SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Oopharectomy, anyone?

Sueb20
7 years ago

I'm having ovaries and tubes removed in a few weeks, I don't know anyone personally who's had it done. How about any of my virtual friends?

My mother died of ovarian cancer at 55; my paternal grandmother also died of ovarian cancer. So I've got a double whammy. I feel good about having this done, just wondering about recovery and after effects from "real" people.

My instructions say no driving for two weeks, but the dr said if I feel okay, maybe one week. Instructions also say not to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk until after followup appt., which is 5 weeks later. Seriously?? Guess I'll need to make sure someone else is home when I bring home groceries!

Comments (26)

• bpath
    7 years ago

Wow, you had quite a decision. Wishing you all the best! Do you mind if I ask your age?

i don't imagine they do this laparoscopically, do they? So yeah, be careful lifting. Just bring things in one at a time, or does your store deliver? My elderly parents' store delivers and the fellow even puts much of the stuff away for them.

Take good care, watch some good movies, but nothing that will make you laugh too hard. ((hugs))

• maire_cate
    7 years ago

My best friend had hers removed at age 40- and that was 25 years ago. I don't recall any major issues other than arranging rides for her 3 kids who were all active in sports. I helped out with the driving and picked up groceries a couple of times. She was a nurse and her DH a physician and they didn't think it was a major inconvenience.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Bp I just turned 52. So it's an easier decision since I'm post meno (we think...that's another story) and obv not wanting more kids! And yes, it's laparoscopic. 3 little incisions.

And of course! Grocery delivery! I could do pea pod! Or just have DH do all the shopping bwahahahaha!

• User
    7 years ago

Mine were removed during total surgery (uterine cancer), so my experience will be a bit different. I didn't read about belly bands until after surgery, so did not buy one in time. But the only thing that bothered me was once I wanted to be up longer (going out with dogs, walking around a bit outside) my stomach area felt like it was being pulled down. This feeling was relieved when I put my hands under it to support (and I'm not/wasn't overweight/did not have a belly) to reduce the pressure. Good luck with your surgery. Shop heavily beforehand, cook ahead/order out and enjoy a weeks taking it easy the best you can!

Sueb20 thanked User
  • cooper8828
    7 years ago

Mine is a little different also. I had one removed during hysterectomy. On the driving, my doctor did not give me any timeline. He said when I could really stomp the brakes (pain-free), like if a child ran in front of the car, then I could drive. Like Allison said, shop heavily beforehand. I did not want my husband to do much shopping. He managed, during on small trip, to come home with vegan sausage. We are not vegan or vegetarian. Go figure!

Sueb20 thanked cooper8828
  • OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

I know a few people who have had partial or total hysterectomy. My DD recently had a bladder procedure which prevented her from lifting anything over 10 lbs for 6 weeks. It was difficult for her when thinking about 'what weighs 10 lbs' and a lot of things do. A big bottle of laundry detergent for example. She said she could 'feel' it if she forgot and tried to lift something. That was the hard part for her. She felt better after several days but was forgetting the rule before she lifted something.

Sueb20 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • User
    7 years ago

On the lifting, do obey. DD2 was pregnant when I had my surgery. I was at Buy Buy Baby and needed a Pack N Play put in the cart. It had been four weeks, so not the recommended 6. I put it in the buggy and felt it for a few days. Read afterwards about pulling interior stitches, possible scar tissue build up.... I decided it wasn't such a smart thing to do. Know your limits and stick to them! I did at least have someone go put it in the car. :-/

Sueb20 thanked User
  • Yayagal
    7 years ago

I had a complete hysterectomy/oopharectomy when I was thirty due to stage four endometriosis and they also did a bladder suspension. That was years ago when things were so different. I suffered for so long and then was told I needed an exploratory surgery to find the solution. I signed that they could do what needed to be done. The endo had invaded everything, even the bowels. It was a long surgery and ten days in hospital and it was the very BEST thing I ever did for my health. I recovered to full energy in two months. I had three children when I had been told I'd have no children due to the endo. I stayed on estrogen until age 58 when both my sisters got estrogen related breast cancer and I had to stop. Surprisingly I do very well without any estrogen and I look very feminine. For you it will be so much easier. You will be walking around and feeling better the day after surgery. You will be given estrogen and feel great. I wish you the best, don't be scared. You're going to do just fine. Yes, no heavy lifting!!!

