SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman

Did you have a drought this year? How did you fare? My Review.

Keeping in mind I kinda use this board as an archive of the life and times of my trees, this can be boring to others. It's a bit for myself to document what I take care off.

This has been a hellaciously dry year here in between DC and Annapolis, in my micro-climate yard. (Yes, "micro-climate" according to NCPP.) Sometimes as many as 2 weeks without rain.

My 6' tall Corillium lost all its leaves and is just starting to rebud. Not on all the branches, but at least some. I was afraid it was history. In the same garden, though, Waterfall and Green Cascade thrived, as did a Grandma Ghost in a pot, set into the garden!

My Red Pygmy, Brocade and Kamagata had a lot of singed leaves, as did my Iijima Sunago, Tamukeyama, Oregon Sunset, Lozita and Sanzanami. Insane.

Many of my new, 2-year grafts have survived and will be appropriately potted when they go dormant, but oh, man, it was tough keeping them moist.

A Sun Valley I bought too late to plant has struggled, but kept in the shade and watered, it'll go in the ground once dormant. I'm sure it's Terribly root bound. The Red Sunset, Autumn Blaze, Brandywine, and Somerset I treated for borers responded with incredible growth. The beeches I treated for their borers responded well, but the largest tree is still recovering. (I hate to say "struggling.) The American white birches show no sign of blight at this point. The Volubile and Beni schichihenge underneath them seem to be thriving as well.

Interestingly enough, although they get too much sun and green terribly, my two Fireballs, Trompenburg, Okagami, Sherwood Flame, Burgundy Lace and Chantilly Lace had surprisingly little leaf curling and I think will continue to thrive. My Otaki, which I don't believe to be a Japonicum 'Otaki' didn't like the sun and showed my by not growing, but it didn't die, nor have any leaf burn. Hmm.

Aoba Jo, Tana, and Emperor I are doing well.

The Aconitifolium, Vitifolium, Kinran, Attaryi, and Bonfire I planted last fall have survived full sun with nice, new growth. The Boskoop Glory I moved out of a clay soil (previous year's planting) showed definite happiness with its new location.

Butterfly didn't care about anything.
My Oshi Beni, Inaba Shidare, Garnet, and Winter Flame seem to have done very well in full sun, but Oh, I can't wait until the bigger trees can do their job and make shade!

The ones that stayed the best red in full sun are the Fireballs, Trompenburg, and Emperor I. Okagami gave it a good go, but in September, finally greened. Sherwood Flame did the same.

Now we'll see how the 68 I have in pots do over this winter. It's always a crap shoot, although after my visit from Owen Reich last year, I've had a lot better health of my trees. It's amazing what a little bug prevention and fertilizer will do! LOL!

How did your garden grow?

Comments (4)