stuff over and over again. :)

Even if all I can do is buy 5 large containers, or use these outrageously blue protein tubs (the city might tell me they're too ugly), and place 4 of them on the corners of the place and one in the middle, it will surely do some good for us and the neighbors. But something tells me I can do better, with y'all's help, than such a shotgun approach.

For example, I'm not sure which beneficials would be most important to attract early, in time for the kind of vegetables that are planted early and thus get attacked early. As I understand it, if you already have the good guys lurking around when the enemies start showing up, it is much more likely that populations of beneficials will multiply in time to do some good when the onslaught arrives. Frankly, I'm hoping for lower pest pressure in this location than I get out at the ranch. Gardening there is like placing a pile of ribeyes in a pen full of starving wolves.

Or, if y'all think this is not that great of an idea in this setting, feel free to let me know.

Charles

Comments (5)