SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Need Advice About Rose Beds

I have grown roses for years, but I have several beds that are giving me problems. These are large open beds, not narrow that can be easily weeded from each side. Soil is good - I have topdressed it yearly with aged compost [I have horses]. I continue to have a weed problem. Right now, I have only a few roses in each of these 3 problem beds - have moved most of them into pots until I can get this figured out. The weeds take over and get away from me and it becomes impossible to keep up with it. Before I put any roses back in these beds, I want to try to get a plan formulated. I have seen photos of large free form beds, the roses are quite big and there are no weeds [that I can see]. I had thought of circling each rose I plant with fairly large landscaping rocks - mulching around it well, then really putting thick mulch in between these roses. Right now, I have weed eated the bare beds to the ground - plan to spray roundup on the unplanted areas - but not sure where to go from there. I want to do it right this time, and get a good plan before I start planting. Thought about taking a section of bed at a time, getting it perfectly in order before moving on. I have roses planted along a fence line - I have topdressed these individual roses with compost then topped with mulch - they are doing great - I weed eat in between the roses so no weed problem there. Its just the beds that are giving me fits. Any thoughts, advice or photos would be appreciated!

Judith

Comments (29)