SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

AU & NZ travelogue: conclusion

I'm splitting this because threads with too many images get annoying to use for people on portable devices. Please post any follow-ups here...I will post a note to that thread closing it and pointing replies here.

So, after leaving Canberra I drove up towards the renowned Illawarra Coast region. Here the escarpment creates a rainforest-like microclimate...but only along the coast. This was dramatically illustrated during my drive: I turned off the Hume Highway - AU's biggest highway but not very big by US standards at all - onto A48, and passed through the town of Moss Vale. This town, on a 2000' plateau and having a slightly cooler climate than, say, Sydney, had one of the biggest, healthier looking blue spruces I saw on the whole trip. In fact the entire drive had many northern hemisphere conifers and trees...but also I had to keep a schedule so couldn't stop to photograph any of them. (firs though...remained scarce if present at all...even heat tolerant ones...and were extremely rare to see anywhere on my entire journey)

However as I approached the escarpment, there was one of the most rapid shifts in observable microclimate I've ever seen...comparable to what you see in Italy taking the Centovalli train from Zone 9 Locarno into the Alps. Around Robertson, I saw the first wild tree ferns I'd seen since I was back on the lower reaches of the Snowy Mountains. Small and stunted at first...but getting bigger, quickly. Suddenly, you hit the escarpment itself...greeted by this scene.

Suddenly, in just a few miles of driving, the background pattern of plant growth changes from almost seeming interior European...like a drier part of France or England that is mostly plains and hedges...to seeming like a jungle. You start to descent and the road is lined with huge gums (Eucalyptus) and tree ferns. There are unrecognizable vines. Suddenly there are huge Livistona palms.

At the bottom...it's incredible how things have changed. There are huge Jacaranda blooming...almost every type of palm you can think of besides Coconuts...etc. etc. To my eyes...almost looking like Hawaii, though I've never been there. Again, only a short drive away from a place where, if you were careful about your camera angles to avoid Eucs and Callistemons, could almost shoot a film supposedly in Northern Europe. I checked into my AirBnb and got yet another taste of Aussie hospitality. The host offered to take me for a hike up the Escarpment. First, some Illawarra Flame trees in town:

The hike was grueling for out of shape old me. According to google maps, it's about 700 ft. up; but the final bits are so steep you need to use a series of ladders. I'm sure there's youtube video somewhere if you're curious. This is what the rainforest looks like: trees ferns, Eucs, Fig-looking things, Livistona australis, I saw a baby Bunya Bunya.

At the top is the reward:

Next, day...well the next day I did the Sydney Bridge Climb. Following day, went to the Blue Mountains where "Phil in Sydney" on Growingonthedge was kind enough to spend the day showing me around. He was extremely generous with his time...and was an expert guide to Aussie flora. He's the Mt. Tomah Botanic Garden. What a setting!

A Puya and Buddleia:

I think any strange Araucariaceae they can manage to grow here, they do. As before, the Wollemi looked better in this mountain climate than they did in the lowlands.

I worried Phil was slightly annoyed that I was so enamored with the non-Australian Proteas lol. But they were amazing. The best collection (well, only!) I know of besides the San Francisco Botanical Garden. I give this one a slight edge: they seemed healthier. But they didn't have a few strange ones I remember seeing there, like the black and white one. But maybe it blooms at another time of year.

They had a fantastic Taiwania. Interesting the only even slightly sickly looking conifer here was a Lawson Cypress. Maybe it doesn't like the wet summers, even if they are mild.

Also a fine spruce; which I regret not checking for a label.

Continuing...

Comments (17)