SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ekscrunchy

ADVICE ON HANS WEGNER WISHBONE CHAIRS...Original and replica

ekscrunchy
7 years ago

I've been admiring these classic modern chairs for years and, now that I have a Florida condo to furnish, am seriously considering buying 6 of them to use around my dining table (yet to be purchased).

There are many replicas around but I am unsure about the quality of these. Do any of you have experience with the replicas? Positive or negative comments? Who did you buy them from?

I like the natural wood more than the painted wood, as I fear that the paint will chip. But the price for the natural wood is almost double the price for the painted wood. If you have the painted wood frames, how did they hold up? DWR told me that they will supply paint for any chips that occur on the originals, but that makes me think that chips are a matter of course, even on the original chairs.

I'd also like to know the difference between the White Oak Oiled and the White Ash Oiled in the liscenced reproduction chairs. Hope someone from one of the retailers could tell me this; there are so many choices of finishes that it is difficult to narrow down.

If you own Wishbone chairs, I would love to hear how they are holding up, and would love help in deciding whether or not to go with the originals. I imagine that resale on the originals might be pretty good, so might take that into consideration as well.

http://www.danishdesignstore.com/products/wishbone-chair-wegner-wishbone

Comments (10)

• User
    7 years ago

We had the originals at work. A couple hundred of them. In the cafeteria of all places. Terribly uncomfortable, tbh, but they lasted decades in heavy use.

ekscrunchy thanked User
  • ekscrunchy thanked sunsoleil
  • wwbungalow
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have wishbone chairs (replicas) at our dining table. I have had them for 3+ years and they are still like new and comfortable. I purchased arm chairs rather than the dining chairs because they were larger. Unfortunately, I cannot find where I purchased them. Maybe LexMod ... but I am not positive about that.

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    7 years ago

I do not have the Wishbone chairs, but I have reproductions of a later HW design made in the USA in 1960. I bought my dining set at an estate sale, but if I had bought an original at an antique store, it would have cost ten times as much. The dining table is fine, but I think the reproduction chairs are not up to the original standards, and I did have to make some minor repairs on a couple of them.

As for the difference between ash and oak - ash has a finer grain and is a much lighter color than oak. IMO, ash is much prettier and would be my first choice. We use ash veneer on a lot of the furniture that we make.

ekscrunchy thanked Lars/J. Robert Scott
  • ekscrunchy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you, Lars. Pardon if I am being dense here but is there a major difference in the two woods for the buyer if the chair is painted?

Bungalow: I'm not sure which chairs you mean, as I thought there was only one chair design named "Wishbone" from HW. (???) Do you have a photo of the ones with arms?

• wwbungalow
    7 years ago

When I purchased my chairs, I tried to make sure the measurements were the same as the original Wegner Wisbone chairs. At the time I ordered them, some chairs were smaller in size. Hope that makes sense! I will attach a photo.

• rockybird
    7 years ago

I have the orange painted chair. I purchased it at DWR. (dwr.com) I very much like it. I will probably be buying a couple more in the near future. I pretty much just display my chair, but I love it.

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    7 years ago

If you buy painted chairs, there may be some difference in appearance, based on the wood and how they are painted. If it is a heavy lacquer, it won't make a difference, but if the paint is thin, you might notice some of the wood grain in oak, as it has the most pronounced grain. This may or may not bother you. When we make chairs for a painted finish, we generally use alder or maple, as they are smoother than oak. Ash is more expensive, and we generally only use ash veneer on our furniture when we want a very light colored finish. We also often bleach it.

ekscrunchy thanked Lars/J. Robert Scott
  • Nikola N
    4 years ago

I would recommend a Wishbone chair from Bespoek. They are following the original design and specifications. I believe it's a great and affordable reproduction.