SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdpyn2

Citrus freeze hardiness labels

John 9a
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I used to take the labels on new citrus trees pretty seriously, particularly the freeze hardiness since I need to select for what can and what cannot be left outside here in SE Texas. I was at one of the big box stores recently admiring the citrus and wondering if they would go on sale in late fall like they did last year. The lime labels usually suggest 30 or 32 as their freeze hardiness so I usually skip limes. We are going to hit the upper to mid-twenties several nights most winters....once in a while we might hit the upper teens but not for long. We just have to hope our trees have grown big enough to stand a few hours in the teens when we hit that unlucky year. The point of this post is to note that the Ponderosa lemons were also labeled with a freeze hardiness of 30F. That seems awfully conservative to me and I'm wondering if the label writers are erring over much on the side of liability. I know there are lots of variables that go into how well a tree handles freezing temperature and maybe we will get into those here but I just wonder how the rest of you interpret freeze hardiness information on the labels; with a grain of salt, literally, or maybe you have an online number you prefer?

Comments (17)