SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pvecholane

Grasses as garden design organizers

echolane
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

My perennial bed had long been anchored by five Pennisetum Hameln. Three years ago, thinking I wanted a change, I dug them out rather than face the big chore to divide them. Bad mistake! During the next three years my perennial bed gradually descended into disorganized chaos as I filled the spaces where the grasses had been. It took me awhile but I finally realized how important the missing Grasses had been as a design element. Perhaps especially in fall and winter.

So this summer I acquired Pennisetum 'Ginger Love' from Santa Rosa Gardens and today, with nothing much left in bloom and cooperating weather, I managed to clear enough space to plant all five of them. I wound up moving about eight plants out of their way, mostly Penstemons, (which badly needed better organizing anyway). It'll take at least two growing seasons to get the full effect of the grasses, but improvement is already obvious. Much much better!!

In the back corner of the bed I also made space for a Panicum 'Heavy Metal'', the smaller Panicum 'Hot Rod' and the first of the five Pennisetums. With the addition of a couple of suitable perennials that trio of grasses will transform a boring corner into a garden focal point.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional
More Discussions