SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trash2931

Should I buy a reliable USED oven?

Ben Henry
7 years ago

I need to replace an old 27 inch electric wall oven/microwave, and I'm considering either a single oven and single microwave, with an added 110v outlet for the microwave, or a double oven.

All the reports I've read, however, show that there's some problems with today's ovens - most specifically problems with the "computer", "controller", or whatever you want to refer to the PCB installed in these buttons-only panels. Much trouble comes from "self-cleaning" ovens that destroy the sensitive electronics on first, second, or third use, which are hundreds of dollars to replace - and often cost as much as a new oven, essentially making it a disposable appliance.

Many of the high-end units don't have a self-cleaning feature, likely because they know it's bad for the unit.

Consumer Reports says GE ranks highest in reliability, but it seems none of the ovens are particularly reliable, and it greatly depends on the unit you happen to buy - some are good, some are BAD.

It occurred to me that my old Jenn-Air from the 1980s has worked flawlessly for decades and can handle an uncounted number of self-cleaning cycles.

So I'm considering buying a used, older oven - I'd replace the Jenn-Air with like kind if it weren't for the built in microwave, which I think is a bad idea. The only issue I can think of is that parts might be harder to find. What do you think?

Comments (5)