SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hapinesca

We call him frozen or how a miracle chick.

Anna Cunningham
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I would like to share my experience for anyone out there who also is searching for answers, like I was two weeks ago.

Yes, chicks and can hatch from eggs abandoned for 8-12 hours in cold weather.

MY GUINEA HEN WENT BROODY right at the end of September. Even better, she decided to make her nest right in the middle of the field, near a huge pile of brush that gets tons of traffic from raccoons, foxes, coyotes, deer and skunks, neighboring cats and my 2 horses who could easily just stumble over her.

First, inexperienced, I caught her at night and moved her and her eggs to a nice warm place in the barn. She did not like the move, as I found out in the morning. She threw her eggs around and did not sit on them all night.

Ok... I thought... I will move you back, silly hen, but I WILL put some chicken eggs to your pile since your eggs are probably all dead.

So the guinea was happy to get back to her nest in the field. I build a fortress around her and left the dog on the deck at night to watch over her.

18 days forward I am sending my teenage daughter to feed and lock in the chickens and she accidentally (you know those teens...) closes the broody hen in as well. We leave the house for a day, we come back and I discover the mistake. The eggs are cold. The hen wants to return to her nest. I do not protest and do not care any longer. I am just letting her experience somewhat of a motherhood.

Three days later, we had our one and only chick - a guinea meet. We would probably get more chicks if some eggs would not have exploded and contaminated other eggs. There might have been other live chicks, but I found only shells, no chicks. On day 22 an egg exploded right in front of me, and it smelled awful. The guinea hen ate it, chick and all, before I take it away from her. It made her sick. She had a diarrhea right on the eggs and abandoned them.

I did end up taking the only chick away. After she abandoned the eggs, I took a day old chick and approached the broody hen. She followed me, hopped in the coop and I close the door. I sat and watched her, she watched me, tried to nest with the chick, but then ran to the door to reunited with her squad. The chick tried borrowing under her, but the hen was too restless and I abandoned the mission. She probably did not want to care for the chick in the closed chicken coop - I could not let her go outside with it.

Total eggs were left in a weather of 40 and 50 degrees twice for about 9 to 10 hours, so it is possible.

Best lesson I got from this: less interference from humans in the life of wild animals, always is better. Guinea hens ARE wild after all!

Comment (1)