SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdpyn2

Overwintering In-Ground Ginger in SE Texas

John 9a
7 years ago

This spring I planted a ginger root I had that was trying to bud out. I assume it's the same variety usually sold for cooking. I planted it in a raised planter on the south side of my house under the shade of a small tangerine tree. It has grown up to about four feet and has recently put up about four flower buds. The root has grown a lot over the summer...maybe a 12" X 24" oval judging by the exposed roots. I added material on top of the roots a couple of times over the summer and probably should do so again. My question is what should I cover the roots with to best over winter them? Another option is to dig up the entire root wad and keep it inside. Our temperatures will probably dip into the twenties a few times in January and February but we will still get warm weather now and then through November and December. The raised planter contains fine river sand enriched with several different organics...cow manure, rabbit manure, and some composted material from Home Depot. It drains fairly well but it might stay pretty wet if we get a lot of rain.

Comments (5)

Sponsored