SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Pantry with Pocket Doors- Color Advice, Wallpaper?

oldbat2be
7 years ago

Progress and more questions! I placed the orders last week for the walk-in pantry components and am now wondering whether I can improve upon the solution with colors and/or a fun wallpaper on the interior or whether it would be better to use again the same cabinet color which is in the rest of the pantry and kitchen.

This is a 60x45" space, in which we'll store our dry goods.

There will be custom pocket doors (painted by us-so no hurry on that paint choice) on the front. (~29.5" wide combined width). (Something is wrong with my picture below, exterior rails are actually 1/2" wider than interior).

Due to location, this is not particularly visible from within the kitchen.

Here are adjacent spaces:

I still need to specify a color for the shelves and interior woodwork.

Following are some of the color options I've thought of. Your thoughts are very much appreciated!

Option A) Pocket doors, trimwork and interior woodwork in same color as existing cabinetry.

Option B) Pocket doors, trimwork in one color; interior woodwork in another. (Linking to earlier thread and suggested color for interior here ). Please note that I like contrast.

Option C) Incorporate fun wall paper? Please suggest any favorites.

Option A's the easy, safe one. I spent some time looking at wallpaper but am concerned about what happens to the pattern when little is visible.

Comments (68)

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Between the three above, I think this one looks the best:

• eam44
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Well why not? You can go for the mini Star and Cross if you want to delineate the area a bit, and you can go for a mix of glazes as well. They won't necessarily have the punch of orange (unless you want orange) but they would certainly tie in, and still be their own little thing. What glaze did you use for the existing tile?

Keeping Barley in mind, I wonder whether you might consider including a little pale yellow among your tiles. I think Shell a nice neutral, with Chardonnay might be lovely, perhaps with a few tiles in Olivine.

Here's the thing.... I can't tell the color of the glaze you already have, and I'm not sure I can see the cabinet color all that well. If they have cool undertones, yellow is probably a no go. Whatever color scheme you go with, it has to blend well with the existing tile. You know my heart sees blues with browns and creams... even if there's barley inside. Let me know what you think.

oldbat2be thanked eam44
  • Related Discussions

Grasscloth Wallpaper Advice Needed

Q

Comments (12)
    I completely forgot that we are covering the utility door so that it somewhat disappears. We've lived in this house for 28 years and that door has never stopped being an eyesore to me. The door allows front access to our furnace and air conditioner so the opening needs to be as large as it is. Access from the pantry is not possible because it has built-in shelving and isn't terribly deep. It was originally designed to be a guest coat closet (it faces our front door). FYI: the new 15 light pantry door will have the handle on the kitchen side instead of the living room side for easier access. We are toying with the idea of putting piano hinges on the utility door for a lower profile look. What I'd really wanted to use there was a stereo cabinet type door that swings open and then can be pushed back into the closet but there isn't enough clearance on the side of the furnace to accommodate the thickness of the door. The grasscloth itself is pretty simple (i.e., not a lot of woods or thick fibers) but the paper it's on is fairly thick. Fraying and bending was certainly a consideration so I decided not to bend it around any corners. Even still, there is the problem of fraying, and to be honest, I'm not sure I really know what to do there. They do sell clear strips that protect corners and keep wallpaper from lifting due to people brushing up against it but I never liked the looks of that. I like nice clean lines and don't really want to put anything on the corners if I can help it. Any idea what someone might charge to hang this little bit of wallpaper? Keep in mind, I live in (everything is greatly overpriced) Southern California. :-) Jodi-
    ...See More

