SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pvecholane

Stipa ichu

echolane
7 years ago

I've fallen in love with Stipa ichu. Hopefully, it will be a long term love affair. Here's how it happened....

We have a wonderful local nursery in a mini shopping center near my home. Whenever I stop in the grocery store, I am drawn to walking through the nursery. Luckily (!), I stopped in that day because I spotted the one and only plant of Stipa ichu. Here's a photo:

How could I resist a grass that looked this pretty....

When I googled Stipa ichu I discovered it is an adaptable semi-evergreen Mexican/South American grass. It's notable for moving in the slightest breeze. Surprisingly, not so widely available in the US. For example I could find no mail order sources. I was initially worried it might be an invasive seeder like Stipa teniussima, but, good news, it seems not.

i wound up ordering four more from my local nurseryman and planted them in some oversized clay pots I had just acquired for free and was wondering what I could possibly plant in them.

I went to quite a lot of effort to make a long lasting container mix for them. FWIW, here is the formula I used:

Two parts rich compost

One part vermiculite

One part Coconut Coir

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions