SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adrijanar

Citrus Newbie, Meyer Lemon issues in 6a. Please advise!

adrijanar
7 years ago

My Meyer Lemon tree is having issues. Currently its in a 1-1-1- of peat moss, vermiculite and organic soil mix. ( i wish i read about 5-1-1 mix sooner). I brought it in a few weeks ago when it already started budding as the rain was relentless and it was being drowned. I have not watered it since! With in the past couple of days I've seen buds popping form every node on this little guy, and i mean crazy amount. From what I've read on the web and the experts on this forum I'm faced with the symptoms of over watering. But like any desperate parent I'm in denial ( HA!)

I read that there is a Sicilian practice called veridelli which extends the lemon season by delaying blooming with water starvation for the 2 months in the spring. I might have unknowingly done this when i first got the tree as it was in a small 10" pot outside.

The leaves are yellowing from the veins out and dropping but it takes a long time to do it. The other ones are yellowing at the tip. I've been spraying it with a weak solution of water and Dyna-Gro foliage Pro as it appears the tree is not getting nutrients. I do not want to water as the moisture meter is indication 6 in low that its normal moisture content so i cannot lower the PH which is currently showing 6.5-7.

My questions after all this is are:

1. How bad will the tree suffer if i transplant it to the Al's 5-1-1 mix.

2. How fast can I see the improvement in the tree? ( I know every tree is different and they can be temperamental, so I'm asking for people's experience with their trees in the root rot situations)

2. Will I loose the blooms on it if I transplant it/ (I can afford to loose most of them but the smell is intoxicating so I'm hoping to keep some).

3. Al's 5-1-1 mix - if i split the peat moss parts to 1/2 peat and 1/2 compost what would the implications of this be? I am wondering if i would be able to utilize organic methods of fertilization when I move the trees outside in the spring?

I am in zone 6a Western New York and I'm not a newbie gardener but I am newbie citrus owner. I know this subject might not be new, I apologize for repetition, but I have not found the answers to the questions above on this site (or it might have been to late in the evening and it did not compute).

I look forward to any input!

Here are some pics of my suffering tree:

Thank you!

Adri

Comments (8)