SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abqconiglio

Ideas for cupped roses?

My favorite flower form is the cupped form, which unfortunately seems to be the toughest one to get. The flowers frequently start out cupped, but then open further and lose their form, turning into a loose rosette. In fact, almost all of my roses which have interesting forms in their photos lose their form quickly as they open. This happens particularly in the heat. Sometimes Alnwick Castle holds onto the cupped form. The flowers of Jude the Obscure is an exception in that they sometimes don't open enough. Sonia Rykiel's and Guy de Maupassant's blooms lose their form as they open. What are your favorite cupped roses?

Here's my Abraham Darby, looking just about perfect.

Comments (88)

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Rebecca, for some reason your luscious Perdita photos skipped my elder mind--they are sumptuous and just exquisite. Now I must check her out more on HMF. Has she been discontinued by Austin? I never hear about Perdita. Your winters sound absolutely wicked and so challenging. Good luck with all your lovely Perditas through the coming winter. Diane

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I agree with Diane! So beautiful. They actually look a lot like Bolero. Does anyone know how Perdita handles dry heat? HMF rates Perdita as "Good -" for heat, which is not particularly good.

• Dave5bWY
    7 years ago

Rebecca, I have eyed Perdita for awhile now but regret not getting her. The blooms you posted above are so beautiful and perfect. Yes, I wish I could find her grafted. I'm not sure I could even find her own root now. You'll have to continue to share her beautiful blooms!

Original Author
    7 years ago

Just remembered Margo Koster. Does anyone grow this rose anymore? It's an older rose, with no/little fragrance, but it used to be very popular. Seil? I just noticed on HMF some photos from you. Margo Koster seems to have a hard to place color, however.

• Kelly Tregaskis Collova
    7 years ago

Rogue Valley has Perdita...

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

Alpenfee:

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

Mary Rose:

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

noseometer, your ears must have been burning because I've been thinking of posting Margo. I grew her from a band this Spring (from Burlington) and love her. She's so cute and is blooming up a storm right now. Such a gay and happy little rose. I have her planted next to Cecile Brunner and Fire Opal, both of which complement her well.

Also, to my nose at least, she does have some fragrance. For some reason, I just adore this little polyantha,

noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque) thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • User
    7 years ago

Diane, thank you for your compliments and well-wishes!! DAR told me this year that this was the last year for her through them. You could call them and see if that still holds true. I saw Perdita listed on Heirloom roses and Roses Unlimited. They would be a good source as well. :) My winters can be wicked and challenging, but that makes spring, summer and fall that much more wonderful. And, I do so love to knit and watch movies, plan gardens and read during those winters. I need the rest. I could never be in a state where I could garden year 'round. I'd collapse. :)

Noseometer, Normally we have very hot dry summers and I have all of my Perdita up next to a West facing wall of my house. We had a hot summer with a number of 100 plus degree days and mostly 90's. Some were wet, some were dry. Perdita did not get a single dry petal or leaf. I do water daily when they are up next to the wall in the heat. (We are talking a bed that is 12 inches deep by 48 inches wide with 4 roses planted in it!) I even keep the bed of 6 that is 2-3 feet away from that wall watered well.

Dave, try Heirloom or Roses Unlimited. She would do better in zone 6 as far as hardiness. I have no experience with her for diseases, though. She is an amazing cut flower, though. I doubted my judgement when I was digging six holes 18 inches wide and 20 inches deep this past spring... Out there with my snowsuit on, it was so cold... But I am really glad I did it now. Don't give up the hunt!

Here is a photo of my OR Perdita roses from last year... The blossoms aren't quite as full as the grafted ones this year. I did use DAR fertilizer on my grafted ones and Osmocote on the OR one, so that may have made a difference. I will use DAR on all my roses from now on.

Dave... This one's for you...

Rebecca

noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque) thanked User
  • Dave5bWY
    7 years ago

Wow, Thanks Rebecca! Beautiful! Heirloom confirmed they will have it next spring. Kelly - you're right - RVR does have it in stock - thanks! I'll wait to hear back from DAR and if I cannot order it there I'll get it from one of the others. Man, I already have my spaces filled but and orders for next spring complete but will somehow manage to find a place for it :)

• Lisa Adams
    7 years ago

SO beautiful!

• Kelly Tregaskis Collova
    7 years ago

Me too. Gardens are full and already ordering more...it's not even spring yet!

• User
    7 years ago

Glad you were able to find it in stock for next year!!! If you get it own root, you might want to put it a couple inches deeper in the dirt, just for safety's sake. Keep in mind that OR Perdita takes several years to establish herself. I always plant my OR roses a couple inches down for insurance. I don't think any of you will regret purchasing Perdita. An amazing cut flower... Long stems for the vase... A spicy scent, and great form... She has Iceberg running in her veins... A blooming machine!!

Rebecca

• User
    7 years ago

If you get OR Perdita from Heirloom or Roses Unlimited, it will be a bit bigger than the regular bands. Smaller bands would benefit from being in a pot for awhile to get root growth established before planting. That would give you time to make room. :)

Rebecca

• kingcobbtx7b
    7 years ago

Lady of Shallot is cupped, as is crown princess margareta. If you really want to go cupped route, go look at some hybrid perpetuals. I had several from ARE at old house that were very cupped.

• Holly Webster(7bNC)
    7 years ago

Which hybrid perpetuals were your favorites?

• kingcobbtx7b
    7 years ago

I only had some of them for about 6 months before we moved, but La Reine was a good one, as was Barrone Prevost, Henry Nevard.. those were the main ones as far as globulars. I also got Paul Neyron after Doug Welsh told me its black spottedness was over blown, which in the end I agreed with. I also like Reinnes de Violette. Alas 22 roses was all I felt like digging up and taking with me to North texas, so I left a good 30+ roses behind. Some of them intentionally others regrettfully, but I liked most all the Hybrid Perpetuals I got into.

• Holly Webster(7bNC)
    7 years ago

Thanks!

• kingcobbtx7b
    7 years ago

My apologies.... La Reine victoria is the one I got that was globular not La Reine. Its a bourbon. I became fairly certain it was the rose in the cover illustration of "In Search of Lost Roses" which actually sent me down this rabbit hole.

• kingcobbtx7b
    7 years ago

noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque) thanked kingcobbtx7b
  • kingcobbtx7b
    7 years ago

Here is also a short thread from 2007 on this subject. http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/1666416/cupped-roses?n=4

• Lisa Adams
    7 years ago

Kingcobb, what is that beautiful Rose?

• kingcobbtx7b
    7 years ago

La Reine Victoria

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

Added La Reine Victoria to my list. Thanks! :-)

• SoFL Rose z10
    7 years ago

What a great thread. My two favorite shapes are the cupped shape and the globular shape. Just wanted to add Charlotte that has a great cupped shape as well.

• Dave5bWY
    7 years ago

Fantastic, Kingcobb!!! I've read that she's very prone to BS - the only reason I haven't tried her yet. In your experience is this true? Any more so than other Bourbons?

• SoFL Rose z10
    7 years ago

Also Evelyn ❤️

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

• kingcobbtx7b
    7 years ago

Does she get blackspot....sure. Is she stainless steel where you spray or she's bare? No. I think her black spottyNess is similarly overblown to Paul Neyron.

• rosecanadian
    7 years ago

Kingcobbtx - Love your LVR!!!!! The color and shape are perfection and worth staring at for long, long moments!! :)

Summer - What rose is that? Is it Brother Cadfael? Gorgeous, but the type that would never open here. Wow!!

Carol

• kingcobbtx7b
    7 years ago

Alas that isn't mine. It is one I saw at a garden. I didn't have mine long enough to get that big.

• Lisa Adams
    7 years ago

Summersrhythm, whatever Rose that is, I love it!

Kingcobb, thank you for showing La Reine Victoria. It took my breath away! I am thrilled to see that Helpmefind lists it as zone 6b to 10b. I don't often see roses listed that "hot". Many just default to 9b. As for the black spot, that's pretty much a nonissue here for me. It sounds like it could do well for me. It also sounds like it won't get too huge. What a beauty! Lisa

Original Author
    7 years ago

Alas, Guy de Maupassant has not been a successful rose for me. After seeing the photos in this posting I had to have one. But instead of looking like that, densely petaled and cupped, mine looks like this today:

Not to mention the horribly diseased leaves, when that just doesn't happen in my climate. This plant is coming out this year.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

That's a shame, Noseo, and I'm surprised about the diseased leaves in your climate. It probably has something to do with the scanty blooms. How long have you grown GdM? I get scanty blooms on some of my roses in the heat, especially if they are pretty new. Other roses don't seem to care about heat.

I've been taking photos of the end game in my garden (see The Fall of the Rosen Empire thread), and this is probably Boscobel's last bloom. I don't think many more buds are going to open, but I've said that about ten times this fall. One thing about fall here is the dark rich colors of the blooms that appear on some plants, and other plants grow enormous blooms, too. It makes the ending more tolerable.

The last hurrah of Boscobel, a rose I recommend.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Whoops...I meant to show the last hurrah of Jude the Obscure. Jude is exhibiting that deep color I was talking,and so is Boscobel.

Jude's last hurrah...

• Dave5bWY
    7 years ago

Noseometer - I'm sorry about your GdM. I have it on order for next spring to try out in a large pot. I wonder if it takes a more mature plant to produce those wonderful blooms as some roses w/ very double blooms do (not sure how long you've had it) or if you just received a bad specimen. Other pics and comments I've seen/read have mostly positive but good to know about your experience.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks, Diane, for showing that photo of Boscobel. It's gorgeous! And your Jude has that lovely peachy-amber color that he can have that is so warm and engaging.

Dave, I planted GdM last fall, so it's still fairly new. I don't know if it will grow out of this and have better leaves and flowers. Right now, there isn't any sign of value in growing this (for me, of course). I'd love to see how yours does.

• totoro z7b Md
    7 years ago

I have read that calcium (lime or gypsum depending on soil pH and rose's preferences) and potassium are needed to produce many petals. Also that these are leached out easily by rain. Also magnesium is needed to slow the development of the petals.

Maybe try that before you SP GdM?

• rosecanadian
    7 years ago

Holey moley, Diane!!! That is one stunning Boscobel!!! The color is fabulous!!! The shape is fabulous!!! Wowzer!!

Jude looks great too! Stunning rose - wish I could smell it!

Carol

Original Author
    6 years ago

Alnwick Castle is quite globular this spring. Later in the summer, they will open up to show the interior petals, but for now, this is as open as they get.

Bush shot:

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    6 years ago

Looks lovely noseometer!

noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque) thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • garden nut z9b
    6 years ago

Barbara's pasture rose a likely vigorous clone of la reine

https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.37549.0 

noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque) thanked garden nut z9b
  • rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Nosometer - wish my Alnwick Rose would look like that!! Gives me a bit of hope for mine.

Gardennut - love that color!!! Woooweee!!!

noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque) thanked rosecanadian
  • totoro z7b Md
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Nanadoll, I got Boscobel this year and it's fragrance is now one of my favorites. Some kind of complex fruity scent and the David Austin label says myrrh so I guess it is a hawthorn myrrh scent?

I do love the bloom form too!

Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Beautiful, totoro! I was hesitant to get Boscobel after reading the description in the Austin catalog about hawthorn fragrance which I find rather unappealing, but they had it in the local nursery this year and the fragrance was lovely.

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

totoro - Such a wonderful rose!! Perfection in every way!! Wow!

Carol

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    6 years ago

That's a perfectly lovely bloom of Boscobel, totoro. I'd better get my nose in gear because I haven't smelled a scent on Boscobel. In our dry air, sometimes it takes a couple of years for the scent of a rose to overcome the dryness of the air. Augusta Luise is a good example of this. I hope you enjoy B. Diane

• totoro z7b Md
    6 years ago

New for me, Guy de Maupassant. I sort of smell apple.

• totoro z7b Md
    6 years ago

The new Austin Dessdemona is globular. I wonder if anyone in UK wants to share their experience.