SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nohrnberg

Marvin Ultimate vs Next Gen: to wood or not to wood

I'm adding a room with two dormers on the third floor of my 1875 Victorian in Cambridge, MA. Having looked at the available options for double hung windows, I've decided on Marvin -- since I'm only getting a total of five windows, I'm looking for top

quality. The windows on the house are all wood, except for some aluminum clad Pelas in the back kitchen. Anyway, my aesthetically minded architect wants me to go with the wood -- i.e. Marvin Ultimate. (She also keeps going on about "resale value," but I wonder if anyone would notice considering that they will be in the back and quite high up -- see dormer in pic, which is being expanded upon). Anyway, I fear the "Ultimate" windows are just not quite as well engineered,, or will last as long, as the Next Generation, especially in dormers on the third floor where painting is likely to happen only once every 6-7 years. I did get a quote for the Ultimate with cedar cladding, but of course more expensive than the straight up Next Gen, and perhaps not much less impervious to rot than the regular spec. pine. I could pay even more, of course, to have the Next Gen aluminum casing custom painted by Marvin to match existing trim, which seems like it might be the best of both worlds. Advice from those who know these windows and the issues involved would be much appreciated.

Comments (3)