Sueb20 thanked Yayagal
  • 3katz4me
    7 years ago

I also had a TAH which is completely different from a laparoscopic oopherectomy but even that wasn't too bad for me. I got the same advice about being able to stomp on the brakes that was mentioned above and also that lifting a gallon of milk thing. It's really important you do follow that advice and not rush things. Otherwise you run the risk of not healing properly inside and having chronic complications. I've been told people who have lap surgeries can have a tendency to rush things - no big scar, no big surgery. It's still a big deal to heal after internal parts have been cut out of the body.

I wouldn't assume you'll be prescribed estrogen if you are post menopausal as you may have no need for that. I've never taken it and didn't have any problem without it.

Sueb20 thanked 3katz4me
  • dedtired
    7 years ago

I never had that procedure, but I did have a laparoscopic tubal ligation. The weird thing was that when I woke up my shoulders hurt. I learned that they inflate the abdomen to see what's what and then the gas rises to get out of your body. Wish they used helium so I could have floated around for awhile! It did hurt to laugh or sneeze for a few days. I remember being told not to do any heavy lifting. I'm sure I complied for awhile but not as long as I was told.

Good luck with your procedure. My sister died of ovarian cancer at age 51. So sad. I have had a vaginal ultrasound to make sure all is well. Hers was rather random since there are no other cases in my family, at least on my mother's side.

Sueb20 thanked dedtired
  • Lyban zone 4
    7 years ago

I had a laparoscopic total hysterectomy a few months ago. I am 71 years old and was in good health. I stayed in hospital overnight and walked out in the morning feeling good. Stayed in bed for the remainder of day and night and took the pain meds prescribed for about 3 days. Other than the one day of resting I was up and about not doing anything too strenuous but not feeling overly sore or put out. Could easily make myself a meal and take care of self.

drove myself after 8 days. was careful about lifting heavy objects.

Went back in 6 weeks for a follow up and all had healed well.

Sueb20 thanked Lyban zone 4
  • tinam61
    7 years ago

Good for you Sue! I know you've posted on this topic several times and am sure you have thought all this out. I haven't had that surgery but something rather similar. Laproscopic. As mentioned above, the gas they use can cause some discomfort. Apparently it can cause a GOOD BIT of discomfort. Someone warned me of that beforehand and told me to ask for a rocking chair in my room. I did, and that made a world of difference. The heaviness feeling, I totally get that. I've never heard of the belly bands, but it makes good sense and would probably really help. The main thing I think will be resting, not driving, not lifting, etc. I usually feel a bit wiped out for a few days from the anesthesia. Thoughts and prayers for a quick and easy recovery!

Sueb20 thanked tinam61
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, had a big panel of genetic testing last year but the dr I saw said it just isn't totally helpful because my mother and grandmother never had genetic testing so they could have had a gene abnormality that I wasn't tested for. I've also been having monitoring ultrasounds for many years and she said current thinking is that that isn't really having that much effect on prevention either -- I can't remember the details but she explained some study that followed women in England. Anyway, my annual ultrasound for the last two years found ovarian cysts which then had to be re-checked weeks later, and in one case needed a CAT scan...all was fine in the end but it gave me enough anxiety to want to pursue this path. I'll be happy to get it over with, finally!

Loon -- your dr will NOT do the surgery if you have the gene and family history??

• Faron79
    7 years ago

I'm not supposed to say WHO, but a woman I know WELL had a diagnosis of stage 1B uterine cancer. No genetic component. Fargo recommended travel to Sioux-Falls, SD....so the "Da'Vinci machine" could be used. SIX remote-control rods were used, so as to avoid the "center incision". SIX rods sticking (6 1" incisions) into this woman's belly?!??!?! Yikes! Must've been quite a sight....

So...that's where the Ooph/Hysterectomy was performed. 3 "internal" rad-treatments, 1 week apart, were recommended (down there) & performed ~~ couple weeks after coming home. That was 3 yrs ago now, & the woman & her DH are confident it's all behind her.

She had quite the belly soreness for a month afterwards!

Faron

Sueb20 thanked Faron79
  • User
    7 years ago

Why would your Dr not do the surgery, Loon? I would find a new Dr.

Faron, my surgery was also done with the Da'Vinci machine. I only had three incisions. Luckily, it's local so traveling was not involved. So glad to hear your DW is doing well.

Sueb20, as far as hot flashes - I had two the week after surgery that woke me up during the night. My first thought was "omgeez, is THIS what I have to look forward to?!" Since then, nothing. I don't do any kind of HRT. Both my Dr at the time (now retired) and my new Dr (a woman) have not recommended.

Sueb20 thanked User
  • yogacat
    7 years ago

I had uterus and ovaries removed via robotic surgery in 2011. Even while I was healing and was tired, I felt better after the surgery than I had for a long time.

My number one suggestion is to check out hystersisters dot com. It is a terrific site for support during the process! They will tell you things you doctor won't think to mention. And they "get it" when the people around you may not.

In no particular order:

• You only have one chance to heal correctly. DO NOT overdo. This is really, really hard if you had robotic surgery, because you can't see and maybe can't feel all that has transpired.
    • I liked the belly band.
    • Check out the youtube videos about how to get out of bed.
    • Walk as much as you comfortably can post-op.
    • With a lot of advance planning, you can set up things so you don't have to lift anything too heavy - unless you have small children. It's still very easy to forget and lift what you shouldn't.
    • Emotions: expect to have at least one meltdown. None of the reasons for having this surgery are light-hearted fun. It doesn't matter whether you're worry about have surgery, or having a riot of emotions about no longer being able to have children, or dealing with people who are trivializing what you are going through (It's amazing how many absolute jerks there are in the world!) or wondering about sexual responsiveness afterwards or about instant menopause. Intense emotions go with the territory. (Humorous confession: None of the normal stuff was an issue for me. Friend was taking me to hospital; blind husband can't drive. DH thought it was important to be at hospital during surgery but not during admission. I wanted him there for admission. For some strange reason couldn't use reasonable words to explain it, so I had an all-out, crying, screaming hissy-fit! I can begin to tell you how abnormal that is for me! Weird. He went to the hospital with me even though he never understood why it mattered so much to me or why I went totally nuts!)
    Sueb20 thanked yogacat
  • lizbeth-gardener
    7 years ago

Allison & Sue B: I think what Loon is saying is her doctor will not do it laparoscopically.

Sueb20 thanked lizbeth-gardener
  • Faron79
    7 years ago

Some of the "stomach-area" recovery comments here made my chuckle...in a respectful way! When I had my large hernia repair done a few years ago, I obviously had the lifting/turning/no vacuuming restrictions. WHAT?! YOU MEAN I CAN'T VACUUM?!!?!! ;-)

Sudden belly-laughs were good.....AND bad, lol!!!!

The weird sensation of internal movement happened frequently after the new knee. Usually when standing up, the strange feeling of blood ????? moving down was.....well, strange!

Faron

• 1929Spanish-GW
    7 years ago

Hoping for the very best outcome.

Sueb20 thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • loonlakelaborcamp
    7 years ago

There are many reasons woman have ovaries and tubes and uteruses removed.

For many cases, laparoscopic removal is great - even preferred.

If there is a question of cancer or even many gene abnormalities, Davinci or laparoscopic techniques may be contraindicated due to the chance of cells migrating and reproducing elsewhere after the procedure.

The histersister.com website is excellent. They have forums for both pre-op and post-op tips that are very beneficial.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I figured I would just circle back and say that everything went well. It's now about 2 weeks after surgery and I am almost back to normal except that I don't quite have my normal energy back. I sort of feel like I'm about 15 years older than I am...I assume this will get better soon enough. They did find "pre- pre- cancer" cells in one tube, so I am thankful that I had this surgery. Because of that, and because my mother actually had ovarian cancer after having a hysterectomy, the dr. wants me to have an annual CA-125 blood test from now on, and of course annual pelvic exams. Too bad, because I was hoping I could walk off into the sunset and never think about this again, but at least it feels like the surgery was definitely the right thing to do!

They also did a "wash" of the whole area and there were no abnormal cells. I feel like I got great care and had a really good surgeon.

• joaniepoanie
    7 years ago

Glad to hear you are on the mend!

• Funkyart
    7 years ago

Thanks for updating us.. I was thinking about you earlier today and wondering how you were doing!

• OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

Thanks Sue. Good to know you are making steady progress and that you made the right decision to have the surgery.

• 3katz4me
    7 years ago

Nice to to hear from you - glad to hear you are feeling good.