SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
picklejuice2020

Low-profile/shallow gas fireplace where pot-belly was in 1908 house?

M Young
7 years ago

We bought a 1908 house last year. It was built as one of three identical income properties by a businessman who wanted his three unmarried daughters to have financial stability. I've seen my neighbors' homes and we all have the same situation: a chimney with round openings where (I guess) a pot belly type stove went (maybe because the homes were intended as rentals they didn't install actual fireplaces?). We would like to have a fireplace where the first floor stack is, however the room is already fairly small (it is a parlor and there are built-in seats and shelves opposite the stack) so that - plus a toddler - makes a wood burning or stove that projects out into the room an unattractive choice. I am wondering if anyone else has had this situation and/or if anyone has a suggestion for a traditional looking fireplace that is very shallow since we can't do an insert, and don't want something that sticks out in the room?

This is the second floor opening - we aren't planning on a fireplace here but it gives you an idea:

The first floor fireplace area - I opened up the wall where there was a mantle expecting a fireplace and found this:

Comments (6)