SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vonshudo

Dill and Fennel plants are turning brown and dying - need help!!

Charlie
7 years ago

So I transplanted some dill and fennel plants into my garden and for the first month or so they have been doing great. But recently, almost all of them have been suffering. The fronds on many of the plants are turning brown and wilting, and some of the plants have already died entirely. A couple of the plants haven't turned brown but have still wilted and nearly died. The plants that look brown and wilted also have a bunch of these small, flying, dark-bodied insects all over them - not sure if those are part of the problem or are just attracted to the dying plants for some reason.

The only two changes that have happened recently were some heavy continuous rains, and I also applied a thin layer of cedar mulch to the beds. Some of my brassicas also started to look a bit sad and wilty and yellowing around the same time, but not nearly as bad as the dills and fennels. I recently read that cedar mulch can be allelopathic so today I pulled all of the mulch off of the beds in case that was a contributing factor. After all the rains, I think the soil was fairly waterlogged, and it even still feels pretty wet today even though it hasn't rained for some days. Which makes me think that overwatering is maybe the main issue, but not sure. Any advice? Is there any way I can save these plants? Thanks!! I am in central Texas.

Comments (2)