SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hobokenkitchen

Buying a church seemed like a good idea.....

hobokenkitchen
7 years ago

I don't know if anyone I 'know' is still here, but we sold our latest GW kitchen a month ago and I'm now the proud owner of a small converted chapel.

'Quirky' seemed like a great idea, but now I'm facing a couple of significant issues.

One is the windows. In short what should be an amazing feature of the home, are in fact awful.

They are big wood frame windows with a big arch at the top and I have 3 of them. They are in poor shape. The wood isn't in great shape and they definitely leak air which is going to be brutal if we have a tough winter. Aesthetically they are also bad because the previous owner put hideous privacy glass into the bottom panels. Ideally I would like to put stained glass into the windows, but replacing the glass with stained glass is expensive (around $6,000) and I would be putting expensive glass into crappy frames.

An option would be to add storm windows, but the quote the realtor got (I didn't know until after we closed) was $7000 for custom storm windows which sounds like an INSANE amount of money for storm windows to me.

Does anyone have any creative suggestions for me? I was considering changing out the privacy glass panels for regular glass and doing some kind of stick on faux solution but I still have my leaky windows and even that solution would cost about $1400.

I'm kind of flummoxed here. If I can avoid spending $15,000 + on 3 windows which wouldn't even include tidying up the wood frames then that would be good!

Comments (45)