SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_faircloth

How many colors is too many?

Sarah Faircloth
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We bought a 1900s Folk Victorian about a month ago.
Every room in the house is some sort of yellow. Im not a yellow person so its got to go.

I have a 7.5x12ft entryway Im planning on doing a 1920s inspired theme with a darker gray and metallic wall paper with a large crystal chandelier.
From the entryway you go through the right door into the living room.
I painted it Sherwin Williams Coastal Plain.

The living room leads into the dining room via glass french doors.
The dining room is 12ft tall, finished in THICK wood paneling, and has baseboards, chair rail, picture rail, and crown molding.
The wood paneling has to stay, for now.

From the dining room you are lead into the kitchen via a single doorway, no door.
Its a straight line from the living to the kitchen.

We are going to be doing the kitchen with white and gray shaker cabinets.

Off the kitchen is a (what we call) office. It can bee seen from the kitchen via a large cut out in the wall and another doorway.

I like gray. I like gray a lot.
The more dramatic gray the better.

I know Im going to keep the kitchen a lighter gray due to the lack of natural light, though I am trying to avoid a silver gray.

I want the dining room a dramatic gray and the office a dramatic gray.

My house is surrounded by 80+ year old oaks, 60ft tall Leland cypresses, pecan trees, and a patch of 50 acres of woods that backs almost up to the back of the house, so its not naturally bright in here, but its bright enough I dont need to turn lights on in the once the sun comes up.
My old house was full blast sun all day (a house in the middle of an old cow pasture bright). Im not used to being under trees so Im hesitant in getting too crazy.

Every room at this point is going to be a different color.
I dont know if that is too crazy.

Ive tried hiring sherwin williams to come out and help but the lady at the local store had a family tragedy and wont be coming back and the other store is back logged for months. HD or Lowes has no one to recommend and the local interior company charges $200 for an hour consultation.
So Im on my own

Id like to paint the dining room in Gray matters by Sherwin Williams and do a coordinating white above the picture rail or below the chair rail. I dont know which is best.

The sitting room Id like to do in a darker blue gray like Mission Control, Gibraltar, or Serious Gray.
Its 9ft tall with white beadboard ceiling.

If anyone has any comments, recommendations on any or all rooms Im all ears!

The pictures included are from the real estate listing, just to give a general idea of the layout. This is not my furnishings.

I will be furnishing these rooms from scratch, with the exception of one extra large picture in the dining room.

From the living room corner.
Door on the left is the entryway, door on the right is the dining room

Dining Room

Kitchen
The cut out to the left is the office room.

Office room

This is the dining room picture I will be hanging. Its about 4.5x3.5'
[IMG]http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk13/Faircloth9945/20160803_122834_zpsgzhcrzka.jpg[/IMG]

Comments (3)