SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19706586

Auto Lease Vs Purchase

User
7 years ago

Plenty of info out there re Leasing vs Purchasing a car.

Not looking for any general info on the subject, however I am looking for help in sorting out a specific "issue."

My wife and I are in our mid-seventies in good health. Our financial situation is "secure" - owe nobody.

Typically we have paid cash for new cars and kept them for ~15 years. Always low mileage when replaced. Never leased a car.

I have a 2015 vehicle, my wife has a 2005 Infiniti G-35 Coupe. She is having trouble with the 6 speed manual transmission and reduced driving skills. (Hey. it happens. lol)

Looking to get her a new mid-sized SUV -fully loaded. I can pay cash with no concerns.

My thought process is that at our ages, keeping a new car for 15 years puts us at age 90! Got to wonder if a) We'll be alive and b) If alive, would we still be driving?

If I pay, say, $45K for the car, that works out to about $3K per year over the car's 15 year life. If I lease for 3-4 years I'm guessing the average cost for that period would be something like $5K per year.

QUESTION: Given our ages, does it seem that Leasing might be a good option even though on a long term basis it is more expensive. The flexibility of being able to re-visit the issue in 3-4 years also seems appealing.

Comments (31)