SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdpyn2

Citrus Hard Candy

John 9a
7 years ago

I want to try making hard candy from citrus and would appreciate input before I dive in.

Here is the easiest recipe I have seen that uses lemon juice instead of lemon extract.

1 cup sugar

Lemon juice, just enough to dissolve the cup of sugar, freshly squeezed

Pour the lemon juice into the sugar in a mixing bowl.

Mix until the sugar is dissolved in the lemon juice.

Pour the mixture into a heavy-based saucepan. Bring to the boil.

Boil until the mixture reaches the consistency of a thick syrup. It should appear brittle when dropped in cold water. (I think this should be around 300-310F)

Remove from the heat.

Create the drops. Dollop small drops on a buttered or non-stick prepared cookie sheet or plate.

Allow to cool and harden. Once hardened, the lemon drop candies are ready for consumption.

Many recipes indicate cream of tartar must be used to prevent the sugar from crystallizing...interesting it isn't used in this recipe. Other recipes also use citric acid. Possibly not in this one since it would naturally contain citric acid.

Along with this discussion I would like to examine ways to concentrate lemon juice gently, that is without heating it more than necessary. I have noticed if I freeze fresh lemon juice in cubes or 1-cup containers, it seems to push the sugars out of the cube. The outside of the cube and the tray will be really sticky and have an intense lemon flavor. I think I could freeze lemon juice in a very shallow pan and the water would sublime off....fancy word but it goes straight from a solid to a vapor...in the deep freeze. One could also reduce pressure and boil at a lower temperature but I don't know of a kitchen-ready way to do that.

Any other thoughts on concentrating lemon juice or favorite hard candy recipes that use the juice, not extractives?

Comments (9)