SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joannacoley

Need help with my family room niches

joannacoley
7 years ago

Wonderful houzzers! I am not sure what to do with the niches in our family room. I really do not want to fill them in, but I will if have to. Any other ideas? Shelves, plants, vases? Would you paint them a different color? In process of getting table and chair in the room. Would you put something else where the C is to go with the niches? Thank you!

Comments (3.2K)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Was that the micro fiber style?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

If you have an upholstery attachment for your vacuum that is what is best to use...and you can turn it over and vacuum it on the backside too.....only use dry carpet shampoo to spot clean.

• Related Discussions

My family room needs your help

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi Rina -- What a wonderful room. Perhaps a more modern squared sectional or a sofa with a lounge end and then add another chair . Or have matching sofas back to back with a narrow console table between for lamps etc then add another chair and an upholstered ottoman for the backed sofa . That should fill the void in the center . Everything looks real nice right now .
    ...See More

Hi there , I need help with my family room

Q

Comments (5)
    Nice room. A much larger rug is a must. Exercise equipment to bedroom, office, basement or garage. Don't block the FP. Large art over the FP. Declutter the shelves (less photos, more large accessories).
    ...See More

I need help in adding another color to my family room.

Q

Comments (24)
    Love the wood work your home is pretty just needs a lighter not so heavy color texture I would paint the walls a lighter color and get rid of heavy dark curtain. Im guessing you like the dark carpet cause its a kid friendly color and they lounge on floor. But it does dull the room. Im not a fan of rug on carpet but it a easy way to brighten the room I would change carpet to a lighter color This board has lots of people that hate any n all carpet If u read this forum its like carpet is the new lead paint it nasty full of germ dirt n you are breathing living in trash lol So just wanted to be one person that suggest a lighter newer color carpet :-)
    ...See More

Need help with my narrow family room

Q

Comments (9)
    Have you looked up long narrow living rooms / long narrow family rooms on Houzz. I had contemplated purchasing a home with a long narrow living room. I ended up purchasing a home with a square living room, but while deciding on which house I liked best I looked at furniture placement in each. I really like the look of the long narrow rooms with a long sofa (4 seat sofa or 3 seat sofa with a chaise)
    ...See More
  • joannacoley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Julie. It’s definitely faux. Not sure exactly what it’s made of. If there a dry carpet shampoo you have been happy with? Looked on amazon and too many to choose from:)

• Lainie D'Eon
    6 years ago

Looks great! Are you still looking for something to go over the bed?

joannacoley thanked Lainie D'Eon
  • joannacoley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I think the bedroom is done for sure. I love it the way it is. I have a question. For the ceiling trim, I have to choose between 4 inch and 6 inch wide. Is there a rule when it comes to baseboards and ceiling trim? Our baseboards are 6 inches. Is the 6 inch wide trim too wide and bulky? Would love to hear your opinion between the 2. Hope you all have a great weekend:)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

I would do 6 inch

joannacoley thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • joannacoley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Julie, should I ask for the 6 inch but thinner like the 4 inch??

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Oh Joanna just saw this last post..I missed it:(.....what did you decide on?

• joannacoley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Julie! No worries. They have to make a mock up sample for us. Asked them to make it 6 wide but thinner like the other. Think it’s better that way for flexing and it was too bulky in certain areas. Waiting on the sample. They are taking their time. Ugh. Ready to get it done!

Did your friend find any chairs?

• joannacoley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Ladies! Julie, I took your advice and ordered different chairs for family room and moved the other ones to office. What do you think? Also, the ceiling trim is going up! Keep posted:)

• Lainie D'Eon
    6 years ago

All looking very cozy.

Now teacher & student both have a comfy chair.

• PRO
    build a majig
    6 years ago
    Woooooowsy. it turned out so beautiful.
    joannacoley thanked build a majig
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Good Morning Joanna:)

They are FABULOUS!

The room looks so nice with the new chairs...the color looks so good too!

It really gives the room a more cozy welcoming contemporary style..

the gray swivels look perfectly at home in the office...like it was meant to be!

I hope you are happy?........the room is just Beautiful:)

• joannacoley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all! I like the new chairs. They aren’t too light and seem good quality. Can’t believe the deal on them! Sold the other 2 chairs in office and it practically paid for one of the new chairs! Thanks for the great find Julie:)

• joannacoley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Houzz friends! Wanted to show you a couple pictures of the new ceiling trim. I think it turned out great! Julie, I went with your suggestion everywhere.

• Lainie D'Eon
    6 years ago

WOW, Joanna... a truly elegant finishing touch!!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Joanna..it is so beautiful...trim can really add so much interest to any home:) so glad it all worked out!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Just wanted to wish you a Happy Easter....:)

• joannacoley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Happy Easter!!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Gosh Joanna I miss talking with you!:) hope you are enjoying your new comfy swivel chairs!

• joannacoley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I miss talking to you too! Been really busy here with my kiddos lately. We are enjoying the new swivel chairs:) Weather has been crazy here. Warm and windy now, but may snow Saturday!! Can you believe it?

• joannacoley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I would like to ask you about basement colorful tree canvas. What do you think of it? If I were to replace it with something more neutral, any ideas?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Oh you know I love my neutral:))

it is not my favorite...I think you could do better for sure with those gorgeous teal chairs and black and white rug....what is the size of that art?

• joannacoley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Each canvas panel is 20 X 31.5 and the way it was spread out, was 6 ft on the wall. Here is a picture with the bare wall. Can I leave it that way?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Hi Joanna...I don’t see why not...looks nice...unless we find something fantastic I would leave it:)...

