Those gone from the table........
9 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (16)
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
Related Discussions
Harsch Crocks Gone From Market
Comments (14)This is a follow up on the Ohio Stoneware European style crock. I decanted it today, which is a much longer time than the original six week ferment. I did this on the advice of a seasoned fermenter who insists longer time in the crock gives greater depth of flavor. He was right. I do have one observation, though. This crock is different from the Harsch in that it doesn't have the melodious blip..blip..blip that indicates the ferment is working away. One must resist the temptation to check it, however, as it does work. I have a Polish crock and it doesn't have the blipping sound either. I miss the blip. It was very satisfying. I hope those of you who were waiting for the Ohio crock for Christmas weren't disappointed. Deborah...See MoreHas making the table 'pretty' gone out of fashion?
Comments (28)Setting the table is the best part of entertaining for me. I love using my beautiful things, and I love washing them and putting them away again, and washing and ironing the linens. (Yes, I hate ironing shirts as much as the next person, but ironing linens keeps me in touch with where they came from- my mother, my grandmother, my MIL, wedding gifts, and even tag sale linens!) I love using my sterling, which my mother picked out for me when I was a baby, and my grandmother's Haviland and cut glass. I love fresh flowers and candles on the table. In fact, I love using the dining room, and if it's more than the 2 of us, I do. We moved last year and the dining room in the new house is easier to use than in our previous house, and I'm happy it gets so much use. I don't always use my good china for everyday dinners in the DR, but I always use my sterling. When my boys were small, I taught them the correct way to set a table, and we always used placemats and cloth napkins, even in the breakfast room. My daughter-in-law is beyond casual - no placemats or tablecloth, sometimes you have to ask for a napkin, bread in a plastic wrapper, etc. My GD, her daughter, is only 2, but she refers to my china and crystal as "Su-su's pretties". I tell her, "Play your cards right and this can all be yours." I gave her an infant feeding spoon in my pattern when she was born as well as a sterling baby cup and a small spoon and fork in my pattern. I am pleased to see that my DIL lets her use them often. I am going to give my DIL (among other things) some pretty washable placemats and cloth napkins (no-iron). Small steps....See MoreCalling all cooks...who's gone from gas to induction?
Comments (32)This wouldn't work for a lot of you, but it's a near-ideal setup for our household of two: I have a 30" gas cooktop, with a Max Burton portable induction unit sitting on an aluminum cookie sheet over the rear left burner (which was a rarely used and unreliable small 'simmer burner'). The induction top is where all boiling operations happen, from daily water boiling for the coffee press to pasta to blanching veg to (frequent) pressure cooking. A big advantage of this setup is that the placement at the back corner of the stove, directly under the under-powered vent hood and slightly elevated, ensures that steam is carried right up and away. Before, we had to use the front right burner, the most powerful, for boiling, and it's too far forward for the vent hood to capture the steam efficiently. In the heat of summer, the combination of dramatically less heat from the burner itself plus the steam removal makes a huge difference in kitchen comfort. A second big advantage of the induction rig here is for long, low cooking -- simmering down apple butter, or ketchup, or making carnitas. Our cheapo gas stove has real problems with the flame guttering out at low settings, particularly if another burner is in use; the induction unit makes a long simmer worry-free. Likewise, some pressure cooker operations, like chicken stock, spend 45 minutes to an hour at pressure, and it's a blessing to be able to regulate the burner precisely and with no worry about the effect of using any of the gas burners while it's going. This arrangement frees up the powerful front right burner for the more hands-on kinds of tasks it's suited to: searing, stir-frying, browning meat & veg before braising, crepe-making, etc. There are a lot of reasons I'd be very reluctant to give up gas: I've cooked for forty years on nothing but, I have some wonderful copper and aluminum pans that take maximum advantage of the flame, it works when the power goes out (several times a year in our rural area), I regularly toast tortillas directly on the burner, and (for me, at least) skillet operations are induction's weak point. But the 'hillbilly hybrid', while not a thing of beauty, gives us the best of both worlds, seriously increasing the usability of the existing cooktop at an extremely low cost. If I were to get a completely new kitchen, I'd probably go with an induction cooktop: Full induction cooktops have much finer-grained power levels than the portable, with the lowest settings much more usefully low. But I'd add a big gas burner for all the reasons in the paragraph above....See MoreIs the "Kitchen Table" forum gone?
Comments (27)Kiwi_bird and others. Until yesterday, I had been signed out of gardenweb and KT for months. What I found was that there is o longer any signing in through garden web. I had to do this: sign into HOUZZ. You cannot go to any GW venues via your personal page and Sign it that way. One in GW, your SIGN IN will be invalid. Clicking on Sign In resulted in error messages.) I was looking for COOKING FORUM searched Cooking while signed into Houzz. I spotted the Cooking forum and went there. From there, I entered KT by finding on of those cross posted topics to Kitchen Table. Later I noticed that on a side bar to the left in Houzz, there are Discussions and option to explore discussions. Today, I could not spot “Kitchen Table” but I’d saved a bookmark (sometimes I email myself my posts; comes in handy. ❗️ Sign into Houzz then you can use this link to get to the KITCHEN TABLE. It is still running. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/tag=33 <————————- for Kitchen Table ❗️ I did not read all the posts before paging down to respond. E eryones likely gotten it straightened out by this time. Hope to see you there....See More- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Stories

ORGANIZINGStorage Tricks for Those Who Love Their Stuff
Get ideas for clearing the decks without getting rid of all the lovely things you want to keep around
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGGet Those Carpet Stains Out: Best Nontoxic Methods for Spot Cleaning
Banish blotches the safe way with pantry staples, to get your rugs looking as clean as the day they came home
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNHow to Hide Those Plugs and Switches
5 ways to camouflage your outlets — or just make them disappear
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESFix Those 'Whoopsies': 9 Fast Solutions for Decorating Mistakes
Don't suffer in silence over a paint, furniture or rug snafu — these affordable workarounds can help
Full Story
FUN HOUZZ31 True Tales of Remodeling Gone Wild
Drugs, sex, excess — the home design industry is rife with stories that will blow your mind, or at least leave you scratching your head
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: 1921 Portland Bungalow Gone Glam
Vintage cabinets, pastel colors and creative flair outfit a cozy jewelry and mixed-media artist’s home
Full Story
ACCESSORIESHow to Hide Those Messy Wires
Untangle Yourself From Ugly Electrical Cords With a Few Tricks and Accessories
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESFrom Queasy Colors to Killer Tables: Your Worst Decorating Mistakes
Houzzers spill the beans about buying blunders, painting problems and DIY disasters
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESTrend Alert: Paint Gone Wild
Give your home an artful touch in drips and drabs, with paint treatments that feel free to splatter and splotch
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: Egg Platters to Keep Those Devils in Their Place
You just might cluck with delight over these perfectly portioned egg plates for Easter and beyond
Full Story
Texas_Gem