SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publick_man

Morganton Midcentury Coffee Table at Leeland Little

Lars/J. Robert Scott
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I finally found the coffee table that my brother bought in Palm Springs at Leeland Little auction.

Our coffee table is 58"W x 18¾"D x 16"H - the auction rounded the 18¾" to 19", but the rest is the same. On the bottom of our table are the same marks, except ours has 8-58 instead of 6-60.

I think the 975-0 is the same, but I will have to check. I wonder if 8-58 and 6-60 refer to dates.

It took me a very long time to find this table on line, and so I think that it is not a very common table. It is nice to see that it is identified as walnut. I wasn't sure whether it was walnut or teak, as I have not had time to look at that grain that closely. From the color, it looks more like teak, but whatever it is, it has very find grain.

The table at auction sold for $200 (plus shipping from Hillsborough, NC), and my brother paid $400 in Palm Springs, but we were able to take it home with us, since we were in his pickup. I really, really love this table, especially because the shelf is so low, and therefore we can easily see what we store there. When I get a chance (i.e., when I have enough light), I will photograph the one we bought. The seller wanted $495 for it, and the shop where he had it on consignment said that he had offered a $75 price reduction to someone else, and then my brother asked if he would take $400 for it. I thought it should have been $250, since it is American instead of Danish, as the seller said it was, but since I love it so much, I think it is worth the $400, and I would have been upset if we had not bought it. I also think that if it were in a shop in Los Angeles, it would be at least twice as much, and so I think location has a lot to do with pricing. If it were in England or France, the price would be lower, as MCM is not appreciated as much there.

Does anyone know anything else about this table? Do you think it is from 1958? What else do you know about Morganton? What do the number signify? BTW, our table is in perfect condition and does not have any marks or scratches on the top. I think the person who paid $200 for it got an extremely good deal, but I am also happy that we were able to see it in person before buying it.

I also think that almost everything at this auction was sold way below its actual value. I'm going to have to watch future auctions. A new book I bought, Danish Modern, warns that furniture often sells higher at auction than at stores, but this does not seem to be the case with this auction.

Comments (11)