SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sean_cross100

Rookie in the game, after some beginners advice.

Sean Cross
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi guys,
I've been brought to these forums as I've been trying to propagate some cuttings of various trees around where I live. As mentioned in the title, I'm quite the novice so any advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
The set up I have is a 24 way divided greenhouse container purchased from my local hardware store (see pics). I'm trying to grow several jacaranda cuttings and a few other trees that look like some fig species (could be entirely wrong here). Until now, I've just followed some basic cutting instructions from online, but after a hit rate of 0% after my first batch I assumed I was doing something. I'm living in Sydney where it is currently Spring. Some questions:

- Moisture levels: I have been planting the cuttings in a mix of vermiculite and purlite (soil-less mixes were suggested) which I give a spray over before and after planting the cuttings. The first attempt was left in some direct sunlight which I believe basically steamed the whole lot. Second time around, I have kept out of direct sunlight but still exposed to bright light. Should I be leaving the ventilation slots open? closed? half and half?

Actual Cuttings: I have been removing all but around 2 or 3 leaves from the cuttings I take, whilst cutting the remaining leaves in half or thereabouts. A few cuttings appear to lose their leaf stems after a couple of days to a week. Is this the correct procedure?

Mold/barking: I've attached photos of some white fluff that appears on a few of the cuttings. I've read this could be a process called 'barking' whilst others assume it to be mold. Should I expect this and if not, how should i remove?

Blackened Tips: The ends of some cuttings appear to darken in colour, almost blackening after a few days as well. I'm assuming the tips are dying off here but I'm not entirely sure. Does this mean I'm leaving too many leaves on the cutting?

Cheers

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms