SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tlbean2004

Stranger asked HVAC tech for "on the side" services for her rental?

tlbean2004
7 years ago

When the hvac tech was done fixing my heater yesterday something strange happened! lol

When he was leaving, there was a knock at my door. The man opened the door and a lady was there and asked him if he lived here. He said no. (im standing behind him the whole time) Then she said "Oh, cuz i saw the service van in the drive way". The tech said he was here to fix my heat. Anyways, the lady proceeded to ask him if he did jobs on the side because she had a rental property down the street.

The tech said he cant do it because they sign a contract forbidding him to do jobs on the side. He also said that his phone and work van had GPS and if he was caught doing anything he would be fired.

Then the lady said she just needed something quick done for cash. He proceeded to walk out the door way and closed the door. They stood there for a few seconds and then the lady walked off. He got in the the van sat in the driveway for a few minutes. He also left a drill on my dryer and i hurried outside to give it to him before he left.

Anyways, how common is it for these service men to get asked to do jobs for cash on the side?

Have you ever asked? I have to admit i though about doing it before...... lol

Comments (12)