Paint color to go with wallpaper in kid's room

Q

Comments (19)
    Thanks everyone, I like the lilac color suggested above but it may be too much with the purple rug. I'll need to get a sample to see. My daughter DEFINITELY prefers pink of all the colors in the wallpaper.... although because she is 4, I do wonder if she will outgrow that preference soon. I chose a wallpaper that I thought would work for her for a number of years, but I'm not sure about the pink wall color. I guess I can just repaint at some point! :) I don't want the colors to be too saturated because it's a Tudor home so the windows are smaller and it's overall a bit dark. I don't want to contribute to the darkness with walls that are also very dark. The colors I did try were shades of pink/rose that came from the wallpaper, so thanks for validating that was a good strategy. The trim will be Simply White by Benjamin Moore. The furniture is a chocolate color - we've had it for a while, but I think I may replace it with a white set soon to brighten up the room. Question based on a couple of comments above: I thought we would select the bedding last since it's easier to change out and adapt to paint colors etc. But it sounds like I should pick that earlier and then find a wall color that works? I didn't realize this was the best order of operations for this process. Thanks!
    ...See More

One big pantry vs. pantry+pocket office

Q

Comments (18)
    I would never use a micro-office, so I'd vote for a larger pantry. and no desk at all, Your mileage may vary -- would you really use that small desk in the kitchen, or are you more likely to use the table or the kitchen island (which you may or may not have)? Personally, I'd use the bigger, airier space, and I've never understood who uses the little desks I've seen in kitchen photos. With a laptop and wireless printers, you could set up to pay your bills, look up recipes, or send correspondence from anywhere, so why limit yourself to a small desk tucked in the kitchen? And if you want a desk with all your filing and peripherals around you, set up a proper office space and don't try to minimize it, IMO.
    ...See More

wallpaper advice for powder room

Q

Comments (19)
    A black toilet is out. That was a design decision earlier on. My style for this room is contemporary/modern in sync with modern Italian vanity. I do like large florals but thought it might overpower the room. I love colour but hesitate to introduce more then already there- black vanity, white toilet, white/grey marbleized floor & gold accessories & vanity detail.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Novel Remodeling
    7 years ago

Have you considered cream as a color for your kitchen? Its elegant and can look spacious

oldbat2be thanked Novel Remodeling
  • oldbat2be
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Eam - I like the idea of incorporating yellow. This could also be the grout color - here's French Linen:

I don't want orange! (Though it goes beautifully with the floor).

No glaze on tiles or cabinets. Cabinet color is Crystal White (Conestoga); I forget what the grout is.

I don't think blue is right for this space (sorry!).

• eam44
    7 years ago

In a million years I never would have guessed you used French Linen! It's really a pale grey, not white at all... OK, here's what you've got:

And here's what we could add in the yellows: Shell and Chardonnay.

I considered adding Cashmere, very pretty, but it's a more saturated color. I think your idea of using a Barley colored grout is a great one, but there are very few grout options in yellow, unless your installer can somehow customize that for you. I originally believed that we should incorporate French Linen into the mix, and it will look beautiful with the yellows, but in truth, you could choose another glaze instead, and just have your tonal yellow oasis if you like.

Heres another adult hand to give you an idea of the scale of the mini Star and Cross.

• eam44
    7 years ago

Given that you chose Blue Spruce on your own, I thought I'd show you some possibilities along those lines. Below are your French Linen with Halite, and Blue Spruce... and a little swatch of Barley just to remind you what the inside will look like.

• eam44
    7 years ago

Another option would be to go grey all the way...

French Linen, Oyster Shell, Gypsum

Or...French Linen, Rainy Day, Shale

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Eam! So sorry for any confusion - the tile with the yellow grout I linked, IS the French Linen; ours is a color called Debris, which does not seem to be available any longer. I'd say it's somewhere between Daisy and Ultra Cream (shown), with very little variation.

Shell seems to have a tinge of peach to it which I dislike. Chardonnay's a V4, which may be more variation than I want. The idea of picking a selection of tile colors which will work together rather terrifies me!

No-one has called me back yet - I'll reach out again tomorrow. Thanks so much for your help!

Edited to add that the French Linen / grays, are in the lead so far:)

Also - DH has started a little exploratory demo on our current pantry, the custom shaker pocket doors will be ready for pickup next Tuesday, and work is starting tomorrow on the pantry wood order.

• eam44
    7 years ago

How exciting! OMG, I love shell. It isn't peach, or wasn't when I saw it irl. It's a beautiful cross between cream and yellow, but absolutely get rid of it if you don't like it. I do love the compilation of greys. It's very sexy, somehow...