• joannacoley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Julie:). It just started to bug me. Feels more open this way without the colorful art:). The chairs are the center of attention too. If you find something fantastic and worth the money, let me know.

How have you been doing?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Great! Had my son and his wife my daughter and her boyfriend for the entire Easter Weekend..we had so much fun! Even at 29 and 31 they love to color eggs...do puzzles and play cards...we are so blessed...we really had great family time!

Hope you had a great weekend too!

have totally retired and am enjoying Houzz and quiet time reading...it has been a long time since I had enough time for reading:)

• joannacoley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Awesome! Hope my kids will do the same when they get to be 30:).

• joannacoley
    Original Author
    5 years ago

How are my houzz friends? Haven't talked to you all in a long time! Lots has been going on here. Looks like we will be moving to another home this summer. Can you believe it? Our house is now on the market this week:( I am sad, but need to downsize and the gravel road bridge and road costs a lot of money and just done paying for it. Felt led to move. The house will need a patio and will need to purchase a new family room chandelier (would love your ideas). Would you all be interested in helping me arrange the furniture in the new house and paint? The biggest thing that bothers me with this new house is I will lose the first floor master:( They have a first floor guest bedroom with bathroom though, which my daughter will take. Let me know if you would like to help and will post some pics!

• Lainie D'Eon
    5 years ago

Wow, a new home.. lots of fun decorating! You just finished decorating this one so some lucky folks won't have much work to do. Would love to tag along on your new decorating adventure. Has been super busy here this year. Lots to do with the grandkids ,gardening & building our new garden/man toy shed. Just a bit to finish on the outside then the fun decorating starts inside. Keep us posted .. would love to see your new home.

• joannacoley
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Our house sold in 2 days!! Thanks to everyone’s help decorating:). Wonder if I can start a new post? Is there a way to do it and tag you and Julie and shwshw sorta like Facebook? Does anyone know?

Here are a couple pics of new home. Simple colonial modern home. Can’t send the link to it since not mine until end of June. As I said, the master is second floor last picture) but they have a first floor guest bedroom with private bath.

• Lainie D'Eon
    5 years ago

WOW... looks very nice & roomy!!!!

Is this a new build?

• shwshw
    5 years ago

Exciting. Just post a link to your new dilemma here and we will follow it.

joannacoley thanked shwshw
  • joannacoley
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Built 2014. Going today for inspection.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Good Morning Joanna! Yep I am here and following...hope all goes well with the inspection :)

• joannacoley
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Awesome! I have a question already:). The bonus room will be a game room. Planning on putting an L-shaped sofa on the wall between the 2 windows when you walk in (first picture). Then put the ms.pacman, piano and games shelf from basement on the other side. Any suggestions on how you would arrange the Pac-Man, piano and games? The piano is so heavy and can not be moved. I need to place it down and leave it:)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

I would put piano on smaller wall right in the middle....

• joannacoley
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So glad we can all work together again:) missed our talks. Now we have another chance!

Would you put Pac-Man with bookshelf on other wall? Would you put pac man towards the closets facing the other wall? Also, what color paint for bonus room? Same as rest of house?

I took a picture of the color 7023 requisite grey in the house and with master bedroom curtains. I think the pictures make it look green, but not so much with the eye. Would you change master bedroom to another color or can it work?

I think color works works for my son’s bedroom too, do you? It doesn’t look so green against his comforter.

Also, would you all change the main door color to a rich teal color or leave as is(maroon)? Lots of questions!

• joannacoley
    Original Author
    5 years ago

One more question...is the office color blue ok or repaint?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

That requsite gray should be a nice backdrop in all the rooms...

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

You need that teal door..maroon is not Joanna:)

• Lainie D'Eon
    5 years ago

Joanna, could you post a shot of the floorplan blueprints for the entire house? Will make it easier to get a sense of the layout of the rooms.

• joannacoley
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I just got the news from my realtor that the contract that was put on our house fell through! Now I have to put my house back on the market. Very upsetting.

Julie, requisite gray in office too or leave it blue? Was thinking to leave it blue. Lainie, I don’t have a floor plan but can ask a little later.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Oh that is horrible:( but no doubt a new buyer is on its way!

I would leave the office blue..nice color and will work well with your furniture.

• shwshw
    5 years ago

Sorry Joanna, hope another buyer comes along soon.

joannacoley thanked shwshw
  • joannacoley
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Very upsetting. They had a preapproval letter, but something happened in the meantime and could not get another approval from 2 banks. Went back on market today and had to cancel first showing because we got SO much rain, area flooded! More rain coming too. Can you believe it?!

• shwshw
    5 years ago

ugh

• Lainie D'Eon
    5 years ago

Will the flooding deter buyers?

• joannacoley
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Flooding is throughout the Richmond area. There are lots of areas with flooding. Have to wait a few days. I would hope buyers understand because catastrophic things do happen. A neighbor said they have lived in our area for 13 years and it has never happened. Nothing wrong with our house. We are leaving today for Orlando Universal Studios and was hoping would sell while we were gone! We will see. Gonna try to enjoy our family vacation and not think about it too much!

• joannacoley
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Finally have our house under contract! Yeah! Want to ask your opinion about furniture placement. Buying the beautiful blue sectional couch from the sellers. Would you keep it there or move to the bonus room (which will turn into a tv room)? Or keep our current family room set up with the grey couch and Ivory swivel chairs? It would make room more open to kitchen. The teal basement chairs and round small table could go in the kitchen area if keep same set up. Otherwise teal chairs with grey sofa in bonus room and put ivory swivel chairs in kitchen with piano? Ideas anyone? Pics are above.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH