SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
0252scholtm

Front yard - Natural Fencing Desired

0252scholtm
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hello,

I'm looking for some ideas for my front yard. I have an ugly chain link fence on one side. Two summers ago I planted a beautiful clematis that was slowly covering the entire fence, but my neighbor broke my heart on Sunday: while doing home improvements, she ripped the entire clematis off the fence and chopped it down to the root. I do not want to see the fence, and so now I am thinking about some kind of evergreens/natural fencing.

I hope the attached drawing helps. I am looking to plant in the areas highlighted in yellow.

I already have rosebushes and a pine tree lining the right side fence, and these are a beautiful natural fence. The left side (yellow highlight near fence) has an extremely narrow planting area (about 1 foot wide). Do you think something like a holly spire would work well there? I worry because the holly spires I've been looking at have about a 2' spread.

The first set of steps also have a hill to the right (as you go toward the house). Would trees or bushes work well if planted on an upward sloping hill?

For the area adjacent to the rosebushes ( yellow highlight above the grass), my husband would like to have some sort of evergreen bushes there. I was thinking boxwood....but do you think it would look weird to have a square area that has rosebushes lining one side and boxwood lining the other? Or am I just overthinking it?

Thanks!

(Note: the 3 lines indicate a set of steps.)

Comments (12)