SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
dandmack

Please help first-time poster select paint color!

Momshouse
4 years ago

Hello! PLEASE help me choose a paint color that will bring our small, 1890, East-north facing living room together, and set us in our way toward a unified (paint-wise ;)) house! :) Attached are some pics of the room (with many "wrong" samples on the walls).

The white is BM Simply White, which we did to cover the PO's darker colors. We're hoping to add some contrast on the walls, but are looking for an overall calm, light, cozy feeling (in this room and throughout the house). I really like the Simply White and how it looks in our house, but we feel that the room could stand to be energized a bit with the right color on the walls, and some contrast with the window and ceiling trim.

(Or maybe not? There's already a lot going on in there....)

So far we've tried (all BM colors) Revere Pewter (lovely in the south-facing kitchen, but drab and greenish in the living room, and not quite in the right color family); Vermont Slate, which provided fantastic contrast, but which was WAY too dark and heavy, and turned a dark teal/hunter green that was way too heavy and too matchy-matchy in a very bad way; Lewiville/Georgian green, which is nice but feels very wrong in there (same for Spring has Sprung - just seems wrong) much of the day; and Linen White, which is too yellow.

i was considering scanning the background of the floral fabric, which appears Ivory/tan against the Simply White, and seeing how that goes. Or, maybe trying a light greenish-gray, but don't want it to always seem like a rainy day inside (which is why I tried the brighter greens.) The 2 windows in the pics face east, but the large tree out front blocks a lot of that light. We also live in New England and have long, cold, gray winters.

Pics of the room, sofa, fabric and granite slab , and view into the adjoining dining room (matching loveseat is in that room, and all walls are Simply White) are attached, so you can get an idea of what is going on. The heavy sample wall has a lot of Revere pewter plus some of the greens. We can't change the fabric on the sofa or the loveseat. They are well-made Henredon pieces that we inherited and are willing to work around - they're comfortable, fit the space reasonably well, and the price was right! :)

We'd love to know what you recommend! We'd like to keep a similar look and feel throughout the house.

Thank you SO much in advance for your help!

Comments (2)