SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roberto_borjas123

How to germinate a coconut as winter approaches - South TX Zone 10a

Roberto
7 years ago

Hello everyone, I'm in need of some suggestions. About 2 weeks ago, a neighbor of mine had provided me with a coconut that had washed up on our nearby beach (South Padre Island, where you'll find an occasional coconut wash up from Mexico down south). And I've already followed others advice of soaking the coconut in water for 2 days and then potting it and keeping it watered, etc. But just recently we had a pretty significant cold front (high temperatures in the mid 60s, lol yes in south Texas that's kind of cold since we're in the 90s most of the year) and I've heard that temperatures below 70 degrees aren't ideal for coconut germination. In the Brownsville-Harlingen area, you'll find an isolated coconut palm, so they ARE capable of growing here, but they'll first need to put up a fight for a month or two when temperatures might be in the 40s/50s for a couple of days straight. Well anyways, I'd like to know if anyone has had success with any techniques that have allowed for a coconut to germinate during the winter?

- I currently have the coconut in a pot outside, watering it with warm water in the morning and late afternoon

Comment

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living