SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stanleyridge

Wolf DF304-LP @ 9800 ft

Stanley Ridge
7 years ago

I am building a cabin in the mountains of Colorado and have ordered a Wolf DF304-LP range. Property is at about 9800 feet above sea level. GC is installing all of my appliances. Sales center told me they install without high-altitude kit and if there are problems would send out repair to install the kit. Should I insist it be included at initial install?

Comments (4)

• geoffrey_b
    7 years ago

I would say yes - it's not a marginally high altitude - it's IS a high altitude.

High Altitude Kit

• Fori
    7 years ago

Where is the sales center located? Are they used to selling these things at your altitude?

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    7 years ago

Yes, insist on getting the high altitude jets installed. At 9800', you won't have even close to the right air-fuel with sea-level jets, they'll burn extremely rich. And of course you're going to need high altitude jets for LP, not natural gas.

I did the jet switch on our Monogram gas cooktop, since we self-installed in our "only" ;) 8300' house, and it was a pain but doable *before* actual installation. Hopefully the Wolf is easier, as the Monogram was sort of like playing the old Operation kids game. This was in 2010, so design could be quite different now, I suppose/hope.

Unless you've cooked awhile at altitude, I recommend playing around with boiling and simmering water with an instant-read thermometer, so you have an idea of how much longer/different heat you'll need for recipes. I had a Monogram range down around 5k' altitude and loved the dual-stack simmer burners, but up higher here the same simmer setting on the cooktop never gets hot enough for an actual simmer temp.

Also, "Pie in the Sky" is an excellent high altitude baking cookbook.

Stanley Ridge thanked mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
  • Stanley Ridge
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you mtnfever. I have gone back and asked that they include the kit on delivery. I have been cooking at altitude for the past 8 years, in a camper. So, even more disadvantage. Looking forward to a full real kitchen.