Debris was a series of recycled tile; I didn't realize it was a glaze as well ("glaze" in the tile universe is the liquid colored glass that gives the tile it's color). Ask your helpful Fireclay designer which of their current glazes would match it. Whatever it is, we should try to keep it in the mix...

oldbat2be thanked eam44
  • oldbat2be
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'll ask for shell samples as well, then, your description sounds lovely. You are correct once again - 'Debris' was the series, not the color. Color is Mica, discontinued now.

Off topic - scrolling through the Fireclay facebook tile blog for inspiration - isn't this so visually satisfying?

• eam44
    7 years ago

MICA!!! It is gorgeous! What a shame they discontinued it!!

I love the quilt-like quality of the mix of insanely complex tiles. It should be too much, right? But it's kind of perfect...

My current Fireclay obsession is with the picket tile in the pattern I call leaf, they call braid. This is in Sea Glass. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of greens, or of white cabinets with brass knobs, but golly Moses, this is gorgeous.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    7 years ago

eam44-I love the leaf pattern; have ogled Heath's wide hex twist for so long as well.

First shipment of tiles arrived yesterday; another is on the way. I remembered to go to my tile sample stash in the attic, and found a few 4x4s in the colors I like best, too. (Also found five tiles in blue spruce about which I'd entirely forgotten - and which look nothing like the enchanting color I've seen in some pictures).

I'm really considering stacked squares, in a combination of colors. What happens to this look when the tiles are different sizes (one white clay body, Ultra Cream, and one recycled body, Frost)?

In pantry, against linen closet. The square Frost tiles are a lot bluer than the sample I received, but less blue than they look in the lower pictures.

Not that they're going in here, but this shows the barley better.

• eam44
    7 years ago

Ok, here's what I think I see from left to right:

Foggy Morning, French Linen, Tusk, Frost, Ultra Cream is that right?

When tiles are nearly the same size, the only way to deal with them is huge grout lines. The problem is that it isnt truly random, the smaller tile is always the same color. Better to stick to similar types/sizes, or have your installer trim every Frost tile. He'll love that. :-)

Are the square tiles older samples? It's amazing what the variation in Ultra Cream can be! I love the idea of mixing two, or even three glazes - don't know how I feel about adding the visual complexity of a crazed tile to that mix. The total amount of tile you'll need in each glaze might be lower than a standard run, and they may charge you for that ($150 if memory serves) but it could be totally worth it.

As for the shape, squares are so classic, no one could really object to them, but do the squares make you weak in the knees? My house was built in 1963. I have square tiles everywhere...

• eam44
    7 years ago

I love the boldness of your kitchen bs, and the quiet beauty of you MIca Star and Cross. Frost and Ultra Cream squares - if you love them - will be very pretty. But playing on some of your other ideas, I came up with some glazes you might not have pictured together. If you're done with brown, I totally get it. These are just thought experiments.

Ultra Cream, Pewter, Quartzite

Chardonnay, Saffron, Persimmon

Chardonnay, Olivine, Basil

In this particular thought experiment I've been playing with the idea of a random mix in an offset pattern, but also with an ombré look, a higher concentration of darker tiles at the base - like a cappuccino with the white foam on top and espresso at the bottom. Delicious!

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Eam - please forgive the delay in getting back to you. I've been thinking and mulling over the samples. This weekend, DH put in a lot of time and we have some progress to show, on the other thread.

Photographing in daylight I haven't done yet - partially because this area has no natural light. I do have a pretty good feel for what works with my counters, cabinets, floor and barley interior. One combination which I love is Daisy and Halite, very pale blue and green, respectively. However, after the footprint was put up, I'm realizing that it is fairly large and my initial thought is that I'd like to keep a tranquil feeling in the room. Also, it will be fairly visible from the kitchen.

I have more samples coming, so will make a few small sample boards and photoshop in the options. It feels dark now in this space and I'm wondering whether a color match in a glass tile to the cabinetry would be good. Either way, I think glossy would work well vs. matte finish.

I'm always up for experimenting, so will try photoshopping in your combinations.

I have so many hex backsplashes saved but don't feel it's right in the space. Too busy, somehow. Stilll.... I'll try that option too, because I think the monochrome finish would look great, from the kitchen.

I've asked what color best matches mica (the current tile). Continuing the same tile might be the cleanest option....

• eam44
    7 years ago

No worries! see how you like those samples in your space. Every other decision you've made has been spot on. I'm sure you'll make a lovely choice here too.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Another idea for you to work on - if I can get pretty close to the original color, I could use the Star and Cross again, combined with a subway (or other) border at the top and bottom, in the same color, like so (this is not done to scale).

• eam44
    7 years ago

Just occurred to me.... Instead of using subway tiles as thick stripes for the top and bottom of the pantry, use them to mimic the doors' linearity and frame inserts of mini Star and Cross, just like your stiles and rails frame panels on your doors. Depending on the dimensions of the piece and those of the tiles (not 3" x 6" but possibly longer) you could have three "panels" on either side of the doors, and double the design on the side of the pantry. These are mini stars and 3" x 12" tiles in White Gloss.

I know you love the simplicity of square tiles. You could use those in place of the mini stars as well.

It makes such sense - that room is already about texture, not color. Depending on the insert tile and the grout you use, the statement can be as bold or subtle as you like.

If instead of inspired genius I'm way off the mark, no worries.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My Fireclay rep has been very responsive and helpful. Mica (the color of my current Star and Cross tiles) was discontinued, when the color started to appear more pink than white. Apparently Tusk may be my closest color (awaiting samples).

Your latest ideas may just be inspired genius! To me, combining the different tiles in the same color, would be fun.

Off to photoshop:) While I do - here's what I've played with so far. Gut feel is that the star and cross is too large for the front.

Please... always be reminding me of what I can do for transitions too...

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I rather like the effect of the vertical tiles from the front, and view from kitchen:

edited to add one more, 3x12 in parquet.

• wildchild2x2
    7 years ago

I think you should keep the fun elements to the outside of the pantry. I really like the idea of doing an interesting tile surround.

The new pantry at 3 feet by 4 1/2 feet is basically a closet. I have one personal rule I follow for closets be they for food, clothing or general storage. That rule is white walls and white shelving when ever possible. They must be washable white walls and shelving. The whole point of the area is to be able to easily find things. There is plenty of color with the contents. Did you plan for a light in there? I have about the same sized closet in a spare room with lots of shelving. It does have it's own light. It wouldn't work well without one , even thought the room itself is well lit.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    7 years ago

watchmelol - I appreciate the input. Regarding the interior, walls will match the existing cabinetry (or be some other shade of white), but I've already specified BM Barley for the shelving/wood. I definitely take your point - I feel the same way about plates (white just shows off food the best IMO). An overhead light is in the works, I'm trying to decide whether to use a motion sensor or not as well.

• localeater
    7 years ago

OB2B- consider a door triggered switch as opposed to motion activated. I have one in my pantry and I like that the light goes on when I open the door. I also think it encourages the family to close the door :)

• eam44
    7 years ago

I really like the 3" x 12" in horizontal and vertical parquet - very pretty!

I managed to produce images to show you what I had in mind, but I don't like either one. They look a bit like a front door to me, but since I described them I'm showing them.

I haven't accurately represented the wall dimensions on either side of the doors. If they are 14.75" (mine are about 15") with mini stars (4" crosses) you are right, they are too big, so are the 4" squares unless you use 2" x 8" or 1" x 6" for the vertical and horizontal elements.

I far prefer the mock ups you showed yesterday. By the way, did you see the pantry ventilation post?

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    7 years ago

eam-Both of those were really fun, thank you! I'm glad you made them as I had been wondering about what you meant.

I've been searching for pictures of vertical 3x12 and can only find this one - which doesn't really do anything for me.

M.J. Whelan Construction · More Info

And I cannot find any pictures of 3x12 parquet installations!

• eam44
    7 years ago

So what are you thinking? Have you received more samples?

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The 3x12 in the parquet is still the front runner:) I think you nailed it when you said that these tile provide texture.

Doing this will very much depend on the right tile color - I'm anxiously awaiting the latest samples.... Hoping that Tusk will be the one.

• eam44
    7 years ago

Yeah, about that... I don't think Tusk looks anything like Mica, but ive only seen your tiles in images, you'll get to see them together irl. My guess would have been Sugar or Frost. Plan B... paint? Or are you still considering wallpaper? Is there a reason you don't want to face your pantry in wood?

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Definitely no to the paint - DH installed finished plywood on the outside, so it will definitely be tile or wall paper. It will be much easier to photoshop/picture, once the doors are up and exterior walls in place. My pictures above of the 3x12 are using Tusk, which 'seemed' a possible match. Time will tell. Thanks for hanging in there with me!

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    7 years ago

localeater - Always nice to see your name pop up! I think a door triggered switch is always going to have the lights on, when the door is open, no? In our case, the pantry doors will usually be open I think - I'm constantly accessing while cooking. That's why I liked the idea of a motion sensor to trigger the light.

• eam44
    7 years ago

So you don't want to order panels from your cabinet maker. I'm happy to hang in there with you. As you know, I love your kitchen, and I love tile - and you are a peach! The parquet bathroom image, did it solidify the layout for you? Images are hard to find. This one uses 2"x8" tiles in Sea Green.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Actually, panels could be an option but one which requires thought, as I'm going from a much busier profile on the cabinets, to a simpler one on the doors. I am planning on painting the doors the same color as the existing cabinetry.

The parquet bathroom image looked very nice; but I don't care for the 2x8 in sea green.

On melis918's backsplash post barncatz mentioned Winchester tile. I have to say I like the shiny larger tile - do you have any idea of the price range? (The Fireclay tile doesn't seem that shiny for some reason).

Too dark, probably; a rich brown might be an option.

Darker door color:

• barncatz
    7 years ago

Hi oldbat2be, I'm trying to remember what the tile store quoted me for Winchester. I don't want to mislead you...I'm thinking $18 - 20 sq/ft? If Wendy sees this, she priced it from an online source and she might remember.

So sorry, my brain is like a sieve.

oldbat2be thanked barncatz
  • oldbat2be
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Barncatz - thank you so much, glad you saw this :)

• cpartist
    7 years ago

I was looking at Winchester just recently and for some reason I'm thinking between $20-$30? It definitely is a beautiful handmade tile with some pooling of color, etc.

oldbat2be thanked cpartist
  • oldbat2be
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks cpartist - good to know, definitely in the ball park.

• eam44
    7 years ago

I know the top contenders right now are painted doors and tiled sides. What about simple Shaker panels stained to speak to the stained wood on your island? You can always have the doors veneered to match.

oldbat2be thanked eam44
  • cpartist
    7 years ago

Eam, those doors are stunning.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    7 years ago

eam, once again you come up with a spectacular option I hadn't even considered. Wow! That would be lovely but the island is cherry with a cordovan stain, which is way more red than I wanted. (The color has darkened a little, but no way would I want more of it!).

The Tusk color arrived yesterday - and I think it will work with the existing Mica. I'll take pictures in daylight this weekend.

Top contenders now are the 3x12 vertically (offset 1/4 stacked perhaps?), or more star and cross.

Thoughts on the two above shown?

One concern I have with the star and cross is how the grout disappears and you lose the pattern, without enough light. I know the solution is a grout with more contrast, but then I'm not matching what I did in the rest of the room.

I think I should turn to trim work, so I can finalize my available space for tile; will start another post for that. From edge of wall to door is ~ 19 1/2 on left and 14 3/4 on the right. So trim will very much determine tile.

• eam44
    7 years ago

You could use whatever stain you want, but I hear you. Tile it is.

I'm glad you like the 3"x12" tiles, and I'm happy that Tusk will work for you. By all means get input here, but this is what the designers at Fireclay can do for you better than we. With the linear tiles I'd be tempted to bullnose everything, keep it simple. With the Star and Cross you'll need more trim.

Its going to be wonderful.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Eam - this has been driving me a little crazy. My designer has been very good about sending colors but I like your ideas better than hers so far!

I came up with this tonight and think the size and shape may do the trick. (Not the color). Color will be Frost or Whitewash, both of which go very well with the current Mica.

This is 4x8 in a parquet pattern.

Left wall space=20"

(8+4+4)=16" plus 4" door trim

Right wall space = 15". So again, 4" trim, plus ~4 + 8.

What do you think?

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    7 years ago

One more round! I found sketch-up models of the tiles on the site (as well as the glazes!) and was able to mock up both layouts to what I think is an accurate rendering.

This is the 4x8 in a parquet pattern and the star and cross.

I don't like how the tiles on the right side of the parquet pattern look, but still do like the larger format tile. Any suggestions for other patterns?

• eam44
    7 years ago

Thank you! I'm glad I'm being helpful!

I like the parquet a lot, and of course the Star and Cross is perfect, but I don't know how edges are handled in the Star. How are they going to work that corner? The Star and Cross is more forgiving of the asymmetry, it seems to me. What do you think? Have you looked at the 3" x 12" on sketch-up?

Maybe it's worth going through the shape options again now that you're closing in on the color. The picket in the braid option (I know it's one of my favorites and you're not so keen...) has the benefit of linearity and irregularity, so the asymmetry left to right might not be so noticeable.

• eam44
    7 years ago

These are picket braid, and another image of the 3" x 12" parquet - both in Whitewash. I liked the vertical offset you created above with the 3" x 12" tiles. It also minimizes the appearance of the asymmetry from left to right.

Just one more thought - you don't have to try to match the Mica glaze if you go for Star and Cross. You want the glazes and grouts to look good together, but they don't have to match. And you can always use the mini stars if you like them.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You are so helpful - I'd hate to do this without you! I'm 98% sure I'm going with the star and cross. I LOVE, LOVE the picket in the wave but those are big tiles and I'm afraid the impact would be lost with how the doorway breaks it up. Another wall, maybe the fireplace in the kitchen:)

Regarding edges on the star and cross, I was told that a beveled edge would be the right treatment for the outside corner. Using Sketchup, here's what I came up with, with hopefully very exact dimensions and 1/4-3/8 grout lines, and the white clay body (which is a little smaller than the recycled). This shows the left side of the pantry, and then the front.

In this case, tiling would start at that outside corner, which would be all beveled stars, cut in half. (Please ignore the discrepancy in grout colors; the right side would be what is desired).

The 'messy' parts are the far left of the left side, and the far right of the front. I'll ask my designer for input. As you point out, I can tweak the width of the trim, but I believe this should be in place before tiling starts, no?

Regarding grout color - current grout is TEC silverado (here's a closeup). I'll definitely mock up a few sample boards once the tiles arrive.

Next up... line up a local installer (or remember who we used last time...).

• smm5525
    7 years ago

I love the star and cross!!!

oldbat2be thanked smm5525
  • eam44
    7 years ago

That's great! The white clay body has different glazes associated with it. Neither Frost nor Whitewash is available in the white clay. Can they send you a sample of Sugar?

It sounds like you want to recapitulate the existing tile in the room. Silverado is beautiful.

oldbat2be thanked eam44
  • oldbat2be
    Original Author
    7 years ago

smm5525, glad you like! eam44 - You're spot on regarding glaze and body; my designer reminded me of that yesterday. I placed the order anyway, with the recycled body and the White Wash. (I did get to see Sugar - I prefer the White Wash). 4-5 weeks... And yes, I am trying to recreate the look and feel of the existing tile. Since I have two different tile colors and two different door styles, I figured I'd better keep it simple. Thanks so much for all your help with getting me this far!

• eam44
    7 years ago

You're very welcome. I hope that every time you look at it you go a little weak in the knees :-)