SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dizzy149

Basement Bathroom Remodel. Need Layout/Design Help

dizzy149
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

The bathroom in the basement is odd to say the least. The toilet is in a tiny closet and I hit my knees on the radiator while on the toilet.

The shower is actually around the corner in the bedroom:

We have to rip up and replace most of the plumbing in our basement. This gives us the opportunity to put drains and things where we want them. I want to combine the bathroom and closet into a full bathroom (and turn the old shower into a closet).
Here is my proposed layout for the new bathroom:

Before framing it is 150" x 57.5" The back wall and wall to the left of the toilet are concrete now. I'd fur them out and put some styrofoam insulation against the concrete. Each square is about 3" on my diagram.

My goals of the layout where:

1. Enough room to be comfortable on the toilet
  2. Vanity large enough to be able to put things on top of it (30" vanity)
  3. Large enough shower that I don't feel claustrophobic
  4. Handles for the shower positioned so I don't get soaked turning the water on

Questions/Concerns

1. Pocket door vs swinging door for entry into the bathroom. I'm leaning more towards the pocket door.
  2. Do I NEED a bench? Is the corner OK for it where I have it?
  3. I have a rainfall showerhead in the ceiling, and then I'd have a handle showerhead on the wall. Is the backwall the best place for it? If I move it to the other wall I feel that there would be less risk of water getting out of the shower, easier to route the plumbing, and maybe move the bench to the other corner?

DESIGN!!

Here is where I need some serious help. We live in an old house, built in the early 30s the owners started with craftsman and added some victorian flair in some places. We took out/toned down some of the over-the-top victorian things (crazy carpet and wall paper) and redid the old floors and created some nice trim:
These are from the dining room I just finished up:

The basement is *MY* domain (seriously, I worked my ass off upstairs for her, so basement is all mine).

Down the hall from the bathroom is the server rack with all my equipment. In the other room next to it is the theater-to-be. The basement is a more modern area, but I still try to keep some of the classical elements if I can. The old shower was these 1" yellow and pale yellow tiles. I DON'T want that! But I am at a complete loss of what colors or anything to do in the bathroom! Tiles, paint colors, flooring, etc.

Things I like (regardless if they make sense):

• Stone
  • Subway Tiles
  • Clean lines
  • Bold Colors

This is the pallette I used for my office which is also in the basement:

Here is the pallette for the theater:

This was another suggestion for my office. Maybe it for the bathroom:

Thoughts?

THANK YOU!!!!

Comments (2)