SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_wolf80

CA Ribes speciosum -seems dead, will it come back?

Sarah Wolf
7 years ago

Ok just wanting to check and see but, I think I know the answer.

I have a
Ribes speciosum Fuchsia-Flowering Gooseberry. And up till a few months ago( around 2 months) it was doing fine. Partial sun, watered everyday (which it had been accustomed too since I'd bought it two years ago.) However, despite this being labeled as a plant that tolerates full sun, whenever I had it in full sun it would die off.

So I've had it in a spot where it would get sun, but mostly shade. Wasn't happy. So, moved it into a more sunny spot, still wasn't happy. So I covered it with a screen so it got, really filtered light. Now it seems dead. I've tried some miracle grow 'all purpose' grow food (this was at the first sign of it with it having not green healthy leaves). Nothing.

Is there anyway to like prune it and bring it back? Or once it's gone dead and nothing seems to happen it's not going to come back. This is the first time it's ever not had any green leaves.
It's been a container plant all it's life, and about 5 months back my 'oh-so-smart' mother decided it needed to be pruned. It lived through that so this was why I wondered if I needed to try and trim it in hopes it might regrow